Author Topic: Not All Bacon is Created Equal  (Read 16643 times)

MrsSmith

• I do declare, someone needs an ass whoopin'
  • friend
Not All Bacon is Created Equal
« on: July 21, 2012, 04:25:38 PM »
We've been getting the applewood smoked bacon at Costco for a couple months now, and I'm addicted to the stuff. Would gladly trade a child or my left arm to taste it's yummy bacony goodness. The problem is, we can only get it from the Costco by his folks house, four hours away.

Ben's been at his folks for the past couple days and I didn't want to cook the good bacon while he was gone, even though he's no doubt enjoying some while he's up there (that's just the kind of girlfriend I am), so I picked up a small package of applewood bacon from the local grocery store. They only had one option, but it's applewood smoked and didn't look too bad, so I gave it a shot. For those of you who wish to conduct your own experiment, the grocery store bacon was from a company called Prairie Group. The stuff from Costco was from Farmer's Hickory. Neither of which I've ever heard of.

It clearly isn't just in the smoking process since two similar pieces of meat smoked in the same fashion should taste the same. So there must be something else to it.

This .... other .... bacon was inferior. The cut wasn't consistent throughout the package, when it was cooked, there were too many "stings," there were too many sections that were too fatty and didn't cook to a pleasant crisp, and the flavor, while not awful (it's bacon, after all), wasn't as deeply and cleanly delicious as the stuff we got at Costco.

But it was still bacon and the pup and I shared the whole package. Next time I'll just eat the good stuff and not worry about sharing. Being a good girlfriend takes second place to eating second rate bacon.

America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

brimic

• friends
Re: Not All Bacon is Created Equal
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2012, 06:22:52 PM »
I've had the applewood from Costco- is good bacon.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
 :facepalm:

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!   Aaaaaaaarrrg! ANOTHER thread about BACON!
Now I'm hungry for BACON -- AGAIN!!!!!!!

Atleast you guys could suggest a CURE!  [popcorn]

:angel:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 06:33:28 PM »
Store bought bacon -> [barf]
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2012, 06:36:12 PM »
Atleast you guys could suggest a CURE!   [popcorn]

Brown sugar, pepper, little salt....
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2012, 06:37:28 PM »
Store bought bacon -> [barf]

You don't seem too sure of that ... for some reason ........ =|

Atleast you didn't include the barf smilie.... [popcorn]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 07:00:31 PM »
:facepalm:

Salt. Then smoke it with apple tree wood.

Duh.
America is at that awkward stage; It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards. ~ Claire Wolfe

grislyatoms

• friends
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 07:07:01 PM »
I get the stuff from the butcher's block at the farm store. It's very good.
In a pinch, Oscar-Meyer thick cut does the job. On the low end, BAR-S has good flavor but the slices end up bits after cooking.

Seems anymore what passes for bacon is what, back home, was called "strk'o'lean". Or "streak of lean". Smoked chunks of pork fat with a bit of lean meat.   ;/
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 07:20:10 PM by grislyatoms »
"A son of the sea, am I" Gordon Lightfoot

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 07:14:01 PM »
Well though old Romy and me did eat the good stuff while I was on the farm, including a bacon and egg sandwich with the bread fried in bacon grease for brunch this morning, I did bring home a couple of packs from the Costco.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 07:19:08 PM »
What is this mass produced, mass sliced stuff you think is bacon?  The European deli (two Russians, a Pole and a German - all Jewish refugees who would not know where the schul was if you pointed it out to them =D)is my source for cured, smoked pork belly.  I used to let them slice it into bacon for me, but they cut it too thin thinking I was an American inside as well as outside.  Now I just get a "hunk" (a precise measurement in the deli bizz, so I'm told) measured as "so many fingers wide".  My hunks are usually between 6 and 7 fingers.  I slice off what I want, as big as I want, at home.

First they smoke it with applewood - yes, I have seen and smell the process.  Then after dry hanging for a week they smoke it with cherry wood.  With the bark on!  They say the arsenic is what gives it the deep flavor.  Since I not only buy a "hunk" every other week but have turned on several friends and three acquaintences to their store and the many goodness to be found therein, I'm pretty sure they are not trying to kill me.

So, to your Farmer's Hickory and your Prairie Group I say "Feh!"

If you want to pay for overnight refrigerated shipping I'd be glad to order an extra finger or two and send it to anyone who wants to try it.  I doubt the guys would consider shipping it themselves because it would involve wrapping stuff in something other than brown butcher's paper and string.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 08:39:16 PM »
Having never bought it, is the Costco bacon thick-cut? And is it their Kirkland Signature house brand or is it another brand that happens to be carried by Costco?

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 09:26:26 PM »
It's thick cut, and it's called "Farmer's Hickory Brand". It's way better than Kirkland Signature, which I'm frankly a little disappointed in.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 09:55:10 PM »

^is still bacon^

Barack Obama

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 10:12:55 PM »
It's thick cut, and it's called "Farmer's Hickory Brand". It's way better than Kirkland Signature, which I'm frankly a little disappointed in.

Okey-dokely!  I will look the next time I am there and see if Seattle-area Costcos carry it.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »

^is still bacon^

If you're willing to pay $20 for a 9 ounce can of bacon, I have a proposition for you.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2012, 10:31:03 PM »
If you're willing to pay $20 for a 9 ounce can of bacon, I have a proposition for you.
But does it come in a cool can?

Barack Obama

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 10:39:15 PM »
I'll put it in a can. I'll even paint the can black and stencil an "assault rifle" on it for you.

TommyGunn

• friend
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 10:57:00 PM »

Salt. Then smoke it with apple tree wood.

Duh.

Wiseacres huh???  =D  Okay I'll take partial responsibility; I sorta set myself up for it, but, double entendre ...REALLY?

I mean if it WASN'T about BACON, after all....but jeeeesh.  it HAS to be BACON!!! [tinfoil] [tinfoil] [tinfoil]

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 11:44:44 PM »
I had uncured bacon with breakfast this morning (bought it by accident).  I like cured bacon much better!

Stetson

• friends
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 12:53:41 AM »
They sell it at the Costco not far from where my wife and daughter are.  It is YUMMY but I prefer the bacon from the butcher up here.

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 12:58:31 AM »
Daily's Peppered, Ends & Pieces. 
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 10:10:15 AM »
Sam's Club, Wright thick sliced hickory smoked is good, IMHO.  Don't get the maple-cured.  Just... don't.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 10:20:36 AM »
HEB brand thick cut jalepeno bacon.  Everything else pales.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 11:49:37 AM »
For my bacon deprived fellow travelers I present The bacony goodness that is Arkansas Bacon.

This 1# of thick cut bacon on an 11X17" sheet pan

Fresh from the oven, still sizzling

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

MrsSmith

• friend
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 12:51:46 PM »
Larry, wanna' ditch Ben and your wife?  >:D