Author Topic: The Judge's Hat  (Read 1913 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
The Judge's Hat
« on: January 30, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »
Curious what Chris and the attorneys have to say about this. Could someone request another judge if they saw their judge walk to the bench wearing one of these hats? Seems like it's advertising a potential bias to me, and depending on what your case was (or your gender), I would worry about getting a fair shake.

http://twitchy.com/brettt-3136/2017/01/30/get-my-cat-ears-going-here-travis-county-judge-dons-womens-march-pussy-hat-in-courtroom/
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: The Judge's Hat
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 09:42:28 PM »
I see from the source article that she was not acting as a judge in a judicial proceeding whilst wearing the hat.  She is the lead county commissioner and was presiding over a commissioner meeting.  She is not a judge that hears cases, but instead is part of the elected body that runs the county.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 09:52:48 PM »
Oh, okay. Typical liberal politician then. :P  =D
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 10:21:59 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKvDuyEUDIE&feature=em-uploademail&ab_channel=TNNRaw2
Texas Judge Wears PussyCat-Ears In Support Of Feminist While On The Bench! Is This LEGAL
TJ Sotomayor
If you have never seen TJ, strap in and hang on cause it's QUITE the ride...  [popcorn]

:old:
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 11:19:32 PM »
From the news video within that TNN video, it appears she's not a real judge, but is just given that title by the county. Is that a weird Austin thing, or is that everywhere in TX for these kinds of positions?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 06:34:33 AM »
Real judicial officers have rules which govern their behavior, a code of judicial conduct, which are intended to protect the integrity and impartiality of the courts.  Most prohibit judges from publicly taking positions on issues, which is why I can come here, a private board, and discuss politics, but I can't campaign for a candidate or issue.
If she is a real judge handling issues like custody cases, I would consider filing a petition to disqualify with the state supreme court,  and seek to have her removed.  I would also consider filing a complaint for conduct unbecoming if she wore that in court while presiding over hearings.  It makes the court look bad.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2017, 10:35:51 AM »
For what it's worth, this particular judge was on the front page of the local rag about a year or two back, castigating the voters-at-large for having the audacity to vote DOWN a bond issue to build a palatial new courthouse in downtown Austin - where it's not only quite expensive, but where there's a dearth of parking for jurors, plaintiffs, witnesses, or anyone else who needs to go to the courthouse for any reason and doesn't have a reserved spot - the way judges do.

As to what her responsibilities are, from: https://www.traviscountytx.gov/commissioners-court/county-judge/frequently-asked-questions

Answer: The County Judge is the presiding officer and a voting member of the Travis County Commissioners Court. In the role of presiding officer, the County Judge sets the Court’s weekly voting session agenda, and is often thought of as the chief administrator of the County through the Court´s responsibility for approving annual budgets for the entire County. In large counties like Travis, the County Judge no longer exercises judicial functions as a probate or constitutional county court judge, though the office retains the power to conduct marriages and may also be called upon to conduct administrative hearings.

Additionally, the County Judge is a statutory member of several important boards, including the Juvenile Board and Bail Bond Board. Further, the County Judge approves Mass Gathering Permits, manages the process for forming cities and library districts, and, as an agent of the State of Texas, has authority in relation to alcoholic beverages, specifically regarding Wine & Beer permits and licenses. Lastly, the County Judge is designated by a long-standing executive order of the governor, pursuant to the Texas Disaster Act of 1974, as the executive officer for civil defense within Travis County.

The County Judge is elected county wide to a four-year term coinciding with the term of the governor.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
For what it's worth, this particular judge was on the front page of the local rag about a year or two back, castigating the voters-at-large for having the audacity to vote DOWN a bond issue to build a palatial new courthouse in downtown Austin - where it's not only quite expensive, but where there's a dearth of parking for jurors, plaintiffs, witnesses, or anyone else who needs to go to the courthouse for any reason and doesn't have a reserved spot - the way judges do.

Didn't that trigger a (small and quickly shut down) stink over jury pay not being enough to cover parking or even bus fare?

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2017, 11:28:59 AM »

As to what her responsibilities are, from: https://www.traviscountytx.gov/commissioners-court/county-judge/frequently-asked-questions

I wish I had a reserved parking spot.  I'm parked a block down the street in a public parking garage.  Actually, I don't mind much.  Gives me more anonymity away from the building, which I want.

That position is the strangest "judge" thing I've ever read about.  Don't even know why they call it a "judge" as there is no judging in that position.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark