Author Topic: USA Today report on where the jobs are  (Read 1033 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
USA Today report on where the jobs are
« on: October 01, 2014, 10:26:26 AM »
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2014/09/30/where-the-jobs-are/16481703/

Plug in your metro area and see what jobs are out there and what they are paying.  No listing for risk managers, though.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
Re: USA Today report on where the jobs are
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:06:30 AM »
There are no jobs someone with less than high school education can get around here that pay below $8.xx/hour.  At least not according to that list.

And I'd really like to see how they define "livable wage".

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 11:21:59 AM »
And I'd really like to see how they define "livable wage".

stay safe.

My guess is the progressive $15/hr. The study seems to correlate right in that range, at least across all the areas that I looked up. It didn't seem to differentiate, for instance, between where I live and where my folks live. Average apartment rent here is $1500/mo. Average apartment rent where my folks are is around $700/mo. In both places, jobs below $15/hr were "non-liveable", and jobs over $15/hr were "liveable". Does not compute with the difference just in rent, let alone other costs of living.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »
A package handling center at the Billings airport is moaning and groaning because they can't find workers at $11-something an hour.

But it's mostly seasonal (holiday) part time work.  =|

Sure, a nice strong drug free guy is just itching to do 4 hours of heavy fast work early in the morning for a couple months ...   ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 11:50:12 AM »
Sure, a nice strong drug free guy is just itching to do 4 hours of heavy fast work early in the morning for a couple months ...   ;/

Bingo.  "drug free" alone is probably 'worth' a couple bucks an hour.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 01:10:22 AM »
You'd be amazed the number of folks who won't apply for a job where they might be tested. And sadly the parents who understand and support them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 11:05:43 AM »
I figure anybody qualified either already has a job or needs full time permanent work.

In between professional contracts, I would even consider it except for the 120 mile RT commute for 4 hours work  :facepalm:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Calumus

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 02:54:59 PM »
Interesting. Apparently, according to USA Today, $15.53/hr isn't livable in the Tampa area. $15.55 is however.