Author Topic: Made in Viet Nam?  (Read 3631 times)

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
Made in Viet Nam?
« on: October 22, 2007, 06:52:51 PM »
Am I the only one who has problems with buying things made in Vietnam..?  Friend of mine (A Viet Nam vet like myself) came back from Las Vegas with two hats he was proud of having found, proudly proclaiming VIET NAM VET.  I looked at the label to discover "Made in Viet Nam".  He looked at me funny and put his on.  Mine is sitting on my dresser.

wooderson

• friend
Re: Made in Viet Nam?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2007, 07:25:00 PM »
No more and no less than purchasing items made with sweatshop labor in other parts of Asia.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 07:30:53 PM »
You buy things made in China, don't you? China is a lot more repressive than Vietnam is now!

Euclidean

• friend
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2007, 07:31:04 PM »
We buy things from our current and past enemies all the time (Oil from jihadists, electronics from Japan), often out of necessity.  Why should this be any different?

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2007, 07:42:47 PM »
Tear the tag off if it makes you feel better.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2007, 01:59:58 AM »
The Vietnamese know a lot of you guys are coming back to remember. They also know a marketable poduct when they see one. Maybe wearing the hat is just a small way of trying to forgive and forget? Forget is probably not the best word but I think you get my point. Maybe forgive and move on would be better.
Avoid cliches like the plague!

HankB

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2007, 05:12:28 AM »
Am I the only one who has problems with buying things made in Vietnam..? 
I've passed up buying certain shirts at Sears because of the "Made in Vietnam" label. And if there's an alternative, I'll generally avoid Chicom merchandise . . . but that's getting harder and harder all the time. For crying out loud, last time I looked for apple juice at the grocery store, it said "USA and China" on the label!!  angry

(Wonder how much Pb and Hg was added to the juice . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Creeping Incrementalism

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2007, 05:40:45 AM »
A Blackhawk BDU belt I just bought is made in Vietnam.  David Hackworth in his writings mentioned how he was surprised that there seemed to be no ill-will towards Americans when he visited the country in the 90s.  I don't have a problem with buying anything there.  It is not much different than any other corrupt 3rd world country.  Workers flock to sweatshops because it is better than harvesting rice.

The Vietnam-made "Vietnam Vet" hat is still ironic, though.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2007, 05:44:06 AM »
If you've never had a giant, steaming, fragrant bowl of Pho from a good Vietnamese noodle house, served with fresh cilantro to tear up and sprinkle on it, you have no idea what you're missing. :9

As to apple juice, a whole lot of apple juice comes from China, yes, because it's cheaper, and probably not all to safe. If you buy the cheapest, in that case, caveat emptor. More expensive brands use apples only from the US. I buy local cider.

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2007, 06:11:19 AM »
If we stopped buying stuff from every country or culture the US had ever been at war with we wouldn't be buying much.

Heck - for that matter Texans wouldn't be buying stuff made in NY and Mainers wouldn't buy stuff made in AL.

It could get rediculous mighty fast.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2007, 07:21:29 AM »
Didn't we have a little unpleasantness with Japan, Germany, and Italy once upon a time Huh?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 07:23:26 AM »
Didn't we have a little unpleasantness with Japan, Germany, and Italy once upon a time Huh?

Yup, and they were actual threats to our freedoms.

Chris

Grandpa Shooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2007, 09:00:42 AM »
Yes, I do try to avoid things made in countries with a history of repression.  The Viet Nam thing is just personal I guess.  I never wanted to go back there.  Hell, I never wanted to go in the first place.  Went there did that wouldn't do it again!

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2007, 09:27:28 AM »
History of repression? That would be a rather difficult feat to pull off - you've eliminated most of our allies in Yurup thanks to fascism or their colonial regimes (and I loved Belgian waffles so much...), the Russians, pretty much all of Asia (even the Mongolians were godless commies...). Does Jim Crow not count as 'repression'? Must I forbid myself from purchasing anything made south of the Mason-Dixon (not to pretend that the South was the only Axis of Evil on that particular account).

