Author Topic: Debating deer rifle  (Read 8084 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Debating deer rifle
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2016, 07:12:26 PM »
.243, .270, 30-30 have been slaying whitetails for a century.  Hard to go wrong with anything in those calibers pretty much.

I also like the idea of a bolt slug gun.  You can find them cheap often times on the used racks at gunshops.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2016, 07:40:43 PM »
.243, .270, 30-30 have been slaying whitetails for a century.  Hard to go wrong with anything in those calibers pretty much.

I also like the idea of a bolt slug gun.  You can find them cheap often times on the used racks at gunshops.

The fully rifled barrel ones aren't so cheap, if you find a Bolt action Savage or Browning under $300 with a fully rifled barrel (and not rusted to crap), buy it and I'll give you a $50 finders fee. I prefer 12 gauge, but I could settle for a 20 gauge.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2016, 07:48:46 PM »
I haven't seen any bear, or any trace of them, so I'm probably too extra-suburban to get into their range...for now, they are moving south/easterly so since I'm on the extreme outer edge of any development from DC, (it's basically continuous woods with random interspersed highways/ small fields heading NW from me till...well, the woods stop somewhere.

I guarantee they're out there.  We've had them here in Manassas. 

Chris

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2016, 07:55:21 PM »
So my ersatz "deer rifle" for this year was a bit heavy / overkill / what in the name of all that is holy?!
(Rem 700 in 308 in an AICS w/ my TBAC 338 can and a leupold LRT 6.5-20/50mm...it's my "medium range" gun, and used for deer because I just bought house and didn't want to buy dedicated deer rifle at the time...and it was the best choice out of the myriad of weapons I have, but GOD is it heavy)

So anyway. 
Looking at the following requirements:
1. Cartridge/barrel combo that yields reliable whitetail kills at (normally 50-100yds)
2. Mounts a reasonable scope with variable mag up to 10x, down to below 4x
3. I not have to reload for it unless I want to
4. Doesn't -have- to share a cartridge with things I already have, but preferably should be able to share a can.
5. Preferably suppressed, but that's way secondary.
6. As light as goddamn possible...

So far I'm going back and forth between:
1. 300BLK in a 10.5-12" upper with optional 30 cal can and 2-5-10x illuminated scope (I have an SBR lower to use with it, and this would mean supersonics for deer, subs for coyote at night)
2. A 16" 308 Rem 700 with 2.5-10x scope and optional smaller 30cal can
3. A T/c modular rifle
4. Marlin 1895SBL lever gun in 45-70, because I really really want one.
5. Use my FAL for deer hunting with a 4x trijicon I have lying around

Ideas?  #5 is basically free, #1 is otherwise the lowest cost option, #2 is kinda redundant I guess but not really,  #3 is probably the most modular/useful, and #4 is...well, adds to the collection :)

I do most of my deer killing at 25-100 yards, depending where I have my blinds. I hunt with both a 870 with fully rifled slug barrel and a inline .50 muzzle loader. I live in a state where rifles are not allowed for deer season. On my 870 I have a 2-5x33 shotgun scope, it a Cabelas's brand but it holds zero for the last 8 years. One my muzzleloader I have a 2-7x33 Burris Fullfield II with the ballistic drop. Either weapon I am comfortable clean killing deer out to 150 yards and I have taken deer at 200 yard with my shotgun. I saw a deer across a grass field eating, so I got into a prone position and DRT after a 15 seconds of figuring out the drop of the slug before pulling the trigger.

I do hunt other states with center fire rifles for big game, in my hunting stable I have .300 WM, .243 Win, .444 Marlin and soon a .338 WM. I primarily use my .300 WM, its an ultralight Win m-70 and kicks the snot out of you, but I have killed an antelope at 429 yards with it in Wyoming. 

I guess you need to ask yourself if you are going to go after other large game or just stick with deer. I'm a big fan of getting really good with one rifle and using that for most of your hunting. I like my 300 wm because I can reach out and touch things with it and will kill anything I want to hunt. I'm getting the .338 WM for a future African hunt and I may use it for Elk, feral hogs and if I ever get the money together a brown bear hunt in Alaska or Canada.

