Author Topic: US service member detained for allegedly shooting Afghan civilians  (Read 18529 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: US service member detained for allegedly shooting Afghan civilians
« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2012, 10:06:29 PM »
so you need to buy off the head of the clan?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2012, 05:48:03 AM »
Here is the latest info:

http://news.yahoo.com/lawyer-afghan-suspects-friend-had-leg-blown-off-033637373.html

The suspect had been injured twice during his three previous deployments to Iraq, and didn't want to go to Afghanistan to begin with, Browne said.
The soldier asked to be represented by Browne, a well-known Seattle defense attorney, when he was taken into custody, the lawyer said.

Surely the accused will engage an insanity plea....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2012, 08:29:33 AM »
John Henry Browne would surely be on any list of the top five Seattle criminal defense counsel.  A very skilled lawyer in his field.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, 1st platoon sergeant, Blackhorse Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, meets with local Afghan civilians during a patrol in the village of Jahel Dar Lab-e at the National Training Center Aug. 23. Blackhorse Company patrolled the village of Jahel Dar Lab-e to establish a relationship with the Afghan people and secure the village.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2012, 10:29:36 PM »

Staff Sgt. Robert Bales, 1st platoon sergeant, Blackhorse Company, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, checks over an Afghan civilian’s identification papers at the National Training Center Aug. 23. Blackhorse Company patrolled the village of Jahel Dar Lab-e to establish a relationship with the Afghan people and secure the village.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2012, 08:27:03 AM »

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/321262

More news. I wouldn't be surprised if in the end reality doesn't coincide with the US "Official Statement". There was a lot of killing in different houses in apparently two villages now(??) and the subsequent heavy lifting to pile up the bodies for burning. Blaming everything on a lone, deranged individual is just too stretchy. Looking to the past, village massacres have never been carried out by lone rogue soldiers.
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »
If any of these idiots from NATO or the US has lied about this, we are completely *expletive deleted*ed, deserve total disdain from others, and will never be trusted again.

At least they could have had enough common sense to cover their tracks better than this.....
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2012, 03:36:16 PM »

As per an earlier Digital Journal report, according to an Afghan official who viewed the footage, a US surveillance video caught the solder walking up to his base, laying down his weapon and raising his arms in surrender. US authorities showed this footage to the Afghans to prove that only 1 soldier was involved in the shootings.
However, there are apparently a further 2 or 3 hours of video footage covering the time of the attack and Afghan investigators are still trying to get this footage from the US military.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/321262#ixzz1pP7SkMoR

Lee Harvey Oswald nailed John Connely and blew Jack Kennedy's head off all by himself, and Vince Foster committed suicide just as the official report says he did.

The problem with conspiracy theories is that they depend on significant (any number > 1 = significant) numbers of folks to keep their mouths shut in defiance of human nature's [almost] imperative to talk.

IF the alleged video shows that there were allegedly other folks allegedly involved, keeping a lid on things is going to be a bit more than "difficult".  I'm going to  [popcorn].

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2012, 11:14:59 PM »
Lee Harvey Oswald nailed John Connely and blew Jack Kennedy's head off all by himself, and Vince Foster committed suicide just as the official report says he did.

The problem with conspiracy theories is that they depend on significant (any number > 1 = significant) numbers of folks to keep their mouths shut in defiance of human nature's [almost] imperative to talk.

IF the alleged video shows that there were allegedly other folks allegedly involved, keeping a lid on things is going to be a bit more than "difficult".  I'm going to  [popcorn].

stay safe.

Three can keep a secret.

If two are dead.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2012, 08:42:34 AM »
Three can keep a secret.

If two are dead.

Oooo, I like this!!!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2012, 09:03:54 AM »
I will bet there will be a movie about this event. I expect the Russians had similar soldier justice retributions.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2012, 12:04:14 PM »
Oooo, I like this!!!

So did Ben Franklin IFAIK.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2012, 06:54:14 PM »
Oops!  Someone committed Thinking

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/fisk/robert-fisk-madness-is-not-the-reason-for-this-massacre-7575737.html

The Afghan narrative has been curiously lobotomised – censored, even – by those who have been trying to explain this appalling massacre in Kandahar. They remembered the Koran burnings – when American troops in Bagram chucked Korans on a bonfire – and the deaths of six Nato soldiers, two of them Americans, which followed. But blow me down if they didn't forget – and this applies to every single report on the latest killings – a remarkable and highly significant statement from the US army's top commander in Afghanistan, General John Allen, exactly 22 days ago. Indeed, it was so unusual a statement that I clipped the report of Allen's words from my morning paper and placed it inside my briefcase for future reference.

Allen told his men that "now is not the time for revenge for the deaths of two US soldiers killed in Thursday's riots". They should, he said, "resist whatever urge they might have to strike back" after an Afghan soldier killed the two Americans. "There will be moments like this when you're searching for the meaning of this loss," Allen continued. "There will be moments like this, when your emotions are governed by anger and a desire to strike back. Now is not the time for revenge, now is the time to look deep inside your souls, remember your mission, remember your discipline, remember who you are."

Now this was an extraordinary plea to come from the US commander in Afghanistan. The top general had to tell his supposedly well-disciplined, elite, professional army not to "take vengeance" on the Afghans they are supposed to be helping/protecting/nurturing/training, etc. He had to tell his soldiers not to commit murder.

This is just a snippet from the middle of the think-piece.  Do go read the whole thing.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2012, 02:27:07 AM »
So did Ben Franklin IFAIK.

according to my research, yes, it was Ben Franklyn who originally coined the quote, I first saw it at the NYC Hell's Angels clubhouse circa 1981.

