Author Topic: Yet another car question  (Read 6228 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« on: March 01, 2006, 05:31:08 AM »
As my lemon flavored Altima continues to spew fluids at a rate that would alarm greenpeace, I've decided it's time to start shopping for a replacement.  That replacement needs to be reliable, economical, and reasonably roomy.  I drive 50miles a day and spend upwards of 2.5hours each workday in this car.  

The Toyota Corolla is my safe choice, but I'm also interested in a Dodge Neon (wish I could justify the SRT-4).  The one I drove a few years ago was fun, roomy, and seemed to be pretty decent.  However, it's still a Dodge.  Does anyone have any longterm (more than 2 years) experience with them?  

Does anyone have any experience with the Corolla XRS?  I can't find much info regarding used pricing, but I know they ranged from $17k-$25k new depending on options.  I like what I've read about it's performance and capabilities.  I'd probably be shopping for an 03 model XRS to keep the pricing lower.

How's the Ford Focus shaping up?  My brother had one as a rental a while back and liked it, but I'm concerned about that blue oval attached to the front.  I haven't driven one yet.

I've never been let down by Toyota, but I want to explore my options...

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yet another car question
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2006, 05:48:17 AM »
I have several friends who have had Neons long-term.

Ultimate assessment? You're better off with an Altima...

Get a horse. You can use the shoulders when traffic is backed up.

Are you looking new or used?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2006, 06:08:27 AM »
Used.  What model years did they have?  The stuff I've read indicates the newer ones are much better, but we're still talking about a Dodge...

The legroom was very nice though.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yet another car question
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2006, 06:10:51 AM »
OK, these would have been a bit older...

2, 2001, 2002 model years, most likely.

As far as I'm concerned, after the problems I had with my previous car, Chrysler doesn't get another chance.

I wish I could figure a way to get you eligible for Navy Federal or Pentagon Federal credit union membership. Some really great deals.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2006, 07:11:08 AM »
I doubt it's too helpful, but I rented a neon for a while after my truck went out of commission. I was really, really underwhelmed with that thing. It was brand new of course, but felt like there was about 1 mm of metal between you and the road. Engine always sounded like it was struggling, idled funny at stops, etc. But I have not been a long term owner of one, and don't remember specifics of friends who were.

Seems like a used foreign is the way to go, says the guy who just bought a used dodge pickup. Smiley
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

...has left the building.

Yet another car question
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2006, 08:22:48 AM »
Do you need to have a four-door?

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2006, 08:38:11 AM »
Quote from: Daniel Flory
Do you need to have a four-door?
In all likelyhood, yes.  We have a 2yo daughter (and the required car seat).  If there is a 2door that is VERY easy to get into, then I can consider one, but I've seen very few 2dr cars that have good back seat access.

Chris

Declaration Day

• friends
Yet another car question
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2006, 08:40:28 AM »
My dad has a 1997 Neon.  It's a POS.  He's an older guy who drives few miles.  He's already replaced the head gasket and A/C condenser, along with numerous smaller problems.  The car only has 35,000 miles on it.

I've driven it long distances before, and the wind noise is inexcusable.

Get a Honda or a Toyota.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2006, 09:07:18 AM »
Oh, just remembered, a friend's dad in high school was a mechanic, said he was constantly replacing the head gaskets on the neons. Not sure why that is, just a weak point I guess.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Dannyboy

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2006, 09:12:53 AM »
How about the Mazda3?  I don't think I've heard anything bad about them.  Price isn't too bad either.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2006, 09:21:36 AM »
2002 vw beetle
get the Turbo

nice and quite safe
huge hauling ability
(more than a camaro)
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Yet another car question
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2006, 09:22:59 AM »
Quote from: Declaration Day
Get a Honda or a Toyota.
You know, given the importance of reliability when commuting the NoVa/DC area, I'd go for function over form.  No, a Honyota is not a looker.  But, they run.  And run.  Boringly reliable.  
Anecdotal story:  I bought a Corolla new in '85.  It was during a trucker's strike, and I raised he!! over the fact that it had 1500 miles on it from transferring it from another dealer halfway across the country.  They would not discount it, and I was bitter, but bought it anyway.
362,000 miles later, the odometer stopped working.  I drove it for another year after that, then gave it to a friend, who drove it to Miami from E. TN twice a month for nearly a year.  He then left it on the street in Miami with a note on the dash "Free car", with the keys in it, road-worn but still in running condition.  For all I know, it may STILL be somebody's hoopdie down in South Beach somewhere.

It probably went close to half a million miles, and the only repairs I had were one clutch, one muffler, and front struts.  

Get the 'yota.  Be bored.