If I was going to get just a deer rifle, I would probably consider .243 Win, .270 Win or .30-06. All are proven deer killers, not bad on recoil and you can buy ammo everywhere for it. One of the reasons I use a .300 WM, I can get ammo for it anywhere I hunt out West. I'd love to have a .300 Rem Mag or a .300 Dakota, but ammo can be hard to find for them.

Uranus is a gas giant.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2016, 09:51:15 PM »
Brings up another option, get a shotgun scope and a rifled barrel for my 870...

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2016, 09:55:18 PM »

Invalid option. Too easy, too inexpensive, too convenient.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2016, 10:35:55 PM »

I have a 24" Hastings cantilever fully rifled barrel, I am most happy with it. Just remember sabot slugs run anywhere from $2-4 each, you can reload them for around a buck each if you have shot shell loader.

If you cast bullets, then you can get make the cheaper. I'm down to my last 25 rounds of slugs made from this mold: http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Lyman-12ga-Sabot-Slug-Mould/productinfo/1244112/

I had a friend making these up for about a dozen of us, we brought him powder, hulls, wads and primers. Always figured out to about .50 a round, he quit making them for us when one guy's barrel blew up shooting one his slugs. None of us think it was his fault, but fault with the barrel.

Uranus is a gas giant.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 12:05:57 AM »
Bears everywhere in the GW national forest. I don't hunt bears, but I see them when I am out. So if I wanted a gun for everything it would be something light that was .30 cal or 6.5.  i tend to hunt with what interests me, so that means I need to get back on my load work for 7.5 Swiss because carrying my .308 match gun gets heavy in a hurry. Next year it will probably be the debut of the world's cheapest muzzleloader and I will take one of my Garands or 1903 for a walk.

I am trying to take my drilling out too so that grouse will die but that is for dedicated trips, not toss a gun in the car and hunt a little on the way home from work. Not getting that thing jacked from my car. 
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #33 on: February 29, 2016, 05:19:02 AM »
50-100 yard shots and a 4x-10x (or wider) 'scope . . . hmmmm  ???

I wondered about that, too.

Brad

WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 29, 2016, 07:43:45 AM »
I guarantee they're out there.  We've had them here in Manassas. 

Chris

I stand corrected.  I wonder why I haven't seen anything.  No tracks, scat, nothing.  Only tracks/scat I've found are deer, coyote, rabbit, and fox (other than the usual small animal stuff).  Oh well.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:42 AM »
Perhaps beats don't *expletive deleted*it in your woods.

It's a question for the ages.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #36 on: February 29, 2016, 07:56:09 AM »
I stand corrected.  I wonder why I haven't seen anything.  No tracks, scat, nothing.  Only tracks/scat I've found are deer, coyote, rabbit, and fox (other than the usual small animal stuff).  Oh well.

Bears are illusive as all get out, I shot a bear last fall in a high bear population area in Northern MN, I sat for over a active bait pile for 25 hours through the course of 4 afternoons before I saw one.

Uranus is a gas giant.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 29, 2016, 09:49:53 AM »
This summer I'm going to do some field prep to ensure a good fall...clear a few brush areas, set up some natural blinds, and clear ground debris on small paths to blinds (and mark paths), as well as do some game camera surveys of the various animal trails that I've found.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #38 on: February 29, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
Prefer 308 vs 7-08 due to ammo compatibility (I have all the reloading equip for 308 already)

Lol. Being a reloader is reason enough to choose an oddball caliber. Swap the barrel out for a 6mmBR or 6.5mmBR  >:D
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 29, 2016, 11:28:11 AM »

This summer I'm going to do some field prep to ensure a good fall...clear a few brush areas, set up some natural blinds, and clear ground debris on small paths to blinds (and mark paths), as well as do some game camera surveys of the various animal trails that I've found.

