Author Topic: How to give away a parrot?  (Read 7673 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Re: How to give away a parrot?
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 09:06:39 AM »
But this one has managed to stay undeceased...
Avoid cliches like the plague!

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 09:09:16 AM »
Punch line of an old joke about a parrot kept in a cage in the living room:  "Awk!  Your hands are cold, Joe!  Your hands are cold, Joe!  Awk!"
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2010, 09:16:06 AM »
Dick - I've volunteered with a parrot rescue group in the past (I've also had a cockatiel now for over 25 years).  PM me with your current city if you don't want to post it here, and I'll see what those people can do.  They're in Tucson, so they won't take the bird directly, but they'll likely know who the local rescue group would be.

Ogad, please, don't tell me they live that lnog!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2010, 09:25:53 AM »

http://www.avianweb.com/cockatielsaspets.html

Cockatiel lifespans in captivity are generally given as 15-20 years, though it is sometimes given as short as 12 to 15 years, yet I have heard of cockatiels that lived to 30 years and even older.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:55 AM »
This thread is nuts.

We had a cockatiel that lived nearly 20 years. We also had a lovebird that lived twenty-some years (I forget exactly how many, although my wife knows). If we'd had it banded with its birth date, it could have gone into the book of world records.

We had a water dragon (similar to an iguana) that was maybe eight inches long when we got it. It ate little grasshoppers. By the time we got rid of it, "Leroy" was nearly three feet long, had laid some eggs so we had to rename it, needed to be fed live baby rats, and was the largest female water dragon the zoo had ever seen.

Why can't we just stick with dogs?

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2010, 11:13:32 AM »

makattack got it right.  I've had more than one avian vet say that he's the oldest 'tiel they'd ever seen.  If he wasn't the oldest, they would say he was by far in the best health of any 'tiel that age they'd seen.  Probably helps that I haven't clipped his wings in 22-23 years (he had an uncomfortably close encounter with the beagle/dachsund we had when I was a kid - lost a couple tail feathers).

He is slowing down quite a bit though.  He's not nearly as perky as he used to be.  There was a time that he'd want to explore all over the place when out of his cage.  Now he generally wants to sit with me and get his head scratched, and occasionally fly to the top of the curtains at the patio door.
Formerly sumpnz

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2010, 05:52:11 PM »
My daughter left two of them with us when she moved out.
Of course when they kids were still living at homoe I made a rule that I got to name any pets they brought in.
Birds are named Buckwheat and Sparky. Buckwheat is a mostly white male. I taught him to call  "Kitty kity kitty" anid to whistle the first couple of bars of Dixie. Sparky is a gray female that is pretty dull. They are about 10 years old now.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2010, 09:37:43 PM »
Craigslist does have a section, Its called.

http:\\www.craigslist.com\food\specialty\Asian\
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2010, 09:43:03 PM »
Craigslist does have a section, Its called.

http:\\www.craigslist.com\food\specialty\Asian\

bwahaha   >:D

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2010, 10:32:35 PM »
My daughter left two of them with us when she moved out.
Of course when they kids were still living at homoe I made a rule that I got to name any pets they brought in.
Birds are named Buckwheat and Sparky. Buckwheat is a mostly white male. I taught him to call  "Kitty kity kitty" anid to whistle the first couple of bars of Dixie. Sparky is a gray female that is pretty dull. They are about 10 years old now.

If you were in WA, and if my wife wouldn't kill me for doing so, I'd say you could give them to me.  Heck, I'd probably take Dick's conure if it weren't for those two issues.  But SWMBO is most definitely not a "bird person".  I fostered a male Vosmaeri Eclectus for a while.  Cool bird.  He liked men but preferred women.  He was constantly climbing down off me and sauntering over to my wife and then climbing up onto her.  That did not amuse my wife.  At. All.
Formerly sumpnz

BMacklem

« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2010, 11:17:34 PM »
I knew I shouldn't have said anything, but now that my wife has heard about it, she wants to know how big it is, and how much you're asking for it.
We are in Milwaukee too, so getting it from you wouldn't be too difficult.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

BMacklem

« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2010, 11:35:31 PM »
Okay, that's what I thought you were talking about.
If you're interested, I'll take it off your hands Dick, depending on how much you're asking for it.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2010, 11:42:55 PM »
I knew I shouldn't have said anything, but now that my wife has heard about it, she wants to know how big it is, and how much you're asking for it.
We are in Milwaukee too, so getting it from you wouldn't be too difficult.

It's about the size of half a loaf of sub sandwich bread. ;)

Seriously, it's about 6-8" from beak to rear, not counting tail feathers. I'm not looking for money, just a good home for it. While it's an old bird, our birds have generally lived far beyond the average life spans. My wife takes very good care of them.

I didn't know you were in Milwaukee. That would work out great.

The bird is very smart, and thus needs a lot of attention. That's why he/she/it shrieks, as he/she/it is wanting human company. When it's with my wife, it's very docile.

BMacklem

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »
Allright then, send me a PM and we can work out details.

Nevermind, you already did, I'll have my wife call today and set up some time to take a gander.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2010, 12:06:08 PM »
The bird is very smart, and thus needs a lot of attention. That's why he/she/it shrieks, as he/she/it is wanting human company.

She  ;)

=D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2010, 12:46:31 PM »
He was constantly climbing down off me and sauntering over to my wife and then climbing up onto her.  That did not amuse my wife.  At. All.

This made me laugh. And given how overall shitty this last month or so, and this week in particular, have been, I needed that. Thanks.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2010, 12:47:24 PM »
One egg in all these years. I don't know what to think. Maybe "he" smuggled it in from outside just to goof on us. ;)

Northwoods

• friend
  • Formerly sumpnz
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2010, 12:55:54 AM »
This made me laugh. And given how overall shitty this last month or so, and this week in particular, have been, I needed that. Thanks.

Ah carp.  Does that mean what I think it means?
Formerly sumpnz

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2010, 04:35:38 AM »
I didn't imagine there would be groups dedicated to "rescuing" shrieking bug-ridden featherheads that mess up floors with their droppings.

Well, they're usually expected to do that for themselves, but in your case, I don't think the featherhead in question can read the self-help books:  http://www.amazon.com/gp/richpub/syltguides/fullview/2GEZGK8ADZ8KU

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2010, 10:42:59 AM »
how to give away a parrot?    sounds like the friend who gave it to you had it down pat!
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #46 on: April 03, 2010, 12:27:08 PM »
how to give away a parrot?    sounds like the friend who gave it to you had it down pat!

Well, not really. A few years later we had arranged to give it back to him, but at the last minute my wife got all emotional, so the bird stayed with us.

At least it's not a goat or a zebra, both animals my wife would love to have, but are infinitely harder to find homes for.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: April 03, 2010, 01:23:18 PM »
At least it's not a goat or a zebra, both animals my wife would love to have, but are infinitely harder to find homes for.
Actually I know a hell of a lot more people that own, and want, goats then those with parrots.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #48 on: April 03, 2010, 02:59:53 PM »
Actually I know a hell of a lot more people that own, and want, goats then those with parrots.

At least you can milk a goat.  And chickens give eggs.  =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin