Author Topic: Let's be like Egypt! Internet Kill Switch  (Read 6701 times)

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
Let's be like Egypt! Internet Kill Switch
« on: January 31, 2011, 12:12:27 PM »
http://www.theage.com.au/technology/technology-news/as-egypt-goes-offline-us-gets-internet-kill-switch-bill-ready-20110131-1aah3.html
Of course, there's nothing to worry about:
Senator Susan Collins, a co-sponsor of the bill, said that unlike in Egypt, where the government was using its powers to quell dissent by shutting down the internet, it would not.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
Re: Let's be like Egypt! Internet Kill Switch
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
There is NO THREAT TO THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA that could be launched digitally, that merits an innernetz kill switch.  Nuke power stations? Unplug THEM from the grid... don't take the grid offline.  Financial system corruption?  Unplug THEM from the grid... if you take the whole internet grid down then you add a greater degree of chaos.

Anyone threatened by a digital attack on the grid should unplug from the grid and re-assess security before re-attaching.

There IS A THREAT TO THE GOVERNMENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA that merits such a switch, to those in the halls of power.  And that threat is the free and rapid exchange of speech and ideas, coupled with the power of the citizenry to rapidly mobilize via internet communication.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2011, 06:26:19 PM »
I honestly don't think a bill like this cou
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2011, 06:27:53 PM »

.. / -.-. / .-- .... .- - / ..- / -.. .. -.. / - .... . .-. .
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 06:40:24 PM »

Transmitting in morse code is no reason to butcher the English language like a lazy texting teen.   *shocks with cattleprod repeatedly*

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 07:26:08 PM »

....and that's the news from Cairo....over to you, fistful......

Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
You can't stop the signal...
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 10:50:02 PM »

I don't know morse code but I assume that says I see what you did there?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2011, 12:33:51 AM »
You can't stop the signal...
that was "you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement""you can't stop a movement"

idiotic depends adds. :laugh:

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2011, 04:14:07 AM »
- .... . .-. . .----. ...   -. ---   .-. . .- .-..   .--. --- .. -. -   .. -.   - .... .. ...   -- --- .-. ... .   -.-. --- -.. .   -- . .- -. -.. . .-. .. -. --.   .. -.   - .... .   .- --. .   --- ..-.   .- ..- - --- -.-. --- -. ...- . .-. ... .. --- -.   ... --- ..-. - .-- .- .-. . .-.-.-
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Owens

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2011, 07:23:53 AM »
Microbalrog,

Made me think. I need to get my 75M dipole tuned and get the 706 in the mobile.

--...  ...--
Life Member NRA, TSRA

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 07:35:06 AM »
Transmitting in morse code is no reason to butcher the English language like a lazy texting teen.   *shocks with cattleprod repeatedly*

Actually, shorthand like that has been a common practice when using Morse for over a hundred years.  It's done to save time, not to be cute or hip.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2011, 07:50:12 AM »
Is it possible that knocking out the internet would be the straw that broke the camels back of apathy and wake up enough people to make a difference?

Nah, probably not. =|
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »
Actually, shorthand like that has been a common practice when using Morse for over a hundred years.  It's done to save time, not to be cute or hip.

Yup.  Nothing new at all. 

Chris

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2011, 08:11:14 AM »
and now o'really(:laugh:) is claiming obama can declare marshal law, and shutdown the internet. without having a new bill passed, to allow him to shutdown the internet. =|

i am starting to smell something bad, heading this way.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2011, 01:45:37 PM »
I got shouted down a couple of years ago when I suggested that there already was a metaphorical "switch" to shut down the net in America except for the military and possibly banking services.  And probably the comm satellites have a back door switch, too.

"Impossible!" they cried.

Hmmmm....  at the time, I thought it rather impossible for it not to be.  After all, military thinkers always plan to go after the communications setup of the opposition first.

Boy, my 13WPM is down to <2 WPM.  Time to re-load my old DOS-based Code Practice Program.

And maybe my old DOS-based dial-up Bulletin Board software, to boot.  What was the name of it..? oh, yeah... Procomm.

