Author Topic: Anyone else like Heavy Metal music?  (Read 11874 times)

Chrissy

• MySpace page
Anyone else like Heavy Metal music?
« on: September 05, 2009, 10:49:12 PM »
I just got tickets for Metallica's show at Madison Square Garden and wanted to know if anyone has been to their concerts recently - mainly to find out what songs they've been doing live.  I'm hoping more of their old stuff!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Anyone else like Heavy Metal music?
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2009, 11:53:55 PM »
Metallica started out good, got crappy, and the most recent album is better. Amazing they're still touring at their age. Who did they get to replace Newsted on bass?

I grew up on metal: Black Sabbath, Metallica, Megadeth, moving to Tool, Deftones (well, Adrenaline anyway), and so on. I got out of the heavy scene for a long time, but have recently rediscovered some amazing new music. Russian Circles, Sleep, Electric Wizard, the Sword, Rhapsody, Iced Earth etc etc.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 11:58:10 PM »
Metallica...hmmmm.  Once upon a time, in a life long ago and far away I loved their tunes (even the cover of Diamond Head that made their first album).  Last time I saw those fellows was for the Black Album tour in '92.  Nowadays, my taste in metal has a more Teutonic bent to it.  

I do like the occasional old tune though.  The is just something...surreal... about listening to a bright Bluegrass rendition that sings about "Hybrid children watch(ing) the sea, pray(ing) for Father roaming free."

Do give us an after event report.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 12:26:45 AM »
HELL YES.

Metallica got Robert Trujillo, formerly from Suicidal Tendencies/Infections grooves to take up the bass.
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 12:28:19 AM »
Yes, provided I can understand what the frak the vocalist is signing. Screamy GRAWRARWRRR is not my cup of tea.
Look, tiny text!

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »
I was more into it in my teenage years.

Since then, I've moved more and more toward symphonic (often female fronted) metal.

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2009, 12:49:21 AM »
People rag on it, but I thought the S&M album was sweet..

hope the concert is awesome for ya!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2009, 01:33:24 AM »
I was more into it in my teenage years.

Since then, I've moved more and more toward symphonic (often female fronted) metal.

Nightwish! Any other bands you'd recommend like that Nick?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2009, 02:01:02 AM »
Nightwish! Any other bands you'd recommend like that Nick?

Honestly, I usually plug that tag into my Last.fm client program, and let 'er rip while I write code.  So, I'm really not much help.  :|

A few that I like:
Rhapsody of Fire
Deathstars
Trans-Siberian Orchestra (kinda fits the genre)
Blind Guardian (a few works...  I don't like most, though...)

For some odd reason, I find myself playing this a lot recently too:
For Tonight by Flowing Tears

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2009, 05:18:09 AM »
Apparently you are not the on;y species that likes heavy metal.  http://blogs.discovery.com/animal_news/2009/09/monkeys-like-metallica.html

It's just not my cup of tea.  Stone deaf in one eye and blind in both ears apparently does not lead to enjoying the genre.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2009, 06:50:12 AM »
I really have not listened to any new Metallica at all - I am old school and like albums like Master of Puppets, Justice for All, etc.  So nobody has been to their concert recently?  I'd love to know what type of songs they'll be playing.

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:34:52 AM »
I haven't seen them in years because I haven't liked anything since And Justice for All.  A coworker saw them in DC earlier this year and he said they played a lot more newer stuff than they usually do.  I don't know if this time around will be the same though.

As for listening to metal, old Metallica, Megadeth, and Iron Maiden all figure prominently in my iPod.  Along with some other stuff.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 09:04:25 AM »
I went to a Metallica concert in 2004, they played mostly old stuff before the Black album.

Not sure what they play at shows now, but I remember the pyrotechnics being a lot louder than the music. We were about 4 rows from the front of the stage.

-C
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2009, 07:00:22 PM »
I don't do concerts, but I am a bit of a metal fan (and all over rock and roll).

Every other guy my age is into either country or rap. I can't stand either.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Marnoot

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »
You can usually find a setlist for a concert tour to find out what a band will be playing. Generally people that went to earlier concerts in the same tour will post on various forums, sometimes the band will post the setlist on their own site.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 09:30:49 PM »
I like Isis. Panopticon is one of my favorite albums. Sometimes I'm in an Opeth mood.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2009, 11:11:29 AM »
I don't do concerts, but I am a bit of a metal fan (and all over rock and roll).

