Author Topic: Anyone have a heat pump and a system humidifier?  (Read 1739 times)

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Anyone have a heat pump and a system humidifier?
« on: October 16, 2005, 11:45:42 AM »
What kind of humidifier do you have?

Did you install it yourself?

I'm trying to research a replacement, and all I'm getting is confused.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2005, 11:56:38 AM »
The kind I like best right now is AprilAire's Model 600. Monitors outside air temp and automatically adjusts indoor humidity setting accordingly. Passive flow through type that I mount on the return and pipe a 6" buc duc from it to supply to create the air flow through it. It has a built in manual summer / winter damper. It trickles water down a media pad (aluminum mesh), there is some discharge that must be drained away. Pads are replaceable and life expectancy varies per water hardness and / or acidity. I think it's the best around but naturally that is IMHO...

Smiley
Avoid cliches like the plague!

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2005, 01:07:13 PM »
How difficult was it to install? How expensive?

The Aprilaire models were ones that I was looking at.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2005, 02:20:05 PM »
Lessee, I'm paying $116 plus 6% sales tax for a wholesale purchase. I'm not sure what list is. They are not too tough to put in. You have to have room on the return or supply duct, maybe 18" x 18" roughly. You'll have to cut a hole in the sheetmetal on both. About 1' x 1' for the humidifier and a round 6" hole for the buc duct. I ust a stick-on 6" round tap in / take off for connecting the buc duct to the supply. You also have to mount a humidistat (supplied) in the return duct, small rectangular hole. Then you'll need a 24V source (they include a small 115 x 24 transformer) That all has to get wired together and somehow activated by a call for fan in the heat mode. Some units will have a termina designated for humidifier. There is a thermistor that needs to be mounted outside and that also has to get wired to the humidistat. Lastly you'll need a place for the runoff to go. (pump or drain) and you'll need some 1/4" copper tube to connect the water supply. They provide a saddle tap valve. I usually tap into the hot water FYI. Normally I'll get the whole thing done in 4 hours or less. Depends on how far I have to run all the wire. The drain requires a few feet of1/2" vinyl tube depending on how far you have to go with it.

It CAN be mounted on either supply or return. I usually put it on the return, but that's just me. No set rule, whichever works the best as far as room goes. The return is usually larger.

How far are you from Hartford CT? I might able to order one and have it drop shipped to you so you don't have to pay retail. Just wholesale and shipping.

Wink

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2005, 02:32:47 PM »
I'm in Virginia near DC.

That sounds like a lot more work than what I really want to get into. I may simply go with an independent console unit.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 02:48:36 PM »
Yup, I hear you. But then your carrying buckets of water to it on a regular basis. We have one because our heat is baseboard. If you find one that maintains it's own water level I'd be very interested in hearing about it! The only place I found that even HAS consoles is Sears. Let me know how you make out!

Smiley

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2005, 04:04:11 PM »
Mike, why do you need to add humidity?  Since you live near DC, I assumed you'd get enough naturally.  I have a heat pump, which is insufficient when really cold, but my house doesn't seem to get too dry in winter.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2005, 05:39:02 PM »
Spring and summer is very humid here, but winter is dry as a bone.  

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2005, 06:17:10 PM »
As Chris says (he lives about 15 miles from me, but on the wrong side of the tracks Smiley ) winters here get VERY dry.