Author Topic: US Woman Held in Mexico Set Free  (Read 804 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
US Woman Held in Mexico Set Free
« on: May 31, 2013, 09:30:45 AM »
We all know about Mexico's corrupt legal system, but what got me about this story was the "matter of fact" quotes on some of it, like it's totally no big deal man. "Guilty until proven innocent", "$5000 bribe fell through", arresting the wife instead of the husband because apparently she could speak Spanish and he couldn't. And of course taking as long as they apparently did to review security camera footage, which I was very surprised that they even had.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/31/arizona-woman-held-in-mexico-freed-from-prison-family-spokesperson-says/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: US Woman Held in Mexico Set Free
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »
i am surprised she made it out   pleasantly
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

brimic

• friends
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:09:13 AM »
Sounds like a good ending to me- noone got shot 26 times, had their dog shot, or had a flashbang thrown on one of their toddlers in an amateurish SWAT raid.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 10:38:07 AM »
I have to say, at least from what I got from the story, that despite what sounds like a jackass convention on the prosecution's side, the woman's defense attorney seemed to really be on his game and was taking his client's rights seriously.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »
Sounds like a good ending to me- noone got shot 26 times, had their dog shot, or had a flashbang thrown on one of their toddlers in an amateurish SWAT raid.

Yeah, I'm proud to be an american where at least I know I'm free ...   :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 06:43:03 PM »
The Maldonados said they will likely avoid future trips to Mexico.

Good plan.

I can't imagine why any American would risk entering Mexico. My wife has a close cousin who is a professor in Mexico City, and they both agree it would be foolish for me to even consider visiting him ... even with my wife (who is a Latina, but not Mexican).
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design