Author Topic: Probing the APS bank of knowledge  (Read 6596 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Probing the APS bank of knowledge
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 06:57:38 PM »
Ah, this thread takes me back to writing my master's thesis back in 82 on the quantitative analysis of barbituates in urine using GC/MS.  Now, most of these tests are all automated: load the sample into the cassette, press 'test' and walk away.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 07:51:10 PM »
I'm on a few rehab sites and this bath salt stuff can ROYALLY *expletive deleted*ck you up.  BAD, BAD, BAD stuff....
One day at a time.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 08:39:08 PM »
I'm on a few rehab sites and this bath salt stuff can ROYALLY *expletive deleted* you up.  BAD, BAD, BAD stuff....

Funny how the legal stuff is worse for you than the illegal stuff.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:54:27 PM »
Skilled chemists can make synthetic cannabinoids that are not illegal but still have psychoactive effects just by changing a couple of molecules.

In a former place of employment, I used to run prep-HPLCs to purify Delta-9 THC that the guys in the lab next door made synthetically. On a shift I was yielding about 200gm of 99.5%+ Delta-9 which we then mixed with ethanol. The stuff smelled divine.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

brimic

• friends
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 11:07:37 PM »
It's expensive, because the hair essentially is vaporized in a gas chromatograph. The machine is expensive, and it's labor intensive, because a lab tech has to walk through the whole process with each sample. Granted, computers do a lot of the heavy lifting and analysis now, but it's still some "real lab work".

The hair samples would probably run in a LC Mass Spec machine which cost upwards of $100,000 and usually need an attachment called a PhD level Analytical chemist to run which costs even more.
Yes, its very expensive and very labor intensive work.
We used to have a PhD Chemist from India who ran our LC-MS and GC-MS machines would talk your ears off for hours about how she did the analysis if you had time to listen.  =D

Barack Obama

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2012, 11:09:39 PM »
In a former place of employment, I used to run prep-HPLCs to purify Delta-9 THC that the guys in the lab next door made synthetically. On a shift I was yielding about 200gm of 99.5%+ Delta-9 which we then mixed with ethanol. The stuff smelled divine.

That's interesting.  Assuming that your process was stripping out aromatic esters, that implies that the THC-Delta-9 actually has a scent.  (Honest question) Is that true?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
That's interesting.  Assuming that your process was stripping out aromatic esters, that implies that the THC-Delta-9 actually has a scent.  (Honest question) Is that true?

Yes, it had a nice smell to it.

Edit: It didn't hurt that it was mixed with ethanol either which has a very pleasant smell to me as well.
The THC smelled a bit like weak turpentine or pine-sol.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 11:16:17 PM by brimic »

Barack Obama