Author Topic: Ninja 250 vs. 650 dual-sport  (Read 14574 times)

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
Re: Ninja 250 vs. 650 dual-sport
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2011, 06:33:40 PM »
look at this
http://reno.craigslist.org/mcy/2184688157.html
Don't know where you live but your height/weight & dirt bike experience you can get a bike like this and not worry about anything.

10 speed with two gear shifters?  Riiiiight.  Pretty bad when someone doesn't know the diff between a shifter and a brake pedal.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2011, 06:44:29 PM »
10 speed with two gear shifters?  Riiiiight.  Pretty bad when someone doesn't know the diff between a shifter and a brake pedal.

Brad

Yep, they made one with a 10 speed gearbox. It's a collectors item now, not a good choice for a first bike. You want something that won't lose any value and has minimal repair cost with easy to find parts for when you knock it over.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Lee

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2011, 07:22:06 PM »
I guess the biggest question is - are you going to ride off-road, or at least back roads sometimes?  If not, I don't see the point of a dual-sport for your ride to work.  I have a 650 dual sport, and it's a pretty decent commuter -but if I was going to do it again and buy a straight commuter, it would be at least 1000cc and have sticky road tires.  That said, I do love my bike (BMW F650), and consider it very comfortable and capable for 99% of what I use it for.

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2011, 07:36:41 PM »
he has dirt experience, and a quick commute & 6ft tall.
He needs a bigger bike is all I was getting at, you'd be insane to buy a ninja 250 for a six ft 200 lb guy.

no matter where in the country he lives there is an under 2500$ bike that is perfect for him. its a 750 or larger and can be dropped without serious problems.

This is one area I'm very familiar with as I used to be a motorcycle messenger in the SF bay area for years.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2011, 07:40:14 PM »
no matter where in the country he lives there is an under 2500$ bike that is perfect for him.

Not if replacement parts are hard to find and ridiculously expensive. The 10 speed Honda is not a good choice there.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2011, 01:45:49 AM »
There are a lot of cool bikes under 2500 bucks,- but the problem is condition- and it is usually not the engine-  Tires, brakes. chain and sprockets, shocks etc add up really quick.   Personally, I think something like that BMW F650 is about perfect, another one of those rare "do it all" type bikes, but they are spendy, even used.  The way city streets are now, some long travel suspension is a big plus-

Gunsmith, I do not know this for a fact-but I always got the impression motorcycle courier bikes tended to be "throw-aways",inexpensive  disposable type machines because of the extreme high risk type of riding.   Any truth to it?

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2011, 02:12:44 AM »
Yep, they made one with a 10 speed gearbox. It's a collectors item now, not a good choice for a first bike. You want something that won't lose any value and has minimal repair cost with easy to find parts for when you knock it over.

Color me surprised.  A jackshaft and planetary off the main transmission (the motorcycle equivalent of a two-speed differential on a truck).  Great for marketing and possibly for a couple extra MPG on the highway, but it looks more like a very expensive problem waiting to happen.

That's too bad, too.  The CB900 was a pretty darn good bike, if a bit staid in the styling department.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2011, 08:53:55 AM »
Ah, the BMW F650/Aprilia Pegaso.  Another very nice bike. I would not mind finding a nice F650GS.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2011, 11:02:42 AM »
I guess the biggest question is - are you going to ride off-road, or at least back roads sometimes?

I have no plans to actually ride off-road, and if I did, I would want to get a 'real' dirt bike. However there is a difference between planning to ride off-road and having the ability to do so. Here in Dallas they have those giant mushroom reflectors and rough rode joints. My commute has no highway unless I want it. People here have pretty much set me against the ninja 250 and more toward a dual-sport or something like a CB. I was sort of looking forward to the possibility of taking a ninja to a track, just because it's something I've never done and the track seems like a good place to practice riding skills for the road, but don't they ride 'dirt-like' motorcycles on road tracks as 'supermoto' bikes nowadays?
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2011, 11:12:12 AM »
I have often wondered if a supermoto is anything more than a street-legal dirt bike or dual sport with street tires.

bedlamite

• friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2011, 12:59:07 PM »
They also usually have stiffer/shorter springs, and the wheels are a different size which changes the geometry closer to a sport bike.

Zahc: Look for something like this for the first year or two

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 01:27:14 PM »
This thread is causing me problems. I am now looking at Craigslist at the BMW F650s and Suzuki DL-650s for sale and am starting to drool. But I already have two motorcycles and five bicycles taking up one-half of the garage.  Maybe I will go out today and flog the DR-650 through some twisties until the bad thoughts leave my head.

tokugawa

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2011, 02:13:23 PM »
The DR650 runs really good in the tight stuff-  =D I ended up dropping one tooth in the front because it was geared so high stock as to be useless in the dirt.  My biggest complaint about the bike is the seat, and the rear shock- maybe I will work over the suspension this winter.

The BMW F650 is a nice machine, and apparently the later model (2001 and on)  has a rare combination of high output and great fuel economy.  I guess now the engine is made in China, and they have dropped the retail price almost two grand, to the $8000 area- still high for a 650 single, but a hell of a lot better than the 10K plus they were asking-!