By my count, you're pretty much down to Canada - and that depends on how you feel about their treatment of the First Peoples...
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007, 09:58:52 AM »
It's only repression if they're GODLESS COMMIES!!!!! angry

Tongue

Chris

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2007, 12:42:02 PM »
But I want to repress the godless Commies.   sad
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2007, 01:08:44 PM »
My last pair of soccer cleats from Adidas came from Viet Nam. Never thought I'd see that.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2007, 01:14:46 PM »
Here's a different version of the question: why can I buy any number of goods from China or Vietnam (who did kill American soldiers) or spend years there on business (or as a tourist) - but I can't hop on a plane and take a nice cheap flight to Cuba without dodging the feds?

grampster

• friend
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2007, 03:54:43 PM »
Most woven products from India are produced by very young and small "untouchable" children who are enslaved.  Purchased from their families, they are worked 14 - 18 hours a day until they grow and their fingers are no longer small and nimble enough to do the intricate hand weaving.  When that happens they are turned out to the streets to fend as they can.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2007, 05:29:07 PM »
Back in the late '70's my cousin bought a Toyota and brought it over to show his dad (My Uncle).

Now my uncle had spent 4+ years as Marine in the Pacific during WWII.

After my cousin spent about 45 minutes extolling the virtures of his new purchase, my uncle just looked at him, said "Those people tried to kill me." and walked back in the house.

My cousing took the car back to the dealer the same day.

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2007, 05:36:19 PM »
But I want to repress the godless Commies.   sad
I want to repress everyone.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2007, 08:12:07 PM »
Am I the only one who has problems with buying things made in Vietnam..?  Friend of mine (A Viet Nam vet like myself) came back from Las Vegas with two hats he was proud of having found, proudly proclaiming VIET NAM VET.  I looked at the label to discover "Made in Viet Nam".  He looked at me funny and put his on.  Mine is sitting on my dresser.

I don't really have a problem with it, but I joined the military right after the end.
I might feel differently if I had been of draft age during the war and had to go. I don't begrudge any Vietnam Vet for feeling the way you do though.

I remember once during the 2000 election campaign IIRC, John McCain referring to his captors at the Hanoi Hilton as "Gooks". Some people started to make a big deal out of his "racist" comment. He earned the right to call them anything he wanted, just as you have earned the right to feel the way you do.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Gun Runner

• friend
  • Citizens United Negating Tyranny
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2007, 08:26:39 PM »

Yup, and they were actual threats to our freedoms.

Chris

Oh no you di'int!!   undecided
"I once took the high road and it took me straight to hell, and I stood there all by myself" - III

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2007, 04:18:49 AM »
Back in the late '70's my cousin bought a Toyota and brought it over to show his dad (My Uncle).

Now my uncle had spent 4+ years as Marine in the Pacific during WWII.

After my cousin spent about 45 minutes extolling the virtures of his new purchase, my uncle just looked at him, said "Those people tried to kill me." and walked back in the house.

My cousing took the car back to the dealer the same day.

Except now, my Honda was made in Ohio by American workers using mostly American and Canadian parts, while a friend's Ford was "hecho en Mexico." So who is more American now?

Honda of America and Toyota both have massive American factories that employ thousands of workers, while Ford and GM have offshored because it's cheaper.

Also, your uncle was a bit off, there. I doubt most of the people who worked in Toyota plants in Japan in the late 70's had anything to do with fighting a war almost fifty years previous. If you blame a new, peaceful and democratic generation for the sins of the old,  how does that do anything to ensure that it never happens again? Once an enemy, always an enemy even centuries later with no further transgressions, that's something they do in the Middle East, and we see where that got them.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2007, 12:10:39 PM »
I once heard someone complain about an American flag that was made in Japan.  They apparently wanted the flag-sewing jobs to stay in the U.S.  'Cause that's a high-paying, high-status job we all want, right?   undecided

But to me, nothing says victory like beating the enemy down until they mind their manners and sew our flags for us.   cheesy
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife