Author Topic: For those who play a musical instrument...  (Read 4513 times)

cosine

• Administrator
For those who play a musical instrument...
« on: December 13, 2006, 03:58:13 PM »
How did you chose your particular instrument(s)?

Me, I learned to play the piano because my mom wanted me to. She always wanted to learn to play the piano, but never got to. So, I had to do it for her. I'm glad I did, because I really like it now.

I learned to play the guitar because everyone else does. I also wanted a portable instrument that was good for accompaniment, because a youth group I belonged to didn't have anybody to accompany us when we sang at camps and meetings. 

Finally, I learned to play the clarinet just because. I had no real useful reason for wanting to learn to play the clarinet, except that I really like the way the instrument sounded, especially in Von Weber's clarinet concertos.

So, why do you play the instrument(s) you do? Is it something you were forced into by your parents? Did you learn a particular instrument to fit in the crowd, or because the crowd needed someone who played that particular instrument? Or did you choose to play your particular instrument just because you liked it, no purposeful reason why? Or was it something else that didn't mirror my experiences?
Andy

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Re: For those who play a musical instrument...
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2006, 05:13:53 PM »
Does "12 hours after eating White Castle" count as an "insturment"?  undecided Otherwise it was about two months of Suzuki method violin in kindergarten before they kicked me out because I couldn't master "Twinkle-Twinkle' on the one inch of bow I was allowed to use, as marked by the tape.  sad I never figured out how to read the sheet music made of little smiley faces either.

Why did I choose the violin? No freaking clue. I was five.

My best guess is that the violin looked like it had the most "gadgets", Violin, bow, the mysterious little cube of rosin, the case that held it all. Probably not a good criteria for picking an insturment. I can't even reliably play a tune on my little girl's 1/4 octave play-piano.

Mainly, I like guns, only one note, and any rhythm you want...

Speaking from experience, the guitar is probably better at getting the girls than White Castle, or Kindergarten Suzuki. Piano isn't bad either.

My BIL is an accomplished jazz pianist, he always had a girl 3-4 rungs above what you'd think was his league.

He "married up" too.

His last gf before he met the wife was about a 9.5 on "the scale". And I heard she wound up marrying a band director who looked a lot like the "Porkins" who blew up over the Death Star, except without a beard, or an X-Wing...

I promise not to duck.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2006, 05:34:43 PM »
Mainly, I like guns, only one note, and any rhythm you want...

Yeah, but without a "happy switch" it's tough to get those paradiddles (3-round bursts) or drum rolls (full auto)...  grin
Andy

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2006, 06:14:52 PM »
In grade school, I played the clarinet. I wanted to learn guitar, but my sister had played clarinet, so I became the bitter owner of a slightly used clarinet. I never learned to play a damn thing on it.
A few years back, I learned to play the harmonica, because it's portable, and on graveyard shift, I had a lot of free time.
Earlier this year, I started learning the digeridoo, because it helps with sleep apnea.
I'm learning hand drumming right now, because I own a belly dance studio, and classical and bass guitar, because I think they're cool.
Hi.

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2006, 06:18:38 PM »
I never learned to play a damn thing, and I wish I had.
D. R. ZINN

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2006, 07:03:18 PM »
I was the only kid I knew who wanted to take piano lessons, as well as the only one who never had lessons.

I spent $15 on a (sadly) used Harmony guitar when I was fifteen. I did reasonably well for a kid who never learned to read music, then drifted away from it to write and paint and shoot and stuff. I resumed playing a few years ago; between not knowing how to read music, however, and arthritis, I don't sound like much.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2006, 07:20:48 PM »
My main instrument was trombone. It was my Dad's, and I found it in the attic one day. Seemed like a neat thing, so I took it up and played it from 4th grade to junior year in college.

Along the way I also played, at various times, tuba, trumpet, and clarinet, filling in in the band where I needed to.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2006, 12:22:07 AM »
Mom started me on the piano when I was four or five, and I hated it (at the time).  Hated it all the way up to 5th grade; when we got to pick instruments to learn in middle school, I went with the trombone.  Hated that.  Went to cello in the sixth grade because my brother had done some amazing things with it, but had to leave it after the seventh because private schools in Georgia don't have music programs.