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2011, 02:19:31 PM »
Color me surprised.  A jackshaft and planetary off the main transmission (the motorcycle equivalent of a two-speed differential on a truck).  Great for marketing and possibly for a couple extra MPG on the highway, but it looks more like a very expensive problem waiting to happen.

That's too bad, too.  The CB900 was a pretty darn good bike, if a bit staid in the styling department.

Brad

I owned a CB900 for years.  It was a good bike, reliable as hell, parts were not expensive but the Purple Rain color scheme was awful.  I never played around much with the gear range on the bike, I set it to the "sportier" position and left it.   If it was me I would go for the dual sport bike. 

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2011, 04:34:23 PM »
Ah, the BMW F650/Aprilia Pegaso.  Another very nice bike. I would not mind finding a nice F650GS.

I believe that is the same as the bikes Ewan MacGregor and his BFF Charlie rode around the world a few years ago.
They made a movie of it called "The Long Way Round" (his best work so far). They had few problems along the way but, nothing which couldn't be repaired with a welder. They go through some real *expletive deleted*it.

It's a very interesting documentary.  http://longwayround.com/journeys_long-way-round.htm

You can catch it on Current TV (just don't watch the news on the channel.  ;)
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2011, 07:35:40 PM »

Gunsmith, I do not know this for a fact-but I always got the impression motorcycle courier bikes tended to be "throw-aways",inexpensive  disposable type machines because of the extreme high risk type of riding.   Any truth to it?

Nope, all the guys I know/knew tend to get good bikes that they totally thrash, in the busy days of the late 80's early 90's I was doing around 1000 miles a week during busy months and I would get used FZR600's with ten to twenty grand on them and sell them/keep them for parts around 70,000.

In the busy SF bay area highways you need really good bikes because as a courier you would go long distance at high speed while lane splitting. Often I would start the day by starting out in SF dropping off in north Marin, picking up in Santa Rosa, then Sacramento then Modesto then Alamos lab in the east bay then dropping off in Santa Cruz/Capitola then picking up in San Jose then taking 280, one day I was cruising about 90 mph thinking I was super cool when my friend who was into racing passed me like I was standing still ( within inches) ... I gave up trying to catch him because I'm not comfortable going over a buck ten long distance ( unless I've got a well regulated hi performance bike ) so you see, you need to really have a good bike and know how to ride.

Right now the motorcycle courier biz is a huge pita, fines and fees have driven businesses out of CA as well as MC couriers.
CA is the best place to be a mc messenger because its legal to lane split.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2011, 10:39:07 PM »
I was in the market for a dualsport until today when I seemed to have fixed my 360. Don't know if I would take it cross country yet but it doesn't die after five minutes. I think it was the points, I adjusted them a little today.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2011, 10:40:16 PM »
CA is the best place to be a mc messenger because its legal to lane split
"Don't kill the messenger" takes on new meaning in Cali.  I was in LA a few times this past summer (driving a rental car) and really didn't get used to the splitting lanes thing.  
Being continually lost and tired, and in multiple lanes of fast moving traffic, while having motorcycles zooming between cars, was quite the challenge for me. To my surprise, the roads were in pretty sad shape as well...lots of uneven pavement, debris, etc.  Seemed like there was at least one MC fatality every day on the news. I guess you would get used to it.

BTW -there was an F650GS in the "Long Way Down" movie, but Ewen and Charlie rode BMW R1150s I think.  Ewen's wife rode the F bike.
I think I've posted this video here before...but I'll do it again...it's still one of my favorite pulse raising videos.  This is an R1150 at the Isle of Mann.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3Cu8BZJ_hw

zahc

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2011, 10:49:29 PM »
Thanks to the internets I now shall require a DRZ400SM.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Lee

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2011, 12:05:43 AM »
That's looks like a reasonable decision.  There is lot to be said for the agility of these bikes in close qtrs.  Hope you take this the right way - but I hope you have buns of steel. That's not much of a seat.

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2011, 12:41:41 AM »
Excellent choice!!!
I''ve been wanting a DRZ for ages

coppertales

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2011, 09:59:19 PM »
Get a Kawasaki KLR650.  It will keep you happy for many years.  You will out grow a 250 in a year.  I have been riding for 53 years now.  I prefer vintage Kawasaki 4 cylinder bikes.  I will ride them until ebay parts dry up.  If you want to really attract attention and ride a girl magnet, buy a Ural with a sidecar/........chris3

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2011, 10:51:18 PM »
Nice! A good 400 is plenty for reasonably short commuting. When I lived in California I (temporarily) traded my car for my roommate's Suzuki SP370 for several months. I spent a good share of that time exploring the fire trails and it was a pretty well balanced machine for that sort of riding.

If you have areas readily available for mild off roading, a dual sport is a lot of fun. If your off road opportunities are very limited I believe a road bike is a better choice.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

mgdavis

• friend
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2011, 05:37:54 PM »
Awww, I missed out on a motorcycle thread. I love my DL650 with a passion, I think it's one of the best all-round bikes made today. Great aftermarket support and bulletproof reliability to boot. I can chase sportbikes or dirtbikes, and I get 50-60 mpg on my commute =D. Maybe a touch tall and heavy for a beginner though.

I picked up a '92 DR350S recently; after taking the previously pictured ride I decided that something with knobbies might fall down less in the mud and be lighter to pick up when it falls. It's scary on the road though, and demands much more maintenance.