Author Topic: Controlling the narrative  (Read 892 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Controlling the narrative
« on: February 02, 2017, 04:02:17 PM »
https://www.thelocal.de/20170202/erdogan-tells-off-merkel-for-using-phrase-islamist-terrorism

So Merkel actually called Islamist terrorism "Islamist terrirism," and Erdogan took issue with the term:

Erdogan, sitting next to Merkel, was stony-faced as she spoke.

Many Muslims oppose any equating of Islam and terror, arguing those who commit crimes purportedly in the name of Islam have nothing to do with a religion that espouses peace.

"This expression 'Islamist terror' seriously saddens us Muslims," Erdogan replied, glancing sternly at the German chancellor.

"Such an expression is not correct because Islam and terror cannot be associated. The meaning of Islam is peace."

He said it would be "saddening" if the term was used because of the crimes of the so-called Islamic State (IS) extremist group, which has been blamed for a string of attacks in Turkey over the last year.

"Please let's not use it. As long as it is used we need to stand against it. As a Muslim president personally I cannot accept that," he said.

Reality check, Mr. Erdogan. As long as Muslims are committing acts of terrorism in the name of Islam, it is Islamist terrorism. If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem. Why don't you stop worrying about the language and start doing more to stop the terrorism.

Oh, wait ... I forgot, you're an Islamist yourself.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Controlling the narrative
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 04:38:13 PM »
"Islam" means peace? Um, no; check your facts.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 04:57:13 PM »

He's playing a role for his supporters. Dude is kinda in the middle of trying to become a Turkish Putin, so expect a lot of nationalist piety, tough talking to outsiders and whatnot. Mind you, they just recently arrested thousands of people, executed an unknown number of them and are have systematic purges of various Turkish institutions to put more of his supporters in power.

Erdogan isn't trying to state facts categorically. He's using rhetoric to send a message. The specific words used are essentially meaningless. "We're pure as snow, you're bad, we are superior in everyway. Ignore the corruption, murders, show trials, etc."
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Pb

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 12:39:17 PM »
Islam and terror can't be associated?   ???

Quran (3:151) - "Soon shall We cast terror into the hearts of the Unbelievers, for that they joined companions with Allah, for which He had sent no authority"

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 12:19:47 AM »
Another messenger of peace has arrived in Paris to spread the word of Islam's ecumenical intentions:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4187460/Lovre-evacuated-Paris.html
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design