Every other guy my age is into either country or rap. I can't stand either.

Same here, unless it's Johnny Cash or Hank III.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2009, 11:40:39 AM »
Yep, metal head here as well. 

The latest Metallica album, Death Magnetic, is one of their better albums.  I usually listen to it weekly.  Cyanide and Unforgiven III are the best songs on that album.  I'm sure they'll play them at the concert along with the other top songs. 

Trijillo was a great addition to the band.  I watched the tv show that they taped when they added Trijillo and I can't remember the name of the damn thing.

Anyway, Other than Metallica, I am a big fan of Megadeth, Hatebreed and several other older bands like Priest and Maiden.  Sevendust and Korn are up there too.

Enjoy the concert.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #18 on: September 07, 2009, 11:46:29 AM »
Yep, metal head here as well. 

The latest Metallica album, Death Magnetic, is one of their better albums.  I usually listen to it weekly.  Cyanide and Unforgiven III are the best songs on that album.  I'm sure they'll play them at the concert along with the other top songs. 

Trijillo was a great addition to the band.  I watched the tv show that they taped when they added Trijillo and I can't remember the name of the damn thing.

Anyway, Other than Metallica, I am a big fan of Megadeth, Hatebreed and several other older bands like Priest and Maiden.  Sevendust and Korn are up there too.

Enjoy the concert.
Hatebreed is made of 150% pure Awesome and Rage. My #1 choice for when I'm feeling pissed off.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #19 on: September 07, 2009, 03:35:18 PM »
I'm going to Metallica next month. I've first listened the them in the early 80's, and I still like them. I have some personal differences with them, but I still like their music.

I've been a metal fan for a long time. Here's some of the bands I've listened to or seen since 1982.

Judas Priest, Axe, Saxon, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Motorhead, Megadeth, Motey Crue, Anthrax, Raven, Thin Lizzy, Whitesnake, Fastway, Michael Schenker Group, Scorpions, Accept, etc. Some I liked better than others for sure.

Metal lost it's popularity back in the late 80's/early 90's when MTV and radio stopped playing metal for other formats. That was disappointing, and metal went underground for a long time. Most major cities still had a metal bar or two.

Motorhead is still my favorite. I'm 44 and I still have a black Motorhead t-shirt.

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2009, 05:27:09 PM »
Motorhead is still my favorite. I'm 44 and I still have a black Motorhead t-shirt.
List of beings who will survive a full blown nuclear war:

Cockroaches.

Lemmy. If everything he's been drinking, shooting, snorting and smoking has been unable to kill him or even slow him down, such a trivial matter as a nuclear armageddon won't do much against him either.

thebaldguy

• friends
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2009, 05:33:06 PM »
List of beings who will survive a full blown nuclear war:

Cockroaches.

Lemmy. If everything he's been drinking, shooting, snorting and smoking has been unable to kill him or even slow him down, such a trivial matter as a nuclear armageddon won't do much against him either.

Question: Which came first? Lemmy or God?
Answer: This was a trick question. Lemmy is God.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 06:28:47 PM »
I'm a metal fan, but my taste has moved on from Metallica.

Check out Kamelot if you're into melodic metal.  They may not suit everyone's taste, but they're probably the most talented band on earth:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOVW9GezQ0k

For a more traditional, old-school metal sound, give Saint Deamon a chance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMxiJ47mds

Chrissy

• MySpace page
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 08:49:32 PM »
Glad to see there are still people into metal!! 

It's very hard to accept some of the music played on radio stations these days.  Some is good, but I find more of it not to my liking.  I usually find myself popping in my old metal CD's because I can't stand RAP!!!   

bald guy - my concert isn't until Nov., so let me know how the concert was since you'll be going before me.  James Hetfield is a great frontman - he's FUNNY!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2009, 09:21:13 PM »
It's very hard to accept some of the music played on radio stations these days.

Most of what's passed off as metal on the radio these days is just generic, crappy pop music with a guitar.

Music has largely become just another corporate-manufactured product, dumbed-down and generic sounding for mass appeal and maximum profits.

Unique, talented bands are out there, but you have to look for them.