Author Topic: Yet another car question  (Read 6227 times)

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2006, 02:41:08 AM »
does the passat have a german engine or a mexican engine?
Dunno, but it's not just engine problems.  He's had the car about 3 years and it's been in the shop more than my Toyotas have been in their entire period of ownership by me.

The GM & Ford small autos closely match the ricers in quality, nowadays...and can usually be had for many fewer dollars.
That's what I've been hearing, but I'm still hesitant.  I'd like to hear that from people that have owned the cars for at least 50k miles.

Chris

mfree

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2006, 03:15:06 AM »
" I'd like to hear that from people that have owned the cars for at least 50k miles."

Trouble is, you won't Smiley Can you imagine forums full of "My f***ing Ford, I can't break it! 100,000 miles and it's still tight as a drum, this sucks!"?

You rarely if ever hear the success stories, unless there are enthusiasts. There's a list on allpar.com of 200K and 300K+ Chryslers thats longer than my arm but you've got to go *looking* for it.

btw, the Neon generally doesn't appear on that list, but there are spirits, shadows, daytonas, aries, etc. all over the place mixed in with diplomats, trucks, and vans. Particularly the big vans.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yet another car question
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2006, 05:09:52 AM »
I've always like the VWs, even back in the Rabbit days.

I was looking at getting a Jetta when I replaced my car a few years ago, and I'm glad that I didn't.

My former boss and a former coworker both bought Jettas around the same time, they have both been extremely problematic.

Peggy has been particularly disappointed because her 2002 Jetta replaced a 1987 Jetta with over 190,000 miles on it.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Felonious Monk/Fignozzle

Yet another car question
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2006, 06:59:07 AM »
Hey, just thought of this:  Want a used car at a decent price with a warranty, multi-point inspection, and the written service record?

http://www.enterprisecarsales.com/carsales/home.do

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yet another car question
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2006, 07:03:33 AM »
I know quite a few people who have bought former fleet cars and have been very happy with what they've gotten.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2006, 07:23:43 AM »
Actually, that sort of thing is high on my list if I end up not getting the Corolla XRS.  

Chris

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2006, 07:26:33 AM »
It's kind of surprising to me that others have been happy with the fleet cars. I know of a lot of people who abuse the heck out of their rental. I suppose the rigorous maintenance can make up for a lot of that.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

Chris

Yet another car question
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2006, 10:44:23 AM »
I have a 1996 Didge Intrepid with just over 120,000 miles on it.  6 Cylander engine.  I bought it used in 2001 with about 60,000 miles on it.  Only work done has been brakes, tires, a battery, and a new radiator thanks to a young neighbor backing out of her driveway too fast into the front bumper of my Intrepid.  The black trim paint has failed on the panels along the windows between the front and back doors, but the underlying metal is aluminum, so it isn't rusting.  The headlight brackets broke during a bulb change, so some aluminum tape and JB weld hold them in place.  And the rear right tail light has a crack somewhere in the housing, and it collects water.

Still get 24 mpg on the highway, and it's faster than I ever thought, including running really hot on a few calls as a prosecutor.  So, not all Dodge's are trouble.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2006, 11:13:48 AM »
one of the best parts of VW Beetle ownership
 is dropping the kids off in front of the school
and watching the punch buggy fisticuffs breaking out

Wink

I had an olde aircooled VW for 10 years

in DC air conditioning is required

having to squeegie the INSIDE of the windshield on the beltway was stressful...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

...has left the building.

Yet another car question
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2006, 12:38:59 PM »
Based on all the input, I think the Corolla XRS would be a good choice. It is of course an economy sedan, but it has the good grace of having a VVTL-i engine. This motor will be quite fun when you keep it in the higher revs. So you'll get all of the advantages of an economy car such as price, insurance cost, maintenance cost, etc. plus have a car with "sport tendencies".

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2006, 12:50:24 PM »
That's what I was thinking.  However, I have a feeling it's going to be hard to find.  I've only found one for sale and that was a bit "hinky" (a 2005 XRS with 20k miles for $12k?).  I read somewhere that Toyota's 05 production was only 5000 units.  None of the Toyota Certified Used dealerships within 400 miles have one.  Luckily, I'm not in a hurry yet.

Chris

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Yet another car question
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2006, 02:25:00 PM »
Harold, you think squeeging the inside is bad? We had a 71 VW Beetle in Germany and had to use a scraper on the inside!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2006, 05:14:38 AM »
the scraper was used in winter

my Thing had the optional Eberspacher gas fired heater

tick, tick, tick, wooooffff
it fired a  plume of heat right at your right leg
there was no insulation in the body and the soft top was a  flapping...

last night i  was following a Scion XB at speed up 270

it seemed to have some beans...
i check one out last fall, they are pretty roomy...

the reason why i bought my NBs was because of the cabin
theres wookie sized legroom

i can not  fit under the steering wheel in most cars...
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yet another car question
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2006, 05:21:26 AM »
" i  was following a Scion XB at speed up 270"

At speed up 270 on a Friday night?