Oh, oh... and I should look up "silversmiths" in the yellow pages, call 'em up and see if they own any fast horses.

And I'll betcha all the large-scale gangs already have emergency communications setups. Block-to-block, city-to-city, county-to-county, state-to-state, and probably country-to-country, too.

Maybe by fast Chevvies.

Terry, 230RN

Cf also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Numbers_station
« Last Edit: February 03, 2011, 02:26:50 PM by 230RN »
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2011, 08:02:35 PM »

:angel:
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2011, 11:08:12 PM »
Well I think that major difference between Egypt and here is the most of the communication company's were owned by the Egyptian gov't.
Not so much here in the US. How many thousands of company's would the government have to convince to actual "turn it off"?
How much money would those company's loose? I don't see many willing to do what the Gov't wants.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2011, 11:12:47 PM »
Not so much here in the US. How many thousands of company's would the government have to convince to actual "turn it off"?

Unfortunately, some of the larger companies (Google and some of telecomm companies such as AT&T for instance) are way too OK with "cooperating" with the .gov...

Now, the smaller companies are likely to be a bit more opposed to fed .gov orders...
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2011, 11:46:44 PM »
Unfortunately, some of the larger companies (Google and some of telecomm companies such as AT&T for instance) are way too OK with "cooperating" with the .gov...

Now, the smaller companies are likely to be a bit more opposed to fed .gov orders...
I also read some article that said something about an Italian based communications company operating in Egypt that was still running.
Also people with dedicated fiber seem to be unaffected. they seem to direct the disconnect towards the consumer type accounts.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2011, 01:06:16 AM »

That's fine; it doesn't take much to run a few USENET servers and mail servers.  That keeps one-to-one and one-to-many communication going.

I forget how many users we were able to handle with a Pentium 200 running Slackware as a testbed and internal USENET machine, but 75 actively using it at any given time wasn't a problem.  Even a tiny ISP would certainly have something vastly more powerful available the minute their commercial web hosting service is rendered useless by a shutdown.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2011, 11:32:32 AM »
Even a tiny ISP would certainly have something vastly more powerful available the minute their commercial web hosting service is rendered useless by a shutdown.

Umm... no.

Maybe an hour or two afterwards, if they have a plan already formulated.

ISP's run very lean, and they don't leave armageddontikiwikiwtfbbqlolshtf servers running in the corner.

Most of 'em won't even have a tech that has proposed a plan, let alone an administrator that has carried that proposal to a lawyer-type and obtained approval.  And they won't invest capital in such a thing.
--Lysander Spooner

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 07:36:33 PM »
Umm... no.

Maybe an hour or two afterwards, if they have a plan already formulated.

Oh, it'll be available right away.  It just may take them a while to figure out that it is.

ISP's run very lean, and they don't leave armageddontikiwikiwtfbbqlolshtf servers running in the corner.

That depends largely on the ISP.  We had lots of spare hardware laying around for testing and various projects.  Not top-of-the-line stuff, but on par with what some smaller ISPs were using in production.

Most of 'em won't even have a tech that has proposed a plan, let alone an administrator that has carried that proposal to a lawyer-type and obtained approval.  And they won't invest capital in such a thing.

A lot of the local ISPs around here are run by geeks with a little extra cash.  They don't run everything by lawyers, and a situation like that would be seen as a challenge. 

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 11:44:04 PM »
Oh, it'll be available right away.  It just may take them a while to figure out that it is.

That depends largely on the ISP.  We had lots of spare hardware laying around for testing and various projects.  Not top-of-the-line stuff, but on par with what some smaller ISPs were using in production.

A lot of the local ISPs around here are run by geeks with a little extra cash.  They don't run everything by lawyers, and a situation like that would be seen as a challenge. 

Dismantling a production system that is contractually bound to offer "five nines" (99.999% uptime, or about 50 minutes of downtime annually) or some similar connectivity requirement, even if the innernetz does go offline in a Stalinesque way, is going to result in IT geeks without jobs and lawyers with LOTS of paperwork to handle.

I suspect that most/all professional ISPs will sit out an internet blackout due to contractual litigation fears, more than fears of government repercussions.
--Lysander Spooner