Author Topic: I'm not normally one to talk about my real life too much  (Read 6608 times)

Iain

• friend
Re: I'm not normally one to talk about my real life too much
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2007, 01:08:45 AM »
I got back relatively early last night, we packed my mum off to bed and left because they weren't willing to be as flexible over visiting hours as they had been the night before. Only two slots 3-4pm and 7-8pm. The waiting room in critical care isn't a very nice place to be when it is full of relatives.

They started bringing him out during the afternoon yesterday, but very gradually. I was the first in at 7pm last night and was talking to his nurse about how that would be done, when he would come off the ventilator. She said the last thing they wanted was for him to come around too quick and start pulling on the tubes because he was more awake than they wanted. I left the room at about 7.15 to let my elder brother join the younger one in there. Soon after the younger one came out and sent my mother in because he had suddenly woken and been struggling, he'd tried to pull the ventilator before the nurse and my brothers stopped him. They put him back deeper and said they'd be starting again early this morning, apparently they try and respect day/night these days because waking them up at night can really mess with them.

Despite it not being in the plan they were pleased that he moved all four limbs and that his response was appropriate, after all, waking with a tube down your throat is not a pleasant experience.

Sounds odd, but he looked so much more substantial yesterday. After the surgery last night the most upsetting thing was how frail and insubstantial he looked.

His church held a drop in prayer meeting last night, apparently about thirty people showed up.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2007, 01:34:02 AM »
Thank you for the update, Iain. Still praying for a full recovery.
Mike Irwin, that just broke my heart.
I'm so sorry.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2007, 11:32:19 AM »
Despite it not being in the plan they were pleased that he moved all four limbs and that his response was appropriate, after all, waking with a tube down your throat is not a pleasant experience.
At least you can be comforted with the fact he will probably not remember any of that.
I was in that position once, and the first thing I remember was them pulling the catheter out. shocked I swear, that thing was about 8 feet long!
I spent 7 days on a ventilator, but it was a lot harder on my family than it was on me.

He'll be fine, I'm sure of that.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2007, 11:35:42 AM »
You have my prayers and best wishes.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Iain

• friend
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2007, 01:27:46 PM »
At least you can be comforted with the fact he will probably not remember any of that.
I was in that position once, and the first thing I remember was them pulling the catheter out. shocked I swear, that thing was about 8 feet long!

They said that he probably won't remember. He did pull his feeding tube out this morning, but he doesn't remember doing that. Quite an odd situation really, he wants to know what has happened to him, but whether or not it is the side-effects of the bleed, the surgery or the anathaesia, he isn't quite all there yet.

Mum explained to him where he was and what had happened and he seemed to understand, got a bit weepy. He recognises us all, including my SIL who has only been around the last five years or so. But, when asked his address he gave an address we lived in about 20-25 years ago, and then couldn't tell Mum who was born there. On the whole, that's probably not important, but we may have a few days of having to tell him over and over where he is and what happened. He looked very surprised to be told he was in Coventry earlier, and that wasn't the first time someone had told him.

Odd to be in the waiting room trying to contain relief amongst other families who aren't perhaps as fortunate.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2007, 08:17:41 PM »
My wife and sister told me that when I still had my ventilator, but was awake, they gave me some paper and a pen to keep me busy. I wrote something like "I am not allowed to pinch the nurses butts" then made the motions as if I was laughing.
Sis told me that wasn't funny and I wrote "its effin funny". I was semi coherent but pretty goofy and don't remember a thing about it.

I don't even remember much of the first day out of ICU. They keep you pretty doped up so you won't rip out your tubes so, I think the fact he remembers things which happened 20 years ago is a very good sign.

She kept that piece of paper though, as proof.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Iain

• friend
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2007, 02:10:06 AM »
The thing they've got us doing is keeping a diary. The idea is to record what happens so that in future he can start to make sense of fuzzy memories, what was a dream and what actually happened. I've been writing in it the most, but everyone has recorded bits and pieces. Reading something my brother wrote yesterday I discovered that my father asked him what he was doing and he told him that he was writing in his Critical Care diary. Father called him a stupid boy, which is about normal.

Hopefully though he'll see the value in it later.

News this morning is much the same as last night, so good.

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2007, 04:30:47 AM »
Thank you for the updates.

Take care out there.

Trisha
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2007, 06:50:00 AM »
The thing they've got us doing is keeping a diary. The idea is to record what happens so that in future he can start to make sense of fuzzy memories, what was a dream and what actually happened.
That's an excellent idea!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2007, 10:46:51 AM »
If he's a good-humored man and would laugh at it, make two diaries, a real one and one that's full of wacky falsehoods. 

When he's in the clear, hit him first with the one that details all the embarassing fake comments and actions he didn't actually make or do.

Then of course confess and give him the real one, and the pleasure of whupping up on you.  Blame the brother for the idea.  smiley
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2007, 04:06:33 PM »
If he's a good-humored man and would laugh at it, make two diaries, a real one and one that's full of wacky falsehoods. 

When he's in the clear, hit him first with the one that details all the embarassing fake comments and actions he didn't actually make or do.

Then of course confess and give him the real one, and the pleasure of whupping up on you.  Blame the brother for the idea.  smiley

Carebear, you're infringing on Sindawe's claim to evilness.  police

Thanks for the updates, Iain.
Andy

Iain

• friend
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2007, 01:04:42 PM »
We've already told him that on Friday when he was told that my cousin was pregnant he looked over at the nurse and said 'Oh, it's you. Congratulations.'