Tell us, Harold, was this a hallucination, a dream, or at 3:45 in the morning? Smiley

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2006, 05:23:30 AM »
7:15 pm
80-85 mph

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
Yet another car question
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2006, 05:28:55 AM »
I had a '98 Neon Expresso (Plymouth version of the RT- same engine, no "Please give me a ticket" racing stripe)- NEVER gave me an ounce of trouble.  EVER.  OK, just once.  I had put about 80,000 miles on her in about 4 years.  I needed to replace the fuel pump.

I sold her to my friends (I worked for Chrysler and was geting a free new car every 6 months), and she now has over 115,000 on her, still going somewhat strong.  She needs a head gasket and the sunroof won't open, but what do you expect for a $14,000 car that is 8 years old?

THAT SAID-
I would look at the Hondays and Toyotas and Nissans- I don't think you can beat foreign cars, and Japanese cars seem to hold resale better.  IMHO.
One day at a time.

Calumus

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2006, 04:16:30 PM »
Depending on your price range and whether you're planning on leasing or buying I'd recommend a Subaru Impreza, or a Mazda 3 in the size category you seem to be thinking about. Unfortunatly while some of the less expensive American cars can last a while, after 30 or 40k they feel like what they are, inexpensive transportation. The Impreza on the other hand is built like a tank, will feel about the same with 80k miles on it as it did when it was new. You get all wheel drive, 165 horsepower in the base model, 4 wheel discs and abs, a/c, cd power everything standard on any of them made in the last 4 years or so, and it will out handle anything remotely near its price range from a domestic manufacturer (minus the new Pontiac Solstice, but I don't think you're looking for a 2 seat convertable)  Absolutely phenominal little cars. There's a reason that over 90% of Subaru owners buy another Subaru.  The Mazda is the same car underneath as the baby Volvo. They handle very well, they last a long time (my 1st car was a Mazda MX3 GS with a little 1.8 liter V6. I beat the living snot out of that car from day 1 and it still ran great when I traded it in on my Mustang. I still really miss the way it handled which is why I'm probably going with a Mazda RX8 next time around) Test drive both of them and compare them to the others. Cheers,
Shawn

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
Yet another car question
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2006, 07:20:59 PM »
I've got a 97 Subaru Outback, and I adore the thing. Bigger than the Impreza, which harshes on gas mileage, but it's a mountain goat on bad roads.

The only problem with them is that they have oil pump O ring seal problems.

Calumus

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2006, 03:15:48 AM »
Those, and the head gasket issues were fixed for the '02 model year. Smiley  Cheers,
Shawn

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
Yet another car question
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2006, 12:50:15 PM »
Quote from: mtnbkr
How's the Ford Focus shaping up?  My brother had one as a rental a while back and liked it, but I'm concerned about that blue oval attached to the front.
Chris
Don't be!
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Yet another car question
« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2006, 01:44:40 PM »
My vote for a Volkswagen Thing. Almost nothing to go wrong, and what does go wrong can be fixed with a rock, some bailing wire, and a pair of pliers.

The A/C and heat are no problem - in winter you are nice and cool and in summer you are toasty warm. See, no problem!

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Yet another car question
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2006, 03:22:55 PM »
The only thing you have to look out for on the focus is the bumpers.  The expiration date and barcode are tiny and rather hard to see without proper lighting.

mtnbkr

• friend
Yet another car question
« Reply #48 on: March 26, 2006, 05:49:07 PM »
We got a car quicker than I expected.  My wife found a 2003 Camry in the this Saturday's paper for $8980.  We got lucky.  The paper was a freebie being given away by the publisher at a craft show we decided to visit at the last minute.  Had my wife declined the paper or we not even had gone, we would've missed this deal (as of last night, it was still on autotrader.com at $10980).  It has a 4cyl engine with 5spd manual, 71k miles, excellent condition, single owner, etc at a Ford dealership.  They had just knocked 2k off the price.  Around here, similar 2002-2004 Camrys run $12k-18k.  This one has a clean Carfax, no obvious problems, and drives like a dream.  I had planned on getting a Corolla for the gas mileage, but even newer used Corollas are running 10k+.  The money we saved on the Camry will pay for the difference in fuel for quite a while.  Even better, this car is actually comfortable to ride in.  It has power locks, power windows, AM/FM/Tape/CD stereo, and tons of storage.  

I love buying Toyotas at Ford dealerships.  We bought our 4Runner from another Ford place for several thousand less than the same vehicle at a Toyota lot.  The Ford folks get them as trade-ins and try to dump them quickly.  Oh, they gave us $400 for our POS Nissan.  

Even though it's a largish car with a 4cyl engine, it's quite peppy thanks to Toyota's new variable valve timing technology and the 5spd.  I won't win any races, but I won't have to get out and push either.

Tomorrow's commute is going to be nice (well, as nice as it can be in NoVa...).

Chris