Author Topic: The Gaga at the RNC?  (Read 3179 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
The Gaga at the RNC?
« on: April 09, 2013, 10:27:47 AM »
That Gaga person was asked to perform at the Stupid Party Natl. Convention.

http://news.radio.com/2013/04/03/lady-gaga-turned-down-a-million-dollars-to-play-republican-national-convention/

"Does that seem right to you?"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: The Gaga at the RNC?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »
Well, it is stoopid of them to invite her.  So, sure.  Fits perfectly.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 11:29:57 AM »
I would say I'm speechless. I'm not really, it's just that the filter would knock down whatever I have to say
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 11:49:44 AM »
That Gaga person was asked to perform at the Stupid Party Natl. Convention.

http://news.radio.com/2013/04/03/lady-gaga-turned-down-a-million-dollars-to-play-republican-national-convention/

"Does that seem right to you?"

She does have a mighty roar  =|

:lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Neemi

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2013, 01:20:31 PM »
She'll either

1. not go because she disagrees with the platforms

or

2. she'll go because she'llsee it as a way to make a statement to the 'unenlightened,' probably wearing some crazy outfit. Maybe a tin foil hat... [tinfoil]

She's kind of crazy, but her music is fun.

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 02:12:55 PM »
Too clever by half.

Glenn Reynolds makes a convincing argument that low information voters (people who get their news and world views from facebook and grocery store check out magazines) must be courted. Currently these magazines are constantly doing fluff pieces for Dems and throw away brain dead criticisms of Reps or conservative ideas. These pieces and commentary and opinions are not serious intellectual thought, but it creates the anti-rep culture among low info voters.

Glenn's recommended solution is for rich Rep boosters to buy their own women's interest magazines with the same tactic.

It seems the R party effort at this tactic is to go after Gaga to change the perception of these low info voters. This will backfire.
Hence, too clever by half.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 03:13:06 PM »
Well, they won't be gaining my vote with such tactics.
I loath lady gaga.

Why not approch country music stars? They seem to be getting more play in the general pop culture. I don't know,about Taylor Smith (meh) but I'm betting Miranda Lambert would hang with the republicans.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 04:00:55 PM »
Miranda Lambert might get my vote(s), but judging by her music she has a rather irresponsible stance on guns, at least if you're a man that pisses her off.

Send gaga in her meat dress and throw her on the BBQ.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 04:11:47 PM »
She'll either

1. not go because she disagrees with the platforms

or

2. she'll go because she'llsee it as a way to make a statement to the 'unenlightened,' probably wearing some crazy outfit. Maybe a tin foil hat... [tinfoil]

She's kind of crazy, but her music is fun.

There is no future tense involved.  She turned down an offer to "perform" at last year's (2012) RNC convention.  Said so right here:
According to conservative newspaper The Washington Examiner, Gaga turned down $1 million to perform during last summer’s Republican National Convention in Tampa, Florida.

Somebody at the RNC must have turned to somebody else and said something like: "We really need to bring some young blood into the party.  The current galley slaves are all getting ready to apply for Social Security, and then who's going to keep contributing to this sinking ship?"

And that somebody else called up a booking agent and explained that no, he was not calling to schedule the strippers but needed something to bring in the young folks.  Maybe one of those rock and roller people, if they did not wiggle their hips and did not let their hair grow over their eyes like that English group, "The Insects".  And the booking agent thought that even though $1M was pretty cheap for Lady Gag [sic] his 10% + expenses might cover a weekend with the stripppers, so he called her with the offer.

She got all huffy about the RNC only offering $1M to throw her LBGT base under the bus.

Now, the story is being reported again as filler/teaser about the booking agency getting sued for some other entertainment not showing up and doing their concert in the middle of a hurricane.

Never took an actual journalism course in my life.  Must be why I can wade through these sorts of stories for the few scraps of meat that might be in there.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 06:11:46 PM »
that English group, "The Insects".

Weren't they called "The Volkswagons" or something  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2013, 07:31:15 PM »
Weren't they called "The Volkswagons" or something  ???

I thought it was "The Wonders"
 :cool:
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2013, 08:53:56 PM »
I thought it was "The Wonders"
 :cool:
no, that was the One-ders or Oneders or something. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 09:21:31 AM »
Give up trying to make sense of republican actions; instead concentrate of seeing how consistent their actions are.  Republicans are known as the Stupid Party for good, historical reasons.  Consistency is their ever present virtue.  Republicans are consistently stupid.  There, does that make you feel better?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 09:59:06 AM »
Assume the GOP is run by a cabal of men & women wholly at odds with its stated principles and objectives and all the RNC's antics make perfect sense.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

brimic

• friends
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 11:22:51 AM »
Instead of worrying about crap like Gaga or other entertainment, the GOP had better concentrate on getting a conservative nominated- something they have been failing at miserably.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2013, 04:07:51 PM »
Instead of worrying about crap like Gaga or other entertainment, the GOP had better concentrate on getting a conservative nominated- something they have been failing at miserably.

But the conservatives are too extreme, you see. It's down to earth moderates like Gaga that will save us by making the GOP seem reasonable.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife