Author Topic: Active shooter at Santa Fe high school in Texas  (Read 6078 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Re: Active shooter at Santa Fe high school in Texas
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2018, 05:23:11 PM »
"Pull all children out of school until new gun laws are passed"

For some reason, this makes me giddy in a Ron Swanson kind of way.  =D

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/05/19/arne-duncan-loves-brilliant-idea-taking-children-school-better-gun-laws/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2018, 05:29:06 PM »
"Pull all children out of school until new gun laws are passed"

For some reason, this makes me giddy in a Ron Swanson kind of way.  =D

https://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2018/05/19/arne-duncan-loves-brilliant-idea-taking-children-school-better-gun-laws/

Sounds like a perfect opportunity for that idea where they repackage a bunch of existing laws into a Sweeping Gun Safety Reform law, and then let the Left believe they won something.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2018, 05:31:45 PM »
But they had a retired Houston cop (was it "detective"?) as a school resource officer.

One guy, easily identifiable, and known to be the only threat until the cavalry shows up.

I'm just marginally surprised the first shot wasn't into the back of his head.  If we ever have a school shooter who really plans out the attack, that will be how it goes down.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2018, 08:07:32 PM »
One guy, easily identifiable, and known to be the only threat until the cavalry shows up.

I'm just marginally surprised the first shot wasn't into the back of his head.  If we ever have a school shooter who really plans out the attack, that will be how it goes down.

All the more reason to arm teachers -- and not let the students know which teachers are armed.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2018, 09:42:04 PM »
All the more reason to arm teachers -- and not let the students know which teachers are armed.

Exactly.  And it pretty much guarantees that armed people will be more or less evenly distributed around the school throughout the day, instead of hanging out in the office or the break room.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2018, 09:48:58 PM »
Exactly.  And it pretty much guarantees that armed people will be more or less evenly distributed around the school throughout the day, instead of hanging out in the office or the break room.

Or the parking lot ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2018, 09:15:10 AM »
No longer the leading story on Yahoo.  Not even part of of the top 10 stories.  No AR15 used, so narrative doesn't fit anymore?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2018, 09:27:59 AM »
Ugh. I think this article has already been criticized here for its gun misinformation, but it also refers to the shotgun and pistol used "less lethal." There is just so much wrong with that.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/05/18/gun-used-texas-shooting-explosives/623202002/

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
No longer the leading story on Yahoo.  Not even part of of the top 10 stories.  No AR15 used, so narrative doesn't fit anymore?

According to police, he didn't even use a semi-automatic.

https://twitter.com/CorySmithNBC5/status/997632899716435968

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2018, 09:32:46 AM »
Ugh. I think this article has already been criticized here for its gun misinformation, but it also refers to the shotgun and pistol used "less lethal." There is just so much wrong with that.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2018/05/18/gun-used-texas-shooting-explosives/623202002/

They sure made a lot of references to weapons used in other incidents.  Can't let this little incident distract from the greater gun control push.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2018, 09:34:48 AM »

Well the bullets are just so much slower!
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2018, 04:18:20 PM »
https://www.backwoodshome.com/blogs/MassadAyoob/comparing-two-shootings-at-two-schools/

I saw this Massad Ayoob piece from the other day.  Compared the shootings in Texas and Illinois.  In both cases, the bad guy with the gun was stopped when faced with a good guy with a gun.  However, in one case, the good guy was close by.  In the Texas case, the good guy was not real close.  Pretty much makes the case for arming teachers who wish to be armed.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge