Author Topic: Benford's Law.. WTH?  (Read 797 times)

Lanius

• Excubitor
Benford's Law.. WTH?
« on: June 22, 2011, 02:09:56 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford's_law

Benford's law, also called the first-digit law, states that in lists of numbers from many (but not all) real-life sources of data, the leading digit is distributed in a specific, non-uniform way. According to this law, the first digit is 1 about 30% of the time, and larger digits occur as the leading digit with lower and lower frequency, to the point where 9 as a first digit occurs less than 5% of the time. This distribution of first digits is the same as the widths of gridlines on the logarithmic scale.

Why the hell is it so?

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Benford's Law.. WTH?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 02:35:33 PM »
Not sure of the mechanism, but because we are in base ten (10), the 1 represents the beginning of all increases in magnitude. (1,10,100,1000,10000, etc...)

Thus, in any list that measures items is likely to have 1 more than anything else because if you spill over into the next magnitude, you increase the chances of 1 being the first digit by a significant amount. (From 1-99, the chances of 1 being the first digit is .11. From 1-199, the chances of 1 being the first digit is .555, from 1-1999, the chances of 1 being the first digit is .5555... etc...)

So, a 30% chance can make sense. (Increase 1-299, the chance of a 1 is .37, 1-399, the chance is .2775, all the way until we get back down to .111)

The pattern for the rest of the digits in that article bear this out, as well.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Lanius

• Excubitor
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 03:25:00 PM »
Huh.. that almost makes sense. Still, it's weird..

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 06:00:04 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford's_law

Benford's law, also called the first-digit law, states that in lists of numbers from many (but not all) real-life sources of data, the leading digit is distributed in a specific, non-uniform way. According to this law, the first digit is 1 about 30% of the time, and larger digits occur as the leading digit with lower and lower frequency, to the point where 9 as a first digit occurs less than 5% of the time. This distribution of first digits is the same as the widths of gridlines on the logarithmic scale.

Why the hell is it so?

Because most of the time folks look at you/read your exposition like you had some strange vegetable growing out of the top of your head if your list begins with
And second of all ....
or
"the three most common <fill in the blank> are:
2 -
3 -
4 -

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 06:16:19 PM »
I imagine that "1" happens a lot less than 30% of the time in hexadecimal based systems (but still more than 1/16th of the time), and more than 50% of the time in binary systems.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!