Author Topic: US students, hiking, captured in... Iran?  (Read 3894 times)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
US students, hiking, captured in... Iran?
« on: October 27, 2009, 06:34:33 PM »
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_IRAN_US_HIKERS?SITE=FLTAM&SECTION=US

???

Families of US hikers held in Iran release video

BERKELEY, Calif. (AP) -- The families of three Americans being held in Iran plan to release video footage that they say proves the three were simply on vacation and had no underhand intentions when they strayed across the border.

Shane Bauer, 27, Sarah Shourd, 31, and Josh Fattal, 27, have been detained since July 31. They apparently crossed into Iran by accident while hiking in a scenic area in northern Iraq. They have been visited by Swiss diplomats, who oversee U.S. interests in Iran, but have had no contact with their families.

Iranian Foreign Minister Manouchehr Mottaki said last week that investigators are still questioning the three and that their fate rests with judicial authorities.

Mottaki gave no other details on the case. But his comments suggested that formal charges could still be possible against the Americans, although Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said in an interview with The Associated Press last month that he could ask the judiciary to "take a look at the case with maximum leniency."

One of the videos, set for release on YouTube Tuesday, shows Fattal performing an impromptu rap song - "Yo, it's hot/It's 'cos I'm in Iraq." - against a backdrop of the city of Irbil in Iraq. A second video shows Fattal, Bauer and Shourd dancing in an unfinished cinder block building.

"These kids were on vacation. They were just traveling; they were having a good time," Nora Shourd, Shourd's mother, said in a phone interview Monday.

"It's obvious they're on vacation. This makes it real clear that they were there having fun," said Bauer's mother, Cindy Hickey, who lives in eastern Minnesota. "This is a carefree attitude and not an attitude of someone that was meaning to do harm."

Laura Fattal said the videos showed her son looking well and fit - "on top of his game."

But it was hearing his voice that really affected her.

"It took me aback," Fattal said. "I said, 'That's really Josh. And I really haven't heard from him.' When you hear a voice, that pulls at your heart strings."

As for his rapping ability, Fattal said, "Of course I think he's adorable."

More importantly, she said, the two videos show "the harmless nature of all three of them."

Fattal, who lives in the Philadelphia suburb of Elkins Park, said she and the other two mothers traveled to the United Nations Iranian mission in New York on Oct. 15 to deliver a petition signed by more than 2,500 people asking that the hikers be released.

Iranian authorities have had nearly three months to question the hikers, Fattal said, and "I can't imagine what else they're expecting to hear."

The videos were made two days before the hikers were detained. They were shot by Shon Meckfessel, a fourth American on the trip who did not go hiking with the others because he was feeling ill.

Shourd, Bauer and Fattal are friends who all graduated from the University of California, Berkeley. Bauer had been living in Damascus, Syria, with Shourd, his girlfriend. Fattal went to visit them after traveling overseas on a teaching fellowship with the International Honors Program.

Watching the videos has been bittersweet, Hickey said. "It was kind of fun to see that they were having fun and they were being kids. "But it also made me really wonder why they're still being held. It made me miss Shane even more."

Nora Shourd, who lives in Oakland, said she's watched the videos "50 times already."

"It's wonderful to see them. It's wonderful to see Sarah dancing and they're really having a good time," she said. "But then I feel the opposite, which is - Why in the world are they sitting in a jail in Iran?"

Mike: I've got a great idea!  A great one, I say!  Let's go backpacking!
Jill:  OK, but it's kinda cold here in Minnesota.
Sam:  Yeah, it is kinda cold.  And backpacking isn't all that great around here anyways.
Mike:  No, not here.  Let's go backpacking, in, perhaps, Iraq!
Jill:  Yeah, what a great idea!
Sam:  Totally!
Jill:  I'll take pictures of myself in western skimpy outdoors clothing amongst the indigenous people!  We'll make lots of friends and have worldly experiences!
Sam:  Totally!
Mike:  And I've never been there, but I'm sure we won't get lost or anything or stray into a potential war zone or tribal conflict area.
Chorus:  Iraq, Iraq, it's perfect to backpack!

;/

So:  young, stupid "state department" volunteers perhaps?  Or the video was recorded as deliberate cover in case they got caught while messing around in Iran?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: US students, hiking, captured in... Iran?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 06:40:14 PM »
Shourd, Bauer and Fattal are friends who all graduated from the University of California, Berkeley.

I kept asking myself, "What the...?" Then I read that sentence and it all made sense.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 06:42:06 PM »
graduated from berkley  what a shock
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 06:44:22 PM »
They were just going to "smell the air," like Sean Penn.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 07:10:51 PM »
Shane Bauer, 27, Sarah Shourd, 31, and Josh Fattal, 27
These kids were on vacation.

