Author Topic: New Math - Grades Edition  (Read 403 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
New Math - Grades Edition
« on: August 05, 2021, 10:49:02 AM »
So if you get everything wrong on a test, you still get 50%. Not to mention all the other stuff they're doing to turn US students into the least educated in the world.

Also, "emergent" ???

https://twitchy.com/gregp-3534/2021/08/05/what-could-go-wrong-clark-county-school-district-implements-new-grading-policy-to-create-equity/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Re: New Math - Grades Edition
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2021, 10:50:12 AM »
More and more a diploma is becoming nothing more than a participation trophy, equally void of all meaning.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

WLJ

• friends
  • On Patrol In The Epsilon Eridani System
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2021, 11:24:14 AM »
    BACK TO SCHOOL: @ClarkCountySch is introducing a new district-wide grading policy.

The lowest grade is 50%. Grades wont be influenced by attendance, participation, & late assignments.

CCSD says this creates equity, some teachers say it lowers standards. Full report on @8NewsNow pic.twitter.com/EGKpixVIU7

— Kate Houston (@katehouston_tv) August 4, 2021

You don't have to do anything to get 50%, you don't even have to show up. Equity = Equally stupid.

"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us".
- Calvin and Hobbes

cordex

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2021, 11:29:11 AM »
Wouldn't "creating equity" be just giving everyone the same grade?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2021, 11:39:29 AM »
When I was in school, 50% was still a failing grade.

Funny story about grading - when I was in college as an undergrad Physics major, I signed up for the required course in Thermodynamics. This was considered to be a make or break class for Physics undergrads, much like PCHEM was for chemistry majors.

I guess I lucked out - a very senior professor was assigned to teach this course - and he didn't like it. So on the 1st day of class, he announced everyone had a "C" grade - even if they did no work and never showed. If you handed in the midterm take-home exam (which would NOT be graded!) you got a B. If you also handed in the take-home final, you got an A. And all the problems were from the student supplementary guide - which also included solutions.

I got an "A" of course, with almost everyone else in the class. One lone dummy settled for a C.  :facepalm:

Funny thing is - luckily, I never needed what was supposed to be taught in that class. (The next year's class wasn't so lucky.)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2021, 04:01:53 PM »
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2021, 04:13:24 PM »
When I was in school, 50% was still a failing grade.

Yep. 59 was still an F. 60 - 69 was a D.

The "equity" team would have had a hemorrhage at my high school. The senior math teach put an extra credit question on every exam. There were probably a dozen (maybe more) students in the honors track whose average for the year was between 105 and 110 in Math.

Setting a minimum of 50 won't solve anything, so the next step will have to be decreeing that 75 is the maximum score.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design