Author Topic: Thinking about more than web hosting...  (Read 1224 times)

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
Thinking about more than web hosting...
« on: August 13, 2010, 09:22:57 AM »
I'm toying with the idea of getting a private server somewhere.  Quite possibly virtual.

What do I plan on doing with it?  Various things, more than web hosting.

However, as it's mostly going to be hobby stuff, I don't want to spend too much money, so I'm looking mostly at Linux servers.  It's been four years since I last messed with Linux, but I know a number of you guys DO work with it regularly.

My questions:
1.  Do you know of a good site I can use to brush up on Linux\differences between it and windows?
2.  Is it possible to do a remote gui from a windows machine to a linux box?

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Re: Thinking about more than web hosting...
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2010, 01:55:41 PM »
I'm toying with the idea of getting a private server somewhere.  Quite possibly virtual.

What do I plan on doing with it?  Various things, more than web hosting.

However, as it's mostly going to be hobby stuff, I don't want to spend too much money, so I'm looking mostly at Linux servers.  It's been four years since I last messed with Linux, but I know a number of you guys DO work with it regularly.

My questions:
1.  Do you know of a good site I can use to brush up on Linux\differences between it and windows?
2.  Is it possible to do a remote gui from a windows machine to a linux box?

Linode.  You so want Linode, it's not funny.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »
RevDisk's right.  Linode is exactly what you want.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 07:47:24 PM »
That looks about right.

With an Ubunto install would I be able to access it's GUI from a windows box?

BrokenPaw

• friends
  • Sedit qvi timvit ne non svccederet.
    • ShadowGrove Interpath Ministry
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 01:25:48 AM »
That looks about right.

Yeah, you should be able to; as I recall, it's a web-based interface.  All other things failing, you can set up vncserver on the linux box, and then use one of the fortyhundred VNC clients for windows that are out there.
Seek out wisdom in books, rare manuscripts, and cryptic poems if you will, but seek it also in simple stones and fragile herbs and in the cries of wild birds. Listen to the song of the wind and the roar of water if you would discover magic, for it is here that the old secrets are still preserved.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 08:58:22 AM »
That looks about right.

BP is right re VNC.   

But, generally speaking, one usually doesn't want to do so on their outside server.  Uses up a lot of resources for not a lot of return.   Any particular reason you want a GUI?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 09:07:24 AM »
But, generally speaking, one usually doesn't want to do so on their outside server.  Uses up a lot of resources for not a lot of return.   Any particular reason you want a GUI?

Because my console skilz have declined drastically?  :(

'lot of resources' isn't that big of a concern, it's not something that I plan on doing all the time, of course. 

It's not like I'm planning on setting up a website that will be visited by more than a dozen people a month, on average.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
Because my console skilz have declined drastically?

Okay, but having a GUI is not going to make up for that.  What is it you expect to be able to do with a colocated server via a GUI?  There is no GUI configuration for most things you'd want to set up on a server, so you'd be using a (laggy) GUI to run a terminal emulator to interact with a shell... not very fun.  If there were any GUI apps I wanted to run on a remote server, I'd export the display to my local machine over ssh.  I think you could do the same with windows using Xming and putty.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 08:59:02 PM »
Because my console skilz have declined drastically?  :(

'lot of resources' isn't that big of a concern, it's not something that I plan on doing all the time, of course.  

It's not like I'm planning on setting up a website that will be visited by more than a dozen people a month, on average.

Dude, forcing yourself to use ssh will make you LEARN the console skillz.  Necessity is the mother of all invention.

yum install httpd php php-gd php-mysql mysql mysql-dev bzip2 gzip unzip curl gcc gcc-c++ make perl perl-DBD-MySql wget groff ncurses python python-devel

Done.  Just hunt up some guides for configuring Apache and MySQL.  Technically PHP too, but it's relatively fine out of the box.  MySQL comes with a very handy config script you should definitely run.  A quick google search should give you the location.  You now have a LAMP server, toss on an email deamon and you can handle 90% of anything you're likely to do.

(change to apt-get for ubuntu)

Personally, I like CentOS for my servers.  Run whatever you're comfy with.   But ubuntu is mostly geared towards desktops (think they have a specific server distro or install?).  CentOS is more geared towards servers.  I mean, mofo hardcore enterprise servers.  Stability ueber alles.  

I recommend QMail Toaster for your email app, some very nice install scripts and it's a lot more secure out of the box than sendmail.

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 11:38:24 PM »
Okay, but having a GUI is not going to make up for that.  What is it you expect to be able to do with a colocated server via a GUI?  There is no GUI configuration for most things you'd want to set up on a server, so you'd be using a (laggy) GUI to run a terminal emulator to interact with a shell... not very fun.  If there were any GUI apps I wanted to run on a remote server, I'd export the display to my local machine over ssh.  I think you could do the same with windows using Xming and putty.

That's the sort of response I'm looking for.  I've never been heavily into Linux, and while I've run servers it hasn't been for years.

At work we're forced to be pure microsoft.   =(

Basically, I'm looking for an easier way to see the status of my stuff than pure command line.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 10:20:58 AM »
Basically, I'm looking for an easier way to see the status of my stuff than pure command line.

I don't know what you mean.  What status?  If you want to know whether your webserver is up, you point your web browser at it.  If you want to know whether your email server is working, you run your email app.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Firethorn

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 01:20:28 PM »
I don't know what you mean.  What status?  If you want to know whether your webserver is up, you point your web browser at it.  If you want to know whether your email server is working, you run your email app.

What about statistics, more than up/down?  Besides, I'm planning on running more than web/email, remember?

Was thinking about using it on torrents too since my upload is so low...

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 01:36:32 PM »
What about statistics, more than up/down?  Besides, I'm planning on running more than web/email, remember?

Was thinking about using it on torrents too since my upload is so low...

Just about any large utility (mysql, apache, email apps) has some kind of statistics app or module.  You can often have it either emailed to you, displayed on a web site, viewed at the command line, or exported to file.

I'm gathering you don't want a server.  You want a desktop out in the cloud, yes?