Kids?

(By the time we were Sarah's age, we had 3 kids.)
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 07:37:06 PM »
Kids?

Yeah, these "students" are my and (almost) my wife's age.

I wish I could say that I can't believe anyone could be this stupid and it must be a cover story as suggested...

Except I know how stupid people (ESPECIALLY American liberals) can be.

I'm reminded of the Russian negotiator who said his hardest job was convincing his Soviet superiors it wasn't a trick when the US did something against its best interest...
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 08:05:59 PM »
I guessing its a cover story. I bet the whole Berkley angle is faked too.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2009, 11:24:13 PM »
Kids?

The kids quote was from the mom.  I think a mom calls her kids kids until at least forty or so.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2009, 11:39:42 PM »
I think a mom calls her kids kids until at least forty or so.

My mother is 91 and still calls her sons "kids."

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2009, 02:00:45 AM »
 =|
Of all the mountains in all the countries in all the world, you had to walk into Iran's?
Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got to pack. I'm headed to Somalia for a week on the beach.

I guessing its a cover story. I bet the whole Berkley angle is faked too.
I would hope so - but some people are just that stupid.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2009, 09:05:55 AM »
I never have bought this story. It would not surprise me in the least to find out one or more of them was on CIA or State Dept payroll.

Then again, the whole thing is so monstrously stupid...a true puzzle is when you can't figure whether to attribute something to gov't or liberal stupidity.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2009, 09:08:17 AM »
I'm leaning towards liberal stupidity. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2009, 09:45:08 AM »
When reading about these "kids" who decide to go hiking in Iraq (!) right next to Iran (!) . . . why am I reminded of Timothy Treadwell?

From Wikipedia:
Timothy Treadwell spent 13 summers in Katmai National Park and Preserve, Alaska. Over time, he believed he was trusted by the bears, who would allow him to approach them, and sometimes even touch them . . . .  In 2003, at the end of his 13th visit, he and his girlfriend Amie Huguenard were attacked, killed, and partially eaten by a bear.

I guess stupid is as stupid does . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2009, 10:28:48 AM »
when given the option it is usually correct to attribute something to stupidity rather than malice.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2009, 10:32:53 AM »
I'd put my money on it being a cover story.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2009, 10:35:56 AM »
I notice that the story has NO mention of employers or co-workers missing them.

One of them supposedly won some sort of travel-study program with the International Honors Program... no school somewhere waiting breathlessly to hear from that particular person, itching to comment in the nooz? 
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 10:41:44 AM »
Damn some people are stupid, who chooses a war zone to go backpacking???  WTF?! If their CIA, State Dept. agents, (which I highly doubt) well they must be the absolute worst three in the agency, and they failed their mission stupendously.

Do these idiots not read the news? North Korea capturing journalists ringing any bells? Great now Iran has some bargaining chips it can bring to the nuclear power table.  Can we just leave em there? How else are you going to learn not to travel to war zones and play on the borders of counties that hate us.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 11:07:20 AM »
Damn some people are stupid, who chooses a war zone to go backpacking???  WTF?! If their CIA, State Dept. agents, (which I highly doubt) well they must be the absolute worst three in the agency, and they failed their mission stupendously.

Do these idiots not read the news? North Korea capturing journalists ringing any bells? Great now Iran has some bargaining chips it can bring to the nuclear power table.  Can we just leave em there? How else are you going to learn not to travel to war zones and play on the borders of counties that hate us.

If the Administration had any balls, or the CIA, they'd concoct a story that they've been executed in Iran. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »
a true puzzle is when you can't figure whether to attribute something to gov't or liberal stupidity

There's a difference ???

Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »
I notice that the story has NO mention of employers or co-workers missing them.

Do you think my clients would miss me if I went away? I doubt it. Few of them had ever met me.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 11:46:52 AM »
under cover operatives for the church of xenu
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2009, 02:06:17 PM »
I have a sudden urge to watch the movie Spies Like US. :lol:

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2009, 03:14:59 PM »
How would civilians even get into Iraq? Are commercial flights going into there with anyone able to mosey out into the streets? ???
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
When we had to get photographers and writers in there they drove across from Syria
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2009, 03:35:30 PM »
How would civilians even get into Iraq? Are commercial flights going into there with anyone able to mosey out into the streets? ???
Getting into Iraq? Seems simple enough. IIRC, they fly regular flights from Stockholm to the Kurdish areas of the country...
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila