Author Topic: Mass shooting at Quebec mosque: five killed  (Read 4324 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Mass shooting at Quebec mosque: five killed
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 01:09:14 AM »
I thought they had that reasonable gun control in Canada. Was there an Operation Fast & Polite that passed out guns to the Canuck drug lords?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 08:48:40 AM »

Two suspects are in custody.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:35:41 AM »
Two suspects are in custody.
They gave very little information about these suspects they have in custody.  It made me suspicious, but there might be good reasons for it.  

Also, for two gunmen, only 14 people killed or wounded.  They are lucky it wasn't worse.  Must be magazine capacity limits.  
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 10:40:16 AM »
Reports are coming in that at least one suspect is Moroccan.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1013833/attentat-mosquee-quebec-etudiants-universite-laval

(It's in french, but you can translate it.)

The police would not confirm said reports, though.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 10:43:56 AM »
Reports are coming in that at least one suspect is Moroccan.

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1013833/attentat-mosquee-quebec-etudiants-universite-laval

(It's in french, but you can translate it.)

The police would not confirm said reports, though.

This article is about a bombing at a university cultural center, not a shooting at a mosque. Related incidents?
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 10:47:17 AM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-canada-mosque-shooting-idUSKBN15E04S

Perpetrators are as yet unknown.

The mosque's president, Mohamed Yangui, who was not inside when the shooting occurred, said he got frantic calls from people at evening prayers.

"Why is this happening here? This is barbaric,” he said.

Yes, terrorist attacks are barbaric. How active have you been in denouncing "barbaric" Islamist terrorist attacks around the world? How active have you been in denouncing the brutal and "barbaric" actions of ISIS?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 10:51:42 AM »
This article is about a bombing at a university cultural center, not a shooting at a mosque. Related incidents?

First paragraph:

The two suspects were arrested in connection with the attack Sunday night at the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec would study at Laval University, told Radio-Canada a source close to the investigation.

And I'm not seeing anything about a bombing...

Incidentally, the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec (City) IS the mosque where the shooting took place.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

HankB

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 10:55:57 AM »
IT MAY BE A HOAX, but social media is "reporting" that the perps are Bashr al-Taweed and Hassan Matti, two Syrian refugees who arrived a week ago. As of now, I can't find ANY official confirmation. So maybe it's true, or maybe someone just made it up.

But by applying Coulter's Law, the longer it takes to identify the suspects, the more likely it is that they aren't Caucasians.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 11:04:21 AM »
Both are students at Laval University; one is of Moroccan heritage, the other is a white French-Canadian.  This is from multiple news sources.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 11:08:15 AM »
Both are students at Laval University; one is of Moroccan heritage, the other is a white French-Canadian.  This is from multiple news sources.

If true, that's odd. I'd have expected either two Muslim terrorists or two native (i.e. Canadian/white) terrorists. I realize that the former is not yet contradicted, but still would be surprising.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2017, 11:08:24 AM »
News Article with names:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-gun-shots-1.3957686

They reportedly yelled "Allahu Akbar!" while shooting.  Maybe a homegrown with a new friend?

HankB

• friend
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »
If true, that's odd. I'd have expected either two Muslim terrorists or two native (i.e. Canadian/white) terrorists. I realize that the former is not yet contradicted, but still would be surprising.
Not just surprising, but a diversity triumph, eh?
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2017, 11:51:06 AM »
First paragraph:

And I'm not seeing anything about a bombing...

Incidentally, the Islamic Cultural Centre of Quebec (City) IS the mosque where the shooting took place.

Ah, so.

My French is rusty so I used Google Translator, which is usually pretty good. From the article:

Les deux suspects qui ont été appréhendés en lien avec l'attentat perpétré dimanche soir au Centre culturel islamique de Québec étudieraient à l'Université Laval, a confié à Radio-Canada une source près de l'enquête.

Google's translation:

The two suspects apprehended in connection with the Sunday night bombing at the Center culturel Islamique de Québec would study at Université Laval, CBC told a source close to the investigation.

However, my French-English dictionary translates "attentat" as (among other things) simply "attack."

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2017, 01:19:19 PM »
CBC is now reporting that one of the two "suspects" is actually just a witness. They're not yet saying which one.

Reuters says that police say it was the Quebecois. Or Quebecoise? Quebekistani?

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
CBC is now reporting that one of the two "suspects" is actually just a witness. They're not yet saying which one.

Is that different from Canukistani?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2017, 01:49:47 PM »

Now things are making more sense.

Can I now fall back on my standing assumption that EVERY TIME the initial reports state that there are two shooters, it's always one?

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2017, 02:14:01 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/news/six-killed-quebec-mosque-shooting-eight-wounded-police-060623483.html

Police were investigating a single suspect in a shooting at a Quebec City mosque that killed six people, with a second person who was arrested now considered a witness, authorities said on Monday.

The suspect in the attack on Sunday evening prayers was Alexandre Bissonnette, a French-Canadian university student, according to a source familiar with the matter.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »
Now things are making more sense.

Can I now fall back on my standing assumption that EVERY TIME the initial reports state that there are two shooters, it's always one?
The reported number killed and and wounded sounds more like a single armed shooter rather than two.

I don't know.  Maybe we should assume that despite fears of Islamophobia, most violent attacks on Muslims are done by other Muslims.  The articles weren't too shy with mention of harassment to imply it was non-Muslims.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2017, 06:14:58 PM »
More news sources are now confirming that it is the white French-Canadian, Mr. Bissonnette, who is the accused shooter.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2017, 06:30:31 PM »
The reported number killed and and wounded sounds more like a single armed shooter rather than two.

How does an unarmed shooter work?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2017, 06:53:02 PM »

I don't know.  Maybe we should assume that despite fears of Islamophobia, most violent attacks on Muslims are done by other Muslims.  The articles weren't too shy with mention of harassment to imply it was non-Muslims.

Stupid idea, but I wonder if it might be Sunni vs Shi-ite.  (seriously? you think that's an expletive?)
"It's good, though..."

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2017, 07:47:51 PM »

Probably right up there with unarmed victims.

Not too good.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2017, 08:13:00 PM »

Very slowly ...

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."