Author Topic: Mental health and gun laws.  (Read 11831 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Mental health and gun laws.
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2013, 10:19:36 AM »
there are many people who are capable of walking the streets who would be less capable with a gun. at least in real life as opposed to some hypothetical construct.unless of course we want to really tighten up on who we let walk the streets and thats not awfully libertarian
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2013, 10:26:20 AM »
there are many people who are capable of walking the streets who would be less capable with a gun. at least in real life as opposed to some hypothetical construct.unless of course we want to really tighten up on who we let walk the streets and thats not awfully libertarian

Your "reality" is a slippery slope of decision making for other people.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2013, 10:33:23 AM »
If they are so mentally incapable that they can not be trusted with a gun why do we trust them with cars, boats, knives, sporks, and all manner of other potentially dangerous gadgets?
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2013, 10:37:06 AM »
If they are so mentally incapable that they can not be trusted with a gun why do we trust them with cars, boats, knives, sporks, and all manner of other potentially dangerous gadgets?

there are quite a number of fols we allow the freedom to walk the streets who we don't allow to drive   is it your position we need to imprison those folks?  why?   wwrpd?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2013, 11:23:45 AM »
csd,

Context, dude. Read the whole post, not just the part you quotateded.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
there are quite a number of fols we allow the freedom to walk the streets who we don't allow to drive   is it your position we need to imprison those folks?  why?   wwrpd?
Oh FFS dude.

A little context and critical thinking, please.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

• friends
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
In the context of this discussion, mental illness and guns, there are a great many folks whose mental illness makes them armed " not optimal". At the same time many are quite fit to mingle in the real world. Or do you think my paranoid schizo brother is safe with guns? Or maybe you advocate for greater institutionalization?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2013, 02:54:19 PM »
Here's what Balog said:

If someone is not mentally competent to own guns, they probably shouldn't be allowed to walk the streets. So if someone is so crazy and dangerous that they have been adjudicated by a court of law (including zealous representation on their side) to be such a danger to themselves and others as to require involuntary treatment and/or confinement then yeah they probably hsouldn't be allowed to buy guns from a dealer.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2013, 03:09:26 PM »
In the context of this discussion, mental illness and guns, there are a great many folks whose mental illness makes them armed " not optimal". At the same time many are quite fit to mingle in the real world. Or do you think my paranoid schizo brother is safe with guns? Or maybe you advocate for greater institutionalization?
Is your paranoid schizo brother likely to have a psychotic break from reality and listen to the voices when they tell him to start stabbing up the KFC with his evil black assault spork? If so than yes, he should be institutionalized until he is no longer likely to do so. I don't particularly want to get pummeled with a brick, shot by a gun, blown up by refined cow *expletive deleted* and fermented dino juice, or stabbed with an evil black assault spork when your brother goes on his voices inspired rampage. And if he is likely to do so, as found by a court after review and representation in his "defense", he is a valid danger to society and should be in an appropriate institution.

If he has an effective medication combo, follows the treatment regimen, and isn't likely to listen to the voices in his head he should not be in an institution and I see no issue with him having a firearm. To suggest otherwise implies that there is an inherent danger from the firearm itself, when it is merely a tool. If he goes off his meds and shoots up the KFC and only resorts to his evil black assault spork when he runs out of ammo, the matter should be handed over to the courts and dealt with accordingly. And if such a scenario is likely, see paragraph one.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:13:21 PM by lupinus »

birdman

• friend
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2013, 04:08:08 PM »
The truly psychotic, whose first act of outward violence is murder or mass murder are quite rare, and thus not statistically significant enough to risk the rights of everyone else.

Take the truly "broken"...like the infamous serial killers, plus all the mass murderers, and you end up with a very small number of overall homicides.  Thus, mental health screening for firearms is a terrifyingly slippery slope for everyone else, and doesn't have a statistical effect--it ends up being an "if it saves just one life" fallacious argument that costs everyone else.

Psychology isn't predictive enough to do this, and even if it did, laws that punish the POTENTIAL to do things are bordering on Orwellian thought crime, not to mention in flagrant violation of multiple constitutional aspects.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2013, 08:31:40 PM »
All the people shot this past year by "deranged" gunmen is about equal to a busy summer weekend or two in Chicago.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2013, 11:16:00 AM »
While we worry about the random deranged shooter we have entire deranged subcultures and and a deranged government, but, hey, rock on.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2013, 12:03:36 PM »
How about when a government drone has a software glitch and crashes into a school full of children.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2013, 12:15:19 PM »
How about when a government drone has a software glitch and crashes into a school full of children.  =(

Unfortunate collateral damage in the glorious War on Terror!

or War on Some Drugs

Quiet down, citizen.
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2013, 12:17:16 PM »

Blame it on conservatives.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #65 on: January 15, 2013, 04:29:51 PM »

Or the drone is hacked and deliberately crashed into a school.

Our military drones have already been at least partially hacked. How long will it take the Chinese unknown persons to do it again?
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:47:19 AM by Fly320s »
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #66 on: January 15, 2013, 08:55:14 PM »

I'd bet a months pay (take home) that if that were to happen it would be reported that a racist, rightwing christian militia anti-government group had hacked the drone and crashed it on purpose.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2013, 12:43:04 AM »
I'd bet a months pay (take home) that if that were to happen it would be reported that a racist, rightwing christian militia anti-government group had hacked the drone and crashed it on purpose.

I suspect they would try to report it as a gas leak/explosion of some sort. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2013, 01:07:27 AM »
I suspect they would try to report it as a gas leak/explosion of some sort. 

Marsh gas.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #69 on: January 16, 2013, 09:45:39 AM »
Or the drone is hacked and deliberately crashed into a school.

Our military drones have already been at least partially hacked. How long will it take the Chinese unknown persons to do it again?

Or when an F-16 pilot accidentally strafed a school?  No, wait, that actually happened.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #70 on: January 16, 2013, 10:21:41 AM »
Drones are already regularly used to blow up weddings and birthday parties where someone Obama feels should die happens to be at.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2013, 12:53:40 AM »
I know a guy who's prescribed an anti-anxiety medication for restless leg syndrome.  I'm concerned that could be used as a dis-qualifier for firearm ownership.

One of the doc's my wife and I see asks if we feel safe at home.  Thing is, we're both in the room, at the same time, sitting side-by-side.  How in hell am I supposed to tell the doc I'm scared???

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2013, 06:15:50 AM »
I know a guy who's prescribed an anti-anxiety medication for restless leg syndrome.  I'm concerned that could be used as a dis-qualifier for firearm ownership.

One of the doc's my wife and I see asks if we feel safe at home.  Thing is, we're both in the room, at the same time, sitting side-by-side.  How in hell am I supposed to tell the doc I'm scared???

:rofl: :rofl:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2013, 03:39:54 PM »
Ask for political asylum ?

:rofl: :rofl:
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2013, 05:17:01 PM »
One of the doc's my wife and I see asks if we feel safe at home.

Sure!  I have a loaded gun on my hip and one or more other loaded guns in every room.

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin