Author Topic: How to be a real man:  (Read 4277 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
How to be a real man:
« on: October 17, 2015, 11:14:16 AM »
Wondering how to be a man among men in this modern age? Never fear - the New York Times is here!

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/02/fashion/mens-style/27-ways-to-be-a-modern-man.html

16. The modern man lies on the side of the bed closer to the door. If an intruder gets in, he will try to fight him off, so that his wife has a chance to get away.

Boldface mine. Why is he trying to fight the intruder (with the long-handled shoehorn he so thoughtfully purchased)?

25. The modern man has no use for a gun. He doesn’t own one, and he never will.

I can only hope that his fleeing wife is heading for the gun safe that her husband is too delicate to open. Perhaps after she has taken care of business, hubby can be the widdle spoon, while they watch Michael Mann films about men that actually use guns. He will cry. Often.

The modern man is not troubled by his failure to defend his family, however. The intruder was most likely some gauche simpleton that drinks Mountain Dew (instead of proper, manly Coke) and lacks a melon baller.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
Re: How to be a real man:
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
The modern man has no use for a gun. He doesn’t own one, and he never will.

:facepalm:  What am I supposed to do with all my guns? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
 [popcorn]

I wonder if it occured to the author if having a gun might come in handy in case of that intruder popping in....guns work better than long-handled shoehorns.... [tinfoil]
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2015, 11:30:56 AM »
Sounds like the NYT misspelled "metrosexual man" as "modern man."
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2015, 11:33:29 AM »
The modern man uses the proper names for things. For example, he’ll say “helicopter,” not “chopper” like some gauche simpleton.

It's helo....damnit!!! Why are the sea services the only ones that use the proper name????  :)

The modern man doesn’t cut the fatty or charred bits off his fillet. Every bite of steak is a privilege, and it all goes down the hatch.

Well, that part is right. In fact I think I will practice that advice tonight. ;)

Too bad you can't  put comments in there, that would be a gold mine of humor.   =|

bob

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 11:40:09 AM »
#1) Other than Jamis, who is going to take a chance on buying shoes for their wife?

#6) We have sunk to this? How about making sure the home is secure and defense is readily available, including the spouse's gun?

#8) It's helo.

#10) Take your balls out of your purse.

#11) Yet he 'tweets", so... [/Longmire]

#13) Who?

#17) [Longmire]                     [/Longmire]

#24) Yes, that's nearly as brave as storming the beach at Normandy.

#27) [Longmire]                                                                                                                      [/Longmire]  

EDIT: Bob beat me on "helo" by 30 seconds.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2015, 11:46:07 AM »
It's funny how, right after 9/11, even the NYT celebrated "real men" like firefighters, cops and construction guys. It was as if they'd never noticed them before. They were celebrities for a week, and then we're back to this.

BobR

• Just a pup compared to a few old dogs here!
  • friend
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2015, 11:51:33 AM »
The perfect accessory for the wife of the modern man.

As he says, "Here honey, why don't you take these, I won't be needing or using them anymore."

:)

bob

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 01:28:16 PM »
Wait, That was some kind of parody or satire or something! This "modern" guy would make a great Mom, except for the gun thing.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2015, 02:15:17 PM »
Pish posh. The real man let's the woman sleep on the side of the bed closest to the bathroom. Everyone knows this.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 03:00:10 PM »
18. The modern man has thought seriously about buying a shoehorn.

The troglodyte male, on the other hand, already owns three shoe horns, knows how to use them, and therefore doesn't waste his time thinking about buying a basic implement that every man should have had since age ten.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2015, 03:26:35 PM »
What kind of crack was this moron smoking to come up with this crazy ass *expletive deleted*it?
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 04:16:50 PM »
Yeah.  We all dealt with this on the BookOFaces a while back.

Notable fisk on the subject:

http://monsterhunternation.com/2015/10/02/fisking-the-new-york-times-modern-man/

Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2015, 04:19:27 PM »
Pish posh. The real man let's the woman sleep on the side of the bed closest to the bathroom. Everyone knows this.

