Author Topic: Good floor jack?  (Read 6616 times)

DJJ

• friend
Good floor jack?
« on: April 12, 2007, 05:37:30 PM »
I need a floor jack, and it seems my two primary choices are an auto parts store, or Sears. Looking at all the negative reviews on the jacks on Sears' website, I don't think I'll be getting one of theirs. Anyone have any opinions/experience? It doesn't have to be portable, though at 100+ lb, some of the bigger ones are too big. I'd like it to be a low profile, but with a good lift range (got a small car and a pickup truck) and the type with the quick lift from the bottom to first contact.

I'll take good over cheap. Thanks.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Good floor jack?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 09:01:30 PM »
Maybe the quality of Craftsman tools has declined over the years.

I have a heavy Craftsman floor jack that I bought in the early 1990's. It was a lot of money then, but it keeps going and going. And I've really given it some workouts.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 04:39:38 AM »
Maybe the quality of Craftsman tools has declined over the years.

Yep, Craftsman quality has gone down the drain. Off-brand tools are just as good as the name-brand tools, we have discovered, and a heck of a lot cheaper. Mind you don't buy too cheaply, but they are pretty good quality. We used to buy Craftsman exclusivly, too. The only thing Craftsman has going for them is the name and the lifetime warrenty, but even that is provided by many of the off-brand manufactorers. Getting tools exchanged was a pain in the ass with Craftsman, too.

We use one of the no-brand Chinese-made jacks from Harbor Freight. Rated at 3 tons, costs about $50. Works just fine. No quick lift, though. It sounds like you want one of the aluminum 'racing' jacks with the quick lift. (I must ask why you need the quick lift, though). From what I know, it lifts faster, but takes more force to operate.

Whatever you choose, don't forget the jackstands. Don't use concrete blocks.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 05:00:40 AM »
I have a 3 ton floor jack I bought from Walmart 6-7 years ago for $35 on sale. I works well for me but I only need to use it maybe a dozen times a year. Some day I'm going to upgrade to one of those 3' long garage jacks but I want to wait until I own a house and don;t have to move a 200# jack every time I move.

Anytime you lift a vehicle and have to get under it or have it up in the air longer than a tire change, you need to be using jack stands. Don't use cinder blocks we had a guy when I grew up who used to do the cinder block thing until a vehicle fell on him, news was he died a slow and painful death from his chest being crushed.

-charby
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 05:04:18 AM »
I have a cheap 2ton jack I bought at either wal-mart or an auto parts store in the early 90s.  I've used it on every car from my Beetle to my 4Runner and it has never let me down.  For the 4Runner, I sometimes have to use blocks to lift it high enough for the wheels to leave the ground, but that's only when lifting from via the frame.  If I lift the entire rear via the diff, it'll hold the entire rear of the vehicle off the ground and hold it.

Chris

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 05:15:38 AM »
Be careful with the "quick lift" jacks.  Fewer strokes per amount of lift means less mechanical leverage (harder to lift a given amount of weight).  My brother bought a quick-lift two-tonner a couple of years back.  It might have been able to support two tons, but you couldn't get enough weight on the handle to lift it!

Other than that, just look at the thing.  If it looks ruggedly constructed, seems to use quality fasteners and joints, and has an overall feel of quality it's probably going to be fine.  Plan on spending a minimum of $50-70 for a decent 1.5-2.0 ton unit.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

mfree

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 06:19:46 AM »
Seems to me that a manufacturer could put the handle on a springed hinge, and when the effort increases past the tension of the spring it changes from the bigger fast piston over to the smaller "slow" piston.

Maybe they already do... I don't have a floor jack at the moment and all the ones I've used were the classic ones.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2007, 12:01:53 PM »
If you have a NAPA auto parts store near you, check out the floor jacks they sell. Usually the tools they sell are of good quality.

I bought two cherry-picker type engine hoists from them, and they were very good quality.

It's a shame about Craftsman. That 3-foot floor jack I bought has seen a lot of duty, and still works great.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2007, 12:34:59 PM »
The only problem I have with NAPA is that there are not enough stores near me. I always liked being able to pick up parts for the tractor or boat while I was getting car parts there. Yep, NAPA's good quality.

'

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Trisha

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2007, 12:49:41 PM »
OTC is a pretty significant, quality company, from what I was able to research.  I chose an OTC Tools Quick Lift 3-1/2-Ton Service Jack, Model # 1526.

It isn't Made in USA, but it does have a service parts list that is stocked, and my initial impressions (using it as the jack to get my F150 up on 5-ton OTC jack stands while I work on it) are completely favorable.  If you go to the OTC website and then Google their "Lifetime Warranty, Made in USA Sevice Jacks" by model number, it'll become quickly aparrent why the model I chose was as much as I could afford.

Two stage, too, btw.

I paid $160 + freight.
and cello sonatas flow through the air. . .

"Diversity is our strength!"

Art Eatman

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 12:55:04 PM »
Hein-Warner is probably the best, but they're pricey.

I have two floor jacks I got from Sam's Wholesale.  I've been using them for, oh, maybe since 1994 or so.  Never a problem.  Lessee:  A two-ton and a three-ton.  I use the three-ton on any full-size vehicle.  The two-ton has been the tool for many a tire change on my Toyota PU, and a fair amount of underneath work on various jobs.

I use a 20-ton bottle-jack on my dumptruck. Cheesy

Art
The American Indians learned what happens when you don't control immigration.

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2007, 02:39:39 PM »
I must ask why you need the quick lift, though.

Well, I don't; I'd like to have it.

From what I know, it lifts faster, but takes more force to operate.