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2006, 09:24:07 AM »
Quote from: Dannyboy
How about the Mazda3?  I don't think I've heard anything bad about them.  Price isn't too bad either.
Don't know enough about them, but their association with Ford taints them IMO.  I did like the Miata a friend used to have, but I need backseats. Smiley

2002 vw beetle
get the Turbo

nice and quite safe
huge hauling ability
(more than a camaro)
As much as I like the original Beetle (used to own one), I'll never touch a new VW based on what I've read and the experience my friend is having with his Passat.  

Chris

erik the bold

• friend
  • Bite my shiney metal....
Yet another car question
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2006, 09:27:52 AM »
Well......at least the Neon (or apparently this one) does well in crash tests

Link: http://www.waynesvilledailyguide.com/articles/2006/02/28/news/local_news/news06.txt

Sorry, I just couldn't resist Cheesy
"Belief" is the acceptance of a hypothesis in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.
The plural of anecdote is not "data"

NOTICE: Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
BY ORDER OF THE AUTHOR

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2006, 09:33:42 AM »
Quote from: Felonious Fig
Quote from: Declaration Day
Get a Honda or a Toyota.
Get the 'yota.  Be bored.
More and more, I'm leaning in that direction.  If I get the XRS, I won't be as bored. Wink

My Paseo was boringly reliable and my 4Runner has been so far...

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yet another car question
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2006, 09:36:19 AM »
"If I get the XRS, I won't be as bored."

Oh yeah, you're REALLY going to be able to unwind it every day on I-66 to and from work... rolleyes

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2006, 09:46:13 AM »
Quote from: Mike Irwin
Oh yeah, you're REALLY going to be able to unwind it every day on I-66 to and from work... rolleyes
That's not the only road I drive, nor will I only drive it to/from work.

Chris

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yet another car question
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2006, 09:48:42 AM »
"That's not the only road I drive, nor will I only drive it to/from work."

Gee, I didn't know that.

Pick a road in Northern Virginia. Any road. Good luck unwinding at just about any time of the day.

Face it, our traffic sucks, so you can stop pointing now. Cheesy

cfabe

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2006, 10:52:10 AM »
I was going to reccomend a used mazda6, I like mine. Comfortable, quiet, competent suspension and handling, fun to drive, much more shoulder room than the mazda3, and an adult-sized back seat. Mine has the 4cyl/5sp and is rated at 29mpg. I found the 6 much more pleasing to drive than the camry or altima I tried. Has a 4yr/60k warranty, too.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2006, 01:16:04 PM »
does the passat have a german engine or a mexican engine?

my 98 mexican 2 liter beetle burned oil...

my 02 german 1.8 T runs like a clock
53k miles and other than a warranty on a fuel injector
it has not been in the shop
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Yet another car question
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2006, 02:31:45 PM »
Civic/Corolla, Accord/Camry...snoozemobiles.  If all you are looking for is a transportation appliance, there you are.
If you want something that says "I am not part of the herd"  look at Saab, Volvo (never thought I'd say that) , BMW, Mazda, Nissan Maxima, MINI (in 07 they will have a long wheelbase Traveller), et yada.
Depends on your needs, desires and budget.

...has left the building.

Yet another car question
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2006, 03:17:16 PM »
I would go for an '06 Civic Sedan. The 8th Generation Civic is snagging award after award...

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2006, 05:51:46 PM »
If you want something that says "I am not part of the herd"  look at Saab, Volvo (never thought I'd say that) , BMW, Mazda, Nissan Maxima, MINI (in 07 they will have a long wheelbase Traveller), et yada.
In Northern Virginia, all of those say "I'm part of the herd".  I passed at least 3 Minis, and untold number of Beemers, Mazdas, Nissan Maximas, etc on the way home.  If I truly wanted to stand out, I'd get another VW Beetle (a real one).

I would go for an '06 Civic Sedan.
Just barely out of my price range.

Chris

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Yet another car question
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2006, 06:44:41 PM »
No Brainer Snoozemobiles:
Honda Civic
Toyota Corolla

More Interesting:
Mazda 3
Volkswagen Jetta

Jetta would be my choice.  I'd prefer a deisel with manual tranny.

Out of Left Field:
Ford Fusion
Chevy Cobalt
Chevy Malibu with V-6

The GM & Ford small autos closely match the ricers in quality, nowadays...and can usually be had for many fewer dollars.

A used rental car Chevy Malibu with a V-6 will keep you from snoozing.  They look like, well, a rental, but they will ove out like a scalded a$$ ape.  Just don't buy hte ones I have rented.  I have my foot in them all the time with a stupid-looking smile on my face.  They are my preferred mid-sized rental.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yet another car question
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2006, 08:28:25 PM »
Jettas unfortunately have a pretty bad used record.