As far as the shooting being a conspiracy? I'm sure all the Taliban think so.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2012, 02:45:05 AM »
according to my research, yes, it was Ben Franklyn who originally coined the quote, I first saw it at the NYC Hell's Angels clubhouse circa 1981.

As far as the shooting being a conspiracy? I'm sure all the Taliban think so.

My first encounter with the phrase was also by way of the HAMC.
I didn't learn about Franklin's connection till much later.

Either way it is something of a truism. The bigger the conspiracy needs to be the more chances for someone to spill the beans. Get enough people involved and someone WILL run their mouth.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2012, 10:14:54 AM »
http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2012/03/more-on-afghanistan-massacre.html

I thought some of the comments here were interesting.
http://www.businessinsider.com/this-whole-line-of-infidel-gear-cant-be-helping-international-relations-in-afghanistan-2012-3
This link was given.  Kind of makes me think the troops are a bit cynical about being there.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »
About 200 coalition members have been killed or wounded from insider attacks. Afghan President Hamid Karzai is tantamount to being Taliban and has not bothered to apologize. Instead, Karzai whips up anti-U.S. fervor at every opportunity. Twice, Karzai has threatened to leave politics and join the Taliban.

Even our most disciplined troops — not the few problem troops — have lost all idealism. They have not lost heart for the fight. Mostly, they just don’t care. They fight because they are ordered to fight, but they have eyes wide open. The halfhearted surge and sudden drawdown leave little room for success.

These two paragraphs says a lot.  The bolded part is very true.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
  • Floyd Rose is my homeboy
    • My Book
« Reply #67 on: March 20, 2012, 11:43:42 AM »
http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2012/03/more-on-afghanistan-massacre.html

I thought some of the comments here were interesting.
http://www.businessinsider.com/this-whole-line-of-infidel-gear-cant-be-helping-international-relations-in-afghanistan-2012-3
This link was given.  Kind of makes me think the troops are a bit cynical about being there.

I don't make any claims about the decisions other NCOs make... but.

I would not allow my soldiers to wear such stuff. for me, it's not about being PC, or "offending" anyone, it's about professionalism
Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #68 on: March 20, 2012, 12:00:05 PM »

I would not allow my soldiers to wear such stuff. for me, it's not about being PC, or "offending" anyone, it's about professionalism

I agree 100%.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #69 on: March 20, 2012, 12:36:38 PM »

I don't disagree, which is why this says a lot to me about the general attitude of the troops. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
In my view, it's indicative of the continued erosion of what it means to be an NCO.

I might have thought it was "cool" to wear such things when I was a dumb private. It would have been my team leader's and squad leader's jobs to ensure that I didn't do that crap.

the NCO corps is being eroded. I see it all the time. I am not sure of the causes, but the effect is clear: good order and discipline, along with judgement, are suffering.
Fitz

---------------
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:

-MicroBalrog

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2012, 12:58:21 PM »
In my view, it's indicative of the continued erosion of what it means to be an NCO.

I might have thought it was "cool" to wear such things when I was a dumb private. It would have been my team leader's and squad leader's jobs to ensure that I didn't do that crap.

the NCO corps is being eroded. I see it all the time. I am not sure of the causes, but the effect is clear: good order and discipline, along with judgement, are suffering.

Fitz not to make excuses but the biggest factor has been the constant state of war we have been in.  Not enough time to properly train Soldiers and get them the schools they need to move up the ranks.  Before you had to have PLDC/WLC to make E5 and now that isn't needed until time to make E6 and so forth.  Also too many good NCO's get slapped down when doing their job.  And it can all be traced back to the lowering of standards to boost troop strength.  Too many bad apples got into the Service and now some of them are becoming NCO's.

Fitz

• Face-melter
  • friend
    • My Book
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2012, 01:01:52 PM »
Fitz not to make excuses but the biggest factor has been the constant state of war we have been in.  Not enough time to properly train Soldiers and get them the schools they need to move up the ranks.  Before you had to have PLDC/WLC to make E5 and now that isn't needed until time to make E6 and so forth.  Also too many good NCO's get slapped down when doing their job.  And it can all be traced back to the lowering of standards to boost troop strength.  Too many bad apples got into the Service and now some of them are becoming NCO's.

Yeah like i said.. the causes are many, and I haven't thought about them... but the end result is the same: erosion of what it means to be an NCO.

I went to the "new" WLC, I turned out ok. But I also had many shining examples of good leadership when I was a younger soldier. Not everyone has that benefit.

I see *expletive deleted*it soldiers promoted to E5 and it churns my stomach. Leadership in combat is a sacred responsibility, and it is taken entirely too lightly.

Got a great PT score? PROMOTE!

It's sickening
Fitz

---------------

-MicroBalrog

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2012, 01:35:30 PM »
http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/03/20/lancaster-soldier-accused-afghan-slaying-allegedly-swindled-couple.html

Looks like Bales' previous occupation was a failure.

WCPO reported that Bales was ordered to pay Gary and Janet Liebschner more than $1.5 million after an arbitrator found that he engaged in fraud, breach of fiduciary duty and unauthorized trading a year before he joined the military.

Janet Liebschner told the Cincinnati television station that her husband decided to sell some stocks to help pay for medical bills and that Bales pocketed their money.

The judgement against Bales was never paid, but it was a civil judgement. For some atrange reason, there were no criminal charges filed.
This situation seems quite odd to me..... ???

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »
http://www.military.com/news/article/gi-did-not-reveal-women-children-killed.html?col=1186032310810

A U.S. soldier held in the slaying of 16 Afghan civilians did not initially say women and children were among the dead, officials said.

Army Staff Sgt. Robert Bales allegedly told officials he killed several older Afghan men outside a U.S. combat outpost in southern Afghanistan on March 11, the Los Angeles times reported Tuesday.

Interesting twist.