Be careful with the "quick lift" jacks.  Fewer strokes per amount of lift means less mechanical leverage (harder to lift a given amount of weight).  My brother bought a quick-lift two-tonner a couple of years back.  It might have been able to support two tons, but you couldn't get enough weight on the handle to lift it!

I did not know that. Not surprised that there's a catch. In that case, I'll do without. I still need a low minimum height and a good lift range.

And I've got jackstands, and evidently, Sears doesn't warranty anything hydraulic.

armchair warrior

• friends
  • QuickDraw on THR
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2007, 08:45:51 PM »
I'll second Hein-Warner.
Thats what we used in the shop I used to work at.
I have a Sears at home.Never any trouble,but I
don't use it that much.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2007, 05:45:25 AM »
Evidently, Sears doesn't warranty anything hydraulic.

Sears/Craftsman does not warranty hydraulics, power tools, or torque wrenches. And of course, not anything like the table saws and stuff. And as I said before, they are hell to deal with in getting warranty replacement on the hand tools, which are the only things warranted for life.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2007, 07:24:34 AM »
I am an aficionado of 1940-1970s tools,
back when they were made to last, not to be consumed

ebay, craigslist and swap meets, and pawn shops are the oasis

for something like a new floor jack
I suppose the Harbor Freight chinese suppliers have most likely picked a good patent to infringe...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Rovi

« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2007, 09:25:30 AM »
Is this the sort of thing the OP is think about?-
http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/shopcart/TOOL/POR_TOOL_ACHyd1_pg1.htm

I've got an older version of the 2 ton model, and it's without question the best floor jack I've ever had.
It works under everything except possibly the lowest of lowered cars, and handles 4x4/trucks equally easily.
I can lift each corner of an SUV individually from one side of the vehicle, without having to trundle the jack all the way around to get to the far side  grin

They're fitted with a foot pedal which lets you quickly bring the pad up to the load, and you then take over with the conventional handle.

Far from cheap, I know, but it's a superb piece of gear.
I don't doubt that other manufacturers do similar jacks for more reasonable money.

Car Knocker

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2007, 11:29:23 AM »
And as I said before, they are hell to deal with in getting warranty replacement on the hand tools, which are the only things warranted for life.
Last time I broke a socket, I walked in, gave it to the salesman, he handed me a new one.  I walked out.  No muss, no fuss, no hassle.
Don

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2007, 01:45:29 PM »
Wow - those DK jacks look sweet! Look at that lift height! That one's bookmarked.

Boomhauer

• friends
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2007, 02:09:01 PM »
Last time I broke a socket, I walked in, gave it to the salesman, he handed me a new one.  I walked out.  No muss, no fuss, no hassle.

Last argument we had with them, my father had taken a torque wrench that he had purchased back when they did cover torque wrenches. They didn't want to exchange it. After an argument, they finally exchanged it. I've got some sockets and screwdrivers that need exchanging. We will see how they take it. I just do not believe they are worth the cost anymore. And I hate Bob Villa.

A question, though- since Sears purchased Kmart, and Kmart has been carrying Craftsman tools IIRC, will they exchange at Kmart?

Those DK jacks are nice, but way too expensive. Maybe when I finally get my dream shop/hanger built I can get one.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2007, 03:46:50 PM »
Same experience here re: Sears had tools.

One day in rapid fire fashion I split a 1/2" drive socket down the side and twisted the heads off both a 1/2" extension and a 3/8"-1/2" adapter. Sears just handed me new ones. That was about 7 years ago though...

That was the most severely stuck lug nut I've ever tried to remove in my LIFE. Rear wheel on a supremely rusty tempo... when the socket split I was pulling straight up on it with a 16" breaker and when it let go the entire car kinda bounced...

Thor

• friend
  • US Navy (retired)
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2007, 07:19:26 AM »
I bought some off brand floor jack that has a "quick up" feature. That being, it has a foot lever on the side to raise the lifting head up to the frame (or lifting point) in one stroke. I've had it for a decade now. I think I got it either at Northern Tools or at Sam's. I really forget. Obtaining an old, used floor jack could present problems as the hydraulic ram will probably be leaky, either internally or externally. Then it would require rebuilding.
" a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand." - Lucius Annaeus

for Military, Vets, & Supporters, check out:
USMILNET

Conservative Discussion Forum

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2007, 06:17:29 AM »
I've got one of the harbor freight ones. Nice jack. Heavy as all get-out.

As for loosening stuck stuff... Kroil, and an impact wrench. It may take a while, but hey...

Blog under construction

onions!

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 03:01:32 AM »
I have one of the NAPA pro line 2.5 ton jacks.Bought it 15+ years ago.Works great.
I also have one of their $49 2 ton specials.I needed a jack & the big dog was in the wrong end of a storage unit.This thing is maybe 3/4 the size,about 11 years old,& my go-to jack just because it's a bit more convenient to maneuver.>shrug<

FWIW,NAPA pro tools,Craftsmen,KD,Stanley,the old New Britain,& likely one or two others all come out of the same factory.The NAPA tool rep told me years ago that they were the same tool w/a different name stamp.In fact,on more than one occasion,we received Craftsmen sockets in our NAPA tool stock orders when the NAPA marked stuff was backordered.

IMO the overall quality,the fit & finish,of (consumer,ie.not MAC,MATCO,Snap Off) hand tools seems to have declined in the last fifteen or so years.I'll second Harold Tuttle's recomendation to go second hand.

OTC tools are worth the money.

Polishrifleman

• friend
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2007, 01:35:08 PM »
Wide base and low profile are two items I would mention.  All of them are heavy and some maneuver better than others.  I have a 3 ton one I bought at Costco that works well and then I bought a two ton one with jack stands (primarily for the jack stands) at the local Shuck's auto for $19.99 on sale.