If that's what it takes, yeah.

And a real man tolerates it when she presses her cold feet against you for warmth.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2015, 04:42:31 PM »
Yeah.  We all dealt with this on the BookOFaces a while back.

http://monsterhunternation.com/2015/10/02/fisking-the-new-york-times-modern-man/

Read bits and pieces to dad.

In regards to Larry: "I bet he'd be a fun guy to hang out with."

Dad's second comment: "You're more macho than the modern man guy!"
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2015, 04:49:00 PM »
The troglodyte male, on the other hand, already owns three shoe horns, knows how to use them, and therefore doesn't waste his time thinking about buying a basic implement that every man should have had since age ten.

So...people actually use those?  ???

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2015, 08:59:45 PM »
Sounds like the NYT misspelled "metrosexual man" worthless, pansy ass piece of *expletive deleted*it as "modern man."

FTFY
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2015, 09:01:13 PM »

I've heard they make it easier to get your feet in to pansy ass piece of *expletive deleted*it shoes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2015, 09:12:50 AM »
Buying the wife shoes is more of an art form.

NYT can suck it.  Their idea of a modern man isn't either modern nor man.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »
Yeah.  We all dealt with this on the BookOFaces a while back.

Thanks. That was fun. My favorite bits:

3. The modern man is considerate. At the movie theater, he won’t munch down a mouthful of popcorn during a quiet moment. He waits for some ruckus.

Or you could just close your stupid face hole as you chew your food, you slack jawed idiot.

And by “ruckus” I’m guessing he wasn’t watching something like The Expendables, but rather he’s talking about the song and dance numbers on Mama Mia.

I’m betting this New York Times reporter smells of lilacs… and shame.

#25 is too full of win to duplicate here.

And because awesome:

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2015, 11:31:55 AM »
What's wrong with shoe horns? They prevent breaking down the back of expensive shoes. Allen Edmonds shoes come with shoe horns for a reason. Isn't a real guy frugal?

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2015, 11:38:51 AM »
Larry's fisking of the article is great.  Like almost everything that the International Lord of Hate says.  The man is spot on.

As to the shoes....I'll admit, I like a woman in high heel shoes.  I buy the wife what I like.  Granted, it intersects often with what she likes.
I do know my wife's clothing sizes as well.  I see nothing wrong with treating the wife to something nice as a surprise from time to time.  But it's because I'm a grown man and I can do what I want.  And pajama boy can eat a ****.  I'm stuffing popcorn in my piehole right as the lights go down and it's quiet as a mouse.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2015, 11:41:05 AM »
What's wrong with shoe horns? They prevent breaking down the back of expensive shoes. Allen Edmonds shoes come with shoe horns for a reason. Isn't a real guy frugal?

It is where Larry shows a little of his own inconsistency.  Only wearing danner work boots doesn't make you a man.  If you must wear nice shoes, or just like to, you take care of them.  A shoe horn keeps you from wrecking them.
JD

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2015, 12:12:22 PM »
What's so modern about this? There have been court eunuchs for millennia.

Sent from my iPhone. Freaking autocorrect.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2015, 02:18:10 PM »

Yes.
Mt Dew drinking prison rapist T-Bone uses it to gouge pajama boy's eyes out right before he skull *expletive deleted*s him.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2015, 02:23:33 PM »
It is where Larry shows a little of his own inconsistency.  Only wearing danner work boots doesn't make you a man.  If you must wear nice shoes, or just like to, you take care of them.  A shoe horn keeps you from wrecking them.

He did the same thing in the bit about clothing sizes for men.

OTOH, the article was addressing his sons, who are likely to be gigantic like him, so I cut him some slack.

The point of the article was right on, 100%. Real men do as they like without concern over what others think a "real man" should be, with the only absolutes being be yourself, be self sufficient and take care of those you love.

I've known fruity tuity guys who are real men and I've known gruff masculine guys who are real men and everything in between, because it's the core qualities that make a person real, not the superficial bullshit.