He's slowly getting better, it's only really beginning to sink in for all of us how long this road might be. The drain is still in his head, and he is off the Critical Care ward, now on a neuro ward. Going for another angiogram tomorrow, they want to try and find the source of the bleed.

He's getting very emotional, which is unlike him. Possibly the drugs and all, possibly the head trauma. Partly though, my mother thinks that he is struggling to come to terms with how sick he has been, and how sick he still is. He told us that the patient opposite had some big problems, 'of course' we replied, you are on a neuro ward right next to the nurses' station.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2007, 01:35:47 PM »
Iain, just catching up on this thread.  Thanks for sharing.  My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family, and I'm glad to hear that he is making progress.  It's a long slow road, but neuro recovery usually is.  That's the disheartening thing I've found with neuro issues.  It's like a bolt of lightning when it hits, unpredictable, severe, and instantaneous, but the recovery is long and drawn out.  Just know that it will take time, and don't be disappointed not to see immediate results and recovery.  He'll get better, but it's going to take time. 
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2007, 07:04:19 PM »
Another voice here glad for the positive sounding update smiley

And in case you're like me and rarely check your 'personal messages' inbox, you've got mail!
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2007, 06:46:29 AM »
Any updates Ian?

mountainclmbr

• friend
  • Sunset, Casa Mountainclmbr
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2007, 06:59:38 AM »
Iain,

Glad to hear there is some progress. I really hope the recovery is quick. Please post updates when you are able.
Just say no to Obama, Osama and Chelsea's mama.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2007, 07:05:31 AM »
Any updates Ian?

Nothing too much. He's ok, not as weepy. Mother crashed yesterday which had been coming, spent more time dealing with her during visiting than actually talking to him. They'd let her in to be there for his latest scan, and she'd gotten all worked up over expecting the results and a plan of action. Wasn't going to happen that same day, especially as it turns out the neuro's had several major incidents head their way yesterday. She was over tired, been running on tea and adrenaline for near a week. That has been taken in hand.

We're waiting to find out what the scan report says, if they found the source of the bleed and want or need to deal with it then we've got more surgery to look forward to.

Thanks for the concern guys, I'll update when we know what they plan to do.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2007, 07:09:34 AM »
Prayers are with you and yours my friend.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Iain

• friend
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2007, 12:39:40 PM »
The drain came out today. Which was not in the plan. Somehow it got accidentally dislodged so they removed it about 24hrs sooner than they had planned to. Also the scan results came back showing nothing again, so there are to be no scheduled further surgical interventions.

I say scheduled because the drain may have to go back in. Unlikely, because he made it through the first few hours after removal without slipping into any sort of coma type state, still knows where he is and what is going on. Unfortunately, as is usual, he has a pounding headache. Couple that with no sleep the night before (post-op patients moved into his bay twice during the night) and him throwing up his dinner whilst we were there, and I'm not such a relaxed bunny tonight.

They assure us it is all normal, and I'm sure it is.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2007, 01:44:37 PM »
Thanks for the update Ian. Sounds like he's holding his own.
Nausea associated with head trauma is not surprising and if he has been on a tube for a while, "real" food is hard to keep down.

I've been there. When I got my tube out they put me right on solid food, big mistake.

Iain

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2007, 02:29:35 PM »
The tube is for draining hydrocephalus. The bleed caused blockage of the cerebrospinal fluid, which accumulates and causes the pressure inside the head to rise. This is what has caused all the symptoms, pressure on the brain, and it can cause damage.

The drain was still letting csf out, not in large quantities though. Still it seems to be the case that the csf isn't circulating properly and is causing a problem. If it's going to cause a major problem we are assured it will have done so by now, and that things usually start to return to normal (if they are going to*) withing 24hrs or so.

(* - the possibility of a permanent drain, draining into his abdominal cavity, not sure how, has been discussed as a possibility should normal conditions not return)

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2007, 02:51:56 PM »
The tube is for draining hydrocephalus
I'm sorry, I was thinking of the breathing tube. Hope things look better tomorrow.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2007, 03:13:43 PM »
Iain, somehow I failed to catch this thread earlier.  I'm sorry to hear about your father's condition.  I'm not familiar enough with it to offer any insight, but you have my support and thoughts.  I hope you see improvement soon.
For entertainment purposes only.

J.J.

• Just your average
  • friend
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2007, 08:51:45 PM »
Ian-
  I am much the same way about not one to talk about my life too much....but in times like you are going through it is the best way to get things off of your chest without holding anything back.  And discussing the problems in regards t

We are here to listen, and be a shoulder to cry on if needed.

May I suggest a website: www.carepages.com 
You may think of setting one up so that you don't have to call everyone when something changes.  Esp. if you expect this situation to last for any length of time.  I am not sure how long term this will be for you and your family. So i hesitantly mentioned that site.

I am sorry I have not kept up with your thread but honestly I was so caught up in my own sons medical problems I was afraid to read yours..It was very selfish of me.

I will say it another time..We are here to listen/read whenever you need us.

Ron

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2007, 08:54:38 PM »
Been out of town for a while and just catching up.

I am glad things are looking promising!