Author Topic: US youngsters are too fat to fight, warn generals  (Read 4130 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
US youngsters are too fat to fight, warn generals
« on: April 30, 2010, 11:03:46 PM »
I don't think the 25% who are too fat are interested in the military anyway.  Those motivated to serve will meet the standards anyway.  I do agree that obesity seems to be at epidemic proportions.

Rising rates of obesity among young Americans could undermine the future of the US military, two retired generals have warned.

More than a quarter of young Americans are now too fat to fight, they said.

Writing in the Washington Post, the ex-commanders said the fat crisis ruled out more potential military service recruits than any other medical factor.

They want Congress to introduce laws to give US children better nutrition in schools, with less sugar, salt and fat.

John Shalikashvili and Hugh Shelton, both former chairmen of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, wrote: "Obesity rates threaten the overall health of America and the future strength of our military."

"We consider this problem so serious from a national security perspective that we have joined more than 130 other retired generals, admirals and senior military leaders in calling on Congress to pass new child nutrition legislation," the commanders added.

The warning comes amid mounting fears that childhood obesity has turned into an "epidemic" affecting an astonishing one in three young American people.

Mr Shalikashvili and Mr Shelton pointed to post-school lunch laws from 1946, which recognised that poor nutrition reduced the pool of military recruits.

"We must act, as we did after World War II, to ensure that our children can one day defend our country, if need be."

Obesity rates in the US have surged over the last year, according to one report .

The Trust for America's Health and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation found adult obesity rates rose in 23 of the 50 states, but fell in none.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: US youngsters are too fat to fight, warn generals
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 11:05:13 PM »
too soft and entitled too
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 02:57:18 AM »
Funny, I was reading the other day that schools are cutting out Phys Ed because of budget shortfalls. Hmm, Johnny can't read, can't do math, and is too fat to join the army. Sucks to be Johnny.
Hi.

taurusowner

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 03:09:05 AM »
Well when you put government in charge of raising kids, and governments tend not to be able to do anything right, this is what happens.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 03:20:49 AM »
And yet enrollment quotas are consistently met, and the butt of various Jihadis is consistently kicked.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 03:32:51 AM »
Well when you put government in charge of raising kids, and governments tend not to be able to do anything right, this is what happens.

Exactly.
Hi.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 03:57:07 AM »
I'm wondering if this perceived threat is against the standpoint of a volunteer military or from the standpoint of a conscription (read draft) military.

As it stands with a volunteer military only about 1 out of every 300 citizens elects to join the military, and they are stating that 75 of out that 300 is too fat to fight. Still leaves 225 of that 300.

Mind you as of 2008 we still had an estimated 118 million fit for service citizens (combined male and female), half of which could be drafted (selective service still only applies to males) in the event of WW3.

For the record I had to lose 15 pounds to join the Navy. In bootcamp I lost another 30 pounds in the course of 2 months due to training and restricted diet. The tubby-tubby's of our nation may not be fit to fight right now, but with the appropriate workup I'm sure a great many of them could become so relatively quickly (4-6 months forced PT and dietary controls).

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 11:37:17 AM »
Heck, they could just sit on the enemy  =D

Works for cops, doesn't it ?  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 11:44:27 AM »
4-6 months is quite a long time if WW3 breaks out, the war could be lost before the fat kids make it out of training.

I don't support the "let's regulate children's diets incase we need them as cannon fodder some day" idea at all.
I realize many prgrams already dictate what children can or cannot eat depending on the circumstances (ie day care). Any new program would pretend that most of a childs daily food consumption is at school, ignore parents feeding their snowflakes KFC 3 times a day, cost more money, and have no effect.

How about we make them pay for the healthcare costs associated with.... oh. Nevermind.  =D

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:48:08 AM »
how about we arm the kids so they can play outside? [popcorn]

edit are for arm, wth? =|
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:07:32 PM by sanglant »

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
4-6 months is quite a long time if WW3 breaks out, the war could be lost before the fat kids make it out of training.

If WW3 breaks out, I don't think you're going to need that many people to fight it. Unless you mean for after the nukes drop.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 12:08:37 PM »

I also did mention that approximately 120 million of our population were adequately fit for service now. More if you raise the age constriction from it's current standing of 45.

If we did enter WW3, I would draft those 120 million, and direct the rest of the fat bodies to work support roles, much like women did in factories during WW2 when all the able bodied men were pulled from their jobs. Just cause little Timmy is too tubby-tubby to low-crawl under that razor wire doesn't mean he can't stamp sheet metal to build HMMWV's.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
120 million of our population were adequately fit for service now

interesting number i'm doubtful  though it makes a nice soundbite
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 12:41:45 PM »

I also did mention that approximately 120 million of our population were adequately fit for service now. More if you raise the age constriction from it's current standing of 45.