I think it'll surprise you what's hanging around...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #40 on: February 29, 2016, 12:30:02 PM »
My deer rifle for the last 30 plus years has been a 600 Remington in 308 Win. With a 20" barrel & hollowing the stock as much as I could it came down to 5 lbs. A 3 power steel tube Weaver, leather sling & 4 rounds it tips the scale at just under 6 pounds. Handy in brush, capable of assured 200 yard kills on Upstate NY whitetails and a dream to carry all day. NOT something that was enjoyable from a bench. I never felt recoil on game shots.
 Eyesight what it is now I've gone to a 20 inch REM 788 w/ a 3 - 10 variable. A little heavier @ *pounds but I can make better use of the scope.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #41 on: February 29, 2016, 02:37:05 PM »

Brad

Wider meaning wider FOV, I.e. Lower mag

Cost isn't really a factor, intelligently adding to my collection is, so more than one of these options may occur.
There is one blind location where I can consistently see deer @ ~20-30yds, so I'm probably going to use my 870 as is for hunting that spot, and also looking at getting a new bow for that spot.

The thing is, I'd rather get a muzzleloader as that extended season is really useful...bow season, not so much.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 29, 2016, 04:09:54 PM »
My deer rifle for the last 30 plus years has been a 600 Remington in 308 Win. With a 20" barrel & hollowing the stock as much as I could it came down to 5 lbs. A 3 power steel tube Weaver, leather sling & 4 rounds it tips the scale at just under 6 pounds. Handy in brush, capable of assured 200 yard kills on Upstate NY whitetails and a dream to carry all day. NOT something that was enjoyable from a bench. I never felt recoil on game shots.
 Eyesight what it is now I've gone to a 20 inch REM 788 w/ a 3 - 10 variable. A little heavier @ *pounds but I can make better use of the scope.

I passed on a remington 788 at a gun shop once and regret it now.  Might have to put that on my list when I start buying guns again.
JD

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2016, 08:33:53 PM »
Inside of a 100 yds I'm really liking my .300BLK AR.  I bought one of Primary Arm's BDC 300BLK 1-6X scopes and it works really well. I only played with it for about 1000rds before I had to leave home for a while, but it's a lot of fun, controllable, decently hard hitting with pretty easy to find factory ammo.

You live on the east coast right?  Deer there are small, I would go with that.

If that doesn't go do it for you, .308 is kinda a classic deer round with ammo good ammo everywhere.  Your FAL would be fine, or an AR-10(ish) depending on how much you want a new gun.  I'm collecting parts for my .38 AR, so it's not shooting yet, but they are pretty dang popular.

I know you like suppressors though, so really if you don't already have one, a .300BLK is pretty versatile.

I with Dogmush. If it works, use it! I see Alaskans on "Yukon Men" using AR's  in 308 to hunt moose and wolf with an "assault rifle" and being totally successful so I've no doubt you could hunt deer with an "assault rifle".
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2016, 09:25:33 PM »
I say go for the FAL and dress like a Rhodesian.  =D
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2016, 09:47:50 AM »
No luck again this morning.  Saw a yearling run along the ridge, but that's it.
Gonna wait a few days and try again Friday or Saturday morning.  Maybe be out a little earlier (0530 instead of 0600) to make sure I'm settled and quiet before they start returning from the field...

Gonna keep an eye on the woods during the day to see what's going on...the past week I've seen a lot fewer for some reason...

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2016, 12:27:53 PM »
They're reading APS, too.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2016, 01:53:29 PM »
Winchester or Marlin lever action .30-30 or you're not a true American.

Shiloh Sharps 1874 Long Range Express in .45-120 with the 34" bull barrel.  Now that's a true red-blooded American man's rifle.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2016, 02:26:31 PM »
Shiloh Sharps 1874 Long Range Express in .45-120 with the 34" bull barrel.  Now that's a true red-blooded American man's rifle.

Only if it has a folding stock and a bayonet.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

birdman

• friend
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2016, 02:27:45 PM »
They're reading APS, too.

My hunting buddy joked "i think the deer have an app for this".