Author Topic: Teaching our youth to respect the political process  (Read 1204 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Teaching our youth to respect the political process
« on: January 27, 2017, 07:58:14 AM »
When I was in junior high school, we had a class called "Social Studies" (probably roughly what is now "Civics") in which we learned how the political process works, how Congress enacts laws, and useless stuff like what the Constitution says.

Curricula have changed, apparently:

https://youtu.be/jSunSxquqdU

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/01/26/disd-teacher-in-hot-water-over-classroom-stunt/

The new normal is for teachers to demonstrate to students that, if you don't like the results of an election, you shoot the winner.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

RoadKingLarry

• friends
Re: Teaching our youth to respect the political process
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2017, 09:01:16 AM »
My 7th grade ('74-'75) Social Studies teacher was WWII Army Vet. He was at Bastogne. We didn't get what passes for social studies today from him.
One of my regrets is that at the time I had my head up and locked and wish now I'd paid more attention to him.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2017, 10:44:42 AM »
We had a social studies class in the 80's, but I remember it as more culture stuff, not govt.  My memory is hazy on what it covered.  Wasted time probably.

I had a Civics class in high school that covered this subject in detail.  Half the year on the federal govt and constitution and half the year on Texas state govt and constitution.  Less on history and more on the mechanics of how things were set up. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
When I was in junior high school, we had a class called "Social Studies" (probably roughly what is now "Civics") in which we learned how the political process works, how Congress enacts laws, and useless stuff like what the Constitution says.

Curricula have changed, apparently:

https://youtu.be/jSunSxquqdU

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/01/26/disd-teacher-in-hot-water-over-classroom-stunt/

The new normal is for teachers to demonstrate to students that, if you don't like the results of an election, you shoot the winner.

Her shooting form is pure gangsta.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2017, 10:58:17 AM »
It seems back in the day.... way back... things like civics mattered.

In Oklahoma (High School) I had to do a Civics class, Oklahoma History and American History classes, it was not an option.

A semester of Political Science was highly recommended as a early college course.

At least we only had about 70 some counties we had to memorize (plus knowing the prefix for the county on the state license plates for cars ?).

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 11:10:55 AM »
So on the OP, the teacher is only suspended (I assume with pay) while an "investigation" is in progress? How does that jive with a kid drawing a picture of a gun or pointing a finger being immediately expelled? Zero tolerance for all, yo.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 11:37:46 AM »
So on the OP, the teacher is only suspended (I assume with pay) while an "investigation" is in progress? How does that jive with a kid drawing a picture of a gun or pointing a finger being immediately expelled? Zero tolerance for all, yo.

It jives because students don't have a union with lawyers on speed dial.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 11:42:53 AM »

Still waiting for someone to develop those true 3D, open air, life size, realistic holograms from all the scifi shows.  What better way to draw the loonies than to give them the target out in the open?  Lock several of them away for life after they take a shot at the decoy and watch the rest settle down.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
It jives because students don't have a union with lawyers on speed dial.

I sense a career opportunity in the offing ...
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2017, 10:49:15 AM »
I wonder what would have happened if the image were of Obama?

Still "No big deal?"
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.