If we did enter WW3, I would draft those 120 million, and direct the rest of the fat bodies to work support roles, much like women did in factories during WW2 when all the able bodied men were pulled from their jobs. Just cause little Timmy is too tubby-tubby to low-crawl under that razor wire doesn't mean he can't stamp sheet metal to build HMMWV's.

:O

Didn't realize you were for a draft, dude.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 01:02:29 PM »

:O

Didn't realize you were for a draft, dude.

If it's a choice between draft or get overrun by the next would be Hitler/Tojo/Mussolini, which would you choose? We're talking the next WW3 here, not the next Kosovo.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2010, 01:32:00 PM »

That doesn't have much to do with it.  20-30 minutes of gym class a few days a week aren't making the difference, nor is what schools serve for lunch.  The obese kids are obese because their parents give them fast food and pop for every meal at home .  Then they let them sit in front of the TV instead of sending them outside. 
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2010, 02:53:42 PM »
Im in the fat is parents issue camp. One decent meal a day helps the kids that dont get enough food. Its just some more calories for little johnny pudge-pot, no matter how healthy it is.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2010, 03:49:39 PM »
Im in the fat is parents issue camp. One decent meal a day helps the kids that dont get enough food. Its just some more calories for little johnny pudge-pot, no matter how healthy it is.

All snark aside, I'm of the opinion that it's a combination of both. Parents who either aren't home or can't be bothered to cook proper meals, and schools who cut Phys Ed at every opportunity. That 20-30 minutes of exercise 5 times a week isn't a cure all, but it does serve to ramp up metabolism a bit, which at least helps to slow the weight gain and save some muscle tone.
Hi.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2010, 04:33:52 PM »
Parents feeding their kids fast food all the time, and not encouraging exercise, is undoubtedly the primary cause, but poor nutrition in school lunches almost certainly has some additional effect.

I ate so much sugar and fat back when I was in school, in retrospect I'm disgusted.  It probably wasn't as much as kids today eat, but still way too much.  I did exercise a lot though, and I've always been fairly thin.  Still, I'm sure I was not very healthy back then if I'd had detailed tests done.  I was probably pushing my luck with my glucose levels.  Exercise can only do so much to negate the effects of bad diet.

Is there any compelling reason to compromise adult "health food" standards when constructing food plans for kids?  No cholesterol, very little saturated/trans fat, and if they want sweet stuff, there's this stuff people used to eat called fruit!  And there's yogurt!  It's not the end of the world to eat doughnuts or a greaseburger once in a while, but if you get into a habit of eating healthy food, why would you want a burger or a doughnut... ever?

Maybe if the government wasn't subsidizing corn and soy feed for animals so that cheap low-quality meat was readily available for fast food, school meals, and microwave dinners, we would all be healthier.  If the government wants to subsidize something, it should subsidize fresh produce.  The status quo is nothing more than corporate welfare for the meat farming industry (and the corn industry which produces insane amounts of corn-derived sugar additives and corn-derived, hydrogenated oils).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 04:44:09 PM by tyme »
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

Racehorse

• friend
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »

So all I have to do to avoid the draft is eat a lot of pizza and twinkies and play a lot of video games?

Awesome.

taurusowner

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2010, 04:50:25 PM »
That doesn't have much to do with it.  20-30 minutes of gym class a few days a week aren't making the difference, nor is what schools serve for lunch.  The obese kids are obese because their parents give them fast food and pop for every meal at home .  Then they let them sit in front of the TV instead of sending them outside. 

Which is precisely what I meant by putting government in charge of raising kids.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2010, 04:57:16 PM »
I was the exact opposite, I could max out sittups and the run when I joined the Marines.  Before bootcamp, the recruiter asked me to help him train the others that were in the Delayed Entry program. My weak point was my measly 14 or 15 pullups.  300 PFT when I graduated bootcamp, gained 20 pounds of raw muscle. 
I was secksy!

For the record I had to lose 15 pounds to join the Navy. In bootcamp I lost another 30 pounds in the course of 2 months due to training and restricted diet. The tubby-tubby's of our nation may not be fit to fight right now, but with the appropriate workup I'm sure a great many of them could become so relatively quickly (4-6 months forced PT and dietary controls).
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2010, 05:27:03 PM »
Wait!  You mean pwning at Halo doesn't make me ready?
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2010, 06:00:57 PM »
So all I have to do to avoid the draft is eat a lot of pizza and twinkies and play a lot of video games?

Just make sure you don't play Wii Fit. :)
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

taurusowner

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2010, 06:29:56 PM »
Wait!  You mean pwning at Halo doesn't make me ready?

It does if you sign up for a Fobbit MOS  :laugh: