Author Topic: Don't Count on Your Locator Beacon  (Read 9298 times)

Hawkmoon

• friend
Re: Don't Count on Your Locator Beacon
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2015, 07:50:49 PM »
... and dead reckoning works even in no visibility, if you're careful.

And if you have a map, and a compass.

"I don't need a silly old compass -- I have a GPS!"
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:45 PM »
You ain't kidding there.
I kept saying holy "stuff" like a mantra. And I had about a mile no more than 2 to get to where we were staying. In an explorer and the blizzard had just started. It was as scary as anything i have done. Just the walk  from the airport terminal to the car was a challenge. As Fitz observed I think your brain is your most important survival asset. I knew I had zero margin for screwing up.
Glad I got to experience it. Once. Had it to do over I would not have had a baby with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2015, 08:55:53 PM »
To add to what Scout said: This is what a blizzard looks like from a person's perspective.

Here's what it looks like from a smart person's perspective:

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 09:20:26 PM »
You do know most blizzards are not from falling snow, but wind blowing snow around that has already landed.

this is our weather indicator
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 09:24:34 PM »
Needs eggs.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 09:47:24 PM »
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2015, 09:58:12 PM »
To add to what Scout said: This is what a blizzard looks like from a person's perspective.

Those are particularly fun when you're driving. It gets real fun driving my company van when the snow is blowing across in front of you, all you can see is the snow and no point of reference to tell you where you are. Vertigo for the win.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 09:59:57 PM »
And bacon

One should have enough SHTF Emergency Survival Bacon stashed to ride out even the worst that Mother Nature throws at Antarctica.

For someone who stocks ammo in anticipation of TEOTWAWKI Zombie Apocalypse Invasion of the Killer Tomatos that comes out to about three strips per round.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 10:00:37 PM »
Here's what it looks like from a smart person's perspective:

FTFY.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 11:30:50 PM »
You do know most blizzards are not from falling snow, but wind blowing snow around that has already landed.

I don't think that quite fits any recognized definition of "blizzard," although it is certainly a side effect during a blizzard.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 11:55:05 PM »
I don't think that quite fits any recognized definition of "blizzard," although it is certainly a side effect during a blizzard.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard

See ground blizzards, way more common than a snow storm blizzard in the frozen north.

Uranus is a gas giant.

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2015, 12:06:36 AM »
Shelter is the most important asset.  Find a place to hunker down and ride out the storm.  Fire if you can build one, but in 40+ mph winds that going to be real tricky.

If your "shelter" has 40mph winds blowing through it, fire isn't going to help anyway.  OTOH, short of finding yourself on flat rock or solid ice, it's pretty hard for someone experienced in finding and/or making a shelter to not come up with something better than that using only normal survival gear.  Dig a hole, burrow into the snow, crawl under a boulder, whatever it takes to get out of that weather until it clears up enough to look for or make a better shelter.  At a rough guess, I'd say 80% of the volume of my winter 72 hour kit is shelter-related.  A lot of that is multi-purpose, but I'm comfortable with relegating other tasks to only a fifth of the space when the weather warrants.

For summer, (here) I sometimes drop some of the shelter in favor of more water and/or water procurement, because the main shelter concerns become simply shade during the day and mosquito protection at night, with some provision for a rain cover for the occasional cold rain.  (Otherwise, 80F overnight lows don't really make hypothermia an issue, and I've been in a few small summer storms here that were warm enough to make a very comfortable shower.)  When I travel, I also alter the kit for the areas I'll be travelling through.  (Usually by adding another bag, since I still want my "local" gear in case something happens in the first 150-200 miles.)  If I were planning to be in an area where being stuck out in the middle of a huge expanse of solid rock or ice sheet would be a definite possibility, that would also warrant some significant gear changes, like a cold weather bivy sack, properly rated mummy bag and some rock/ice climbing gear.

What it boils down to is knowing some basic information about the area you're going into, the expected weather, and your personal limits.  