So, I started playing the guitar, also because of my brother.  I messed around with it a little at first, but after hearing Type O Negative's album October Rust, I was inspired to do better.  I became a guitar junkie foregoing video games, my computer, and watching TV so I could practice for 4-5 hours a day.  This continued incessantly for about five years, persisting through a move up the coast to Silver Spring, MD, going through a few bands up there, moving to Oklahoma City, going through a band or two here, and eventually died out when I started up college. 

By the end of it all, I had become proficient enough to fill any slot in a metal band, be it vocals, guitar, bass, drums, keyboards/piano, etc.  Outside of that, I picked up a few Irish instruments as well, including the psaltry, feadog, and dobhrain (not sure if any of their names are spelled right, though).  Other weird things include the digeridoo, autoharp, organ, lap steel, drum machine/sampler, turntables + mixer (though I'm horrible at it), harp, and a few other things I can't remember the names of.

These days, I'm trying to get back into guitar, as there aren't any decently good bands in OKC that I can think of.  I still play the piano about twice a week, and oddly enough it's the only instrument I can read music for.  I never do, though... it's more of a catharsis than anything.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2006, 01:45:54 AM »
For some reason a lot of sailors play guitar, I just got caught up in it.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

TaxPhd

• friend
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2006, 06:10:57 AM »
I played classical violin for 12 years when I was kid.  In my family, you had to play an instrument, and it had to be a "proper" instrument.  Proper instruments were piano, violin, viola, and cello.  Clarinet and oboe might have been allowed under some special exception.  Electric guitar and harmonica wouldn't cut it.

When I graduated from high school and moved out, I stopped playing the violin.  Oh, I'd pull it out every 5 or 6 years, tune it up, and play a song or two, and then put it away.

Fast forward 20 years.  I wanted to play music again, and in a mini rebellion against my mother (who forced the violin upon me), I decided I wanted to learn to play bluegrass on the banjo.  So, I bought a banjo and started taking lessons.  I was having so much fun with the bluegrass, I started adding some fiddle work and then bought a mandolin.  A week after that, i was playing fiddle and mando in a bluegrass band.

Beats the hell out of classical!!

Scott
"I was brought up to believe that Scotch whisky would need a tax preference to survive in competition with Kentucky bourbon."

Justice Hugo Black

Ezekiel

• friend
  • Intellectual Masturbationist
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 06:17:09 AM »
I played trombone through college -- jazz at 3:00 AM expains that undergraduate GPA.  (I switched from  being a music major, though, because the worlds worst pro is better than the world best amateur: and I was never going to be better than an amateur.)

I, also, play piano (reasonably well) and stumble around at bass guitar (rather poorly).  I am, also, a God of drunken karaoke.  Smiley

Odd, yet cool, things we learn about each other here...
Zeke

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2006, 07:14:41 AM »
I didn't think I came across as quite geeky enough, so I'm thinking of taking up HornSuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Bx9p4lwxOs

BRad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

matis

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2006, 07:15:14 AM »
Does triangle count?   grin

In kindergarten I was chosen to play triangle.

At 12 my mother bought me a $12.50 mandolin (which I still have) and sent me for lessons for a year or so.

I fiddled (?) around on a guitar for a few years -- never got very good at it.

And harmonica and piano I play by ear.

In summer camp the chief cook had me barred from the dining room except for meals.  I would spend hours there every day teaching myself to play the piano.

I loved it; drove him nuts.