Firethorn

• friend
  • Where'd my explosive space modulator go?
« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2015, 12:48:48 AM »
Even something as 'simple' as an arctic sleeping bag, a tarp/survival blanket, and a camp shovel should not only keep you alive, but fairly comfortable in a massive blizzard. 

The trick, I think, is to realize that it's getting bad, pop your beacon, then as said, find a sheltered spot and start digging. 

My training is that, if you can, you dig down a little, then back up a smidge.  Almost like a p-trap.  That way you don't have the direct wind into your shelter.

You might need to stay awake for most of it to clear your entrance occasionally.

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2015, 05:59:48 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard

See ground blizzards, way more common than a snow storm blizzard in the frozen north.

I am 70 years old, I live in the frozen north, and I never heard the term "ground blizzard" before this thread. And in 70 years living in the frozen north, I have never encountered one.

• friends
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2015, 07:30:01 AM »
It's more a prairie thing. It's impressive . I reaches out in a very visceral way and says "hi I am here to kill you" if you are outdoors

It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2015, 08:40:20 AM »
I am 70 years old, I live in the frozen north, and I never heard the term "ground blizzard" before this thread. And in 70 years living in the frozen north, I have never encountered one.

I encountered one on Jan 4, 2015 near Spicer, MN coming home from a ice fishing trip. Cold front came in about midnight, temps dropped from high 20's F to -15F in less than 4 hours, winds picked up and the snow blew and blew and blew. It was a good thing it was a near cloud less day and plenty bright or I would have had to stay in Spicer and wait the blizzard out. I only had to drive 20 or so miles at 15-20 mph before the winds laid down enough to resume back to highway speeds.

Uranus is a gas giant.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2015, 08:43:43 AM »
It's more a prairie thing. It's impressive . I reaches out in a very visceral way and says "hi I am here to kill you" if you are outdoors

not always

Uranus is a gas giant.

• friends
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2015, 08:44:22 AM »
Oh heck no.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2015, 09:32:05 AM »

What it boils down to is knowing some basic information about the area you're going into, the expected weather, and your personal limits.  

Yeah because the forecast is never wrong.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2015, 09:43:08 AM »

That's God's way of saying "look at My pretty mountain...from a distance."

They're wrong plenty, but not often to the degree of "pleasant, sunny spring day" turning out to be "raging wrath of God storm" on a 24 hour outlook.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #45 on: February 18, 2015, 09:53:50 AM »

The forecast doesn't need to be perfect to know it's going to be cold, windy, and snowing up on those mountains in February.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #46 on: February 18, 2015, 10:02:20 AM »
That's God's way of saying "look at My pretty mountain...from a distance."

They're wrong plenty, but not often to the degree of "pleasant, sunny spring day" turning out to be "raging wrath of God storm" on a 24 hour outlook.

I'm sure we've all seen fronts arrive 12+ hours ahead of forecast. 

Not everything in life is foreseeable.  That's all I'm sayin.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #47 on: February 18, 2015, 10:40:08 AM »

Not everything in life is foreseeable.  That's all I'm sayin.

This.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

KD5NRH

• friends
« Reply #48 on: February 18, 2015, 12:26:28 PM »

"She was alone and planned to hike the top of Mount Madison, WMUR-TV said, before heading through Mount Adams, Mount Jefferson and Mount Washington, which at about 6,300 feet is the highest peak in the Northeast."

Now, without mapping it out, I'm betting the through hike of those four is at least a hard full day trip in ideal weather.  A quick look at Mount Washington climate data shows that might happen for a few days in July, but anybody with any sense at all would know that they're going to be camping out in sub-zero temps and probably at least some sort of storm this time of year.

ETA: looks like the shortest route up Madison is 8.2 miles with a 4100' elevation gain.  Book time a little over six hours.  She was found between Madison and Adams, and activated the beacon somewhere around 10 hours after she was dropped off.  Doesn't sound like she would have made it to Washington and down by sunset, even if the weather had been quite a bit better.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:50:18 PM by KD5NRH »