I've been thinking of getting myself a keyboard, lately.  Hope it doesn't cause my GF to divorce me.   grin

matis
Si vis pacem; para bellum.

client32

• friend
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2006, 08:44:42 AM »
In junior high I played the trombone.  I was going to take band instead of art (as most kids did,) and we knew somebody that had a free trombone.
Admit nothing, deny everything, make counter-accusations - APS homepage 3/4/05 - 5/20/05

Never ask a man where he is from. If he is from Texas he will tell you. If he isn't there's no need to embarass him.

crt360

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2006, 12:25:33 PM »
Learned to play piano as a kid.  I think I took lessons for about seven years.  I hated it then, and hardly ever play any more but I'm glad I did it.
I played violin from about 4th grade through some time in high school.  Again, I hated it, and haven't played in at least fifteen years, but I'm glad I did it.
Sometime in middle school I picked up the guitar and taught myself how to play it reasonably well (not too hard after years of piano & violin).  I played in a few bands in high school and college.  I went a long time without playing much, but lately have started picking it up a few times a week.  The end.

P.S.  I like playing drums, too, but I've never lived anywhere I could play them long enough too get very good.  police
For entertainment purposes only.

Norton

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2006, 03:41:20 PM »
I was attention deficit as a young musician:

3rd grade - violin
4th - drums
5th - trombone
6th - euphonium, also started taking guitar lessons
7th - euphonium
8th - euphonium and trombone
9th - added tuba for marching band

majored on euphonium in college, played trombone in jazz band, tuba in quintet, clarinet, sang, handbells.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2006, 04:22:16 PM »
I played the trombone in Elementary and Middle School.  It was OK, but not really my first instrument of choice.  I'd rather have played a synthesizer but those were few and far between in those days.  I gave it up when the family moved west since even at that tender age I knew that while I was technically competent with the instrument, I did not have the "gift" for music.

I've pondered taking up an instrument again, maybe Bagpipes. <Big Evil Grin>
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2006, 08:07:47 PM »
I've pondered taking up an instrument again, maybe Bagpipes. <Big Evil Grin>

I've a friend who plays the bagpipes. Interesting instrument. Is there something about bagpipes which especially grabs the attention of your evilness?  grin 
Andy

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2006, 06:18:55 AM »
Mainly trumpet, here. Took it up with a friend in fifth grade, and just stuck with it. Stayed with it until my sophomore year in college, then it sort of went by the wayside. I've also messed around a bit with:

banjo
dulcimer
guitar
bodhran
bagpipes

and a few others.
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Strings

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2006, 03:41:40 PM »
WANTED to learn violin when I was a kid, but the school wouldn't let me (grades). Still kinda irritates me: dangling a carrot doesn't work if you don't know if you'll like the taste. Might still learn violin at some point...

Took up clarinet in 5th grade. Why? My brother had one. Then trumpet the following year, then quite music entirely for a couple years...

Decided to start guitar in high school after playing around on a friend's. Added bass for fun. Still play 'em...

After the Nav, picked up harp for SCA. Also picked up hand drumming (prefer a Thai Klong Ya)...

Lately, I've added mandolin and bouzouki to my list. And I'm looking for a decent price on a couple mandolas. Possibly the panpipes...

cosine

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2006, 05:12:51 PM »
All right, let's start a list of the instruments you want to play.

I'll start:

I'd like to someday play the mandolin, saxophone, bass, organ, drums, quena (kena), charango, and oboe.
Andy

Strings

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2006, 06:26:35 PM »
I'd still like to try and pick up violin, cittern, hurdy gurdy, bodhran...

I almost forgot: I DO have a set of bones to play with, but I really haven't been able to get them to work decently...

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2006, 05:42:34 AM »
Saw a guy, Earl Klugh, last night. Made me want to learn how to play the guitar some day.  rolleyes

grin
Avoid cliches like the plague!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2006, 01:28:34 PM »
I'd like to learn to play the drums better, and want to learn banjo, theremin, and how to sing (acceptably).

Is there something about bagpipes which especially grabs the attention of your evilness? grin
Remember, twelve men and a set of bagpipes makes a revolution.  grin grin
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2006, 08:11:51 AM »

Remember, twelve men and a set of bagpipes makes a revolution.

...or a overwhelming desire to choke the first dumb retard who tries to pick up those damn pipes.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB