Author Topic: Debating deer rifle  (Read 8083 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: Debating deer rifle
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2016, 03:30:49 PM »
I say go for the FAL and dress like a Rhodesian.  =D
I thought would mean you had to go with a machete instead. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

brimic

• friends
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2016, 03:32:05 PM »
I thought would mean you had to go with a machete instead. 

Rhodesia was somewhat civilized in the past.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2016, 05:19:39 PM »
Bears everywhere in the GW national forest. I don't hunt bears, but I see them when I am out. So if I wanted a gun for everything it would be something light that was .30 cal or 6.5.  i tend to hunt with what interests me, so that means I need to get back on my load work for 7.5 Swiss because carrying my .308 match gun gets heavy in a hurry. Next year it will probably be the debut of the world's cheapest muzzleloader and I will take one of my Garands or 1903 for a walk.

I am trying to take my drilling out too so that grouse will die but that is for dedicated trips, not toss a gun in the car and hunt a little on the way home from work. Not getting that thing jacked from my car. 

Grouse?  Where in GW national forest?  Not trying to steal your hunting spot but that isn't all that far from where I'm planning on settling down.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2016, 06:09:56 PM »
Grouse?  Where in GW national forest?  Not trying to steal your hunting spot but that isn't all that far from where I'm planning on settling down.

Western Augusta/Highland. I scared one up last hunt I was walking out on, Shenandoah mountain ridgetop. Hear them drumming a lot, nearly hit two with my car. There is a habitat management area west of Churchville, VA on US 250.

Reason #8,764 to kill every coyote and feral cat you see.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2016, 08:13:45 PM »
Western Augusta/Highland. I scared one up last hunt I was walking out on, Shenandoah mountain ridgetop. Hear them drumming a lot, nearly hit two with my car. There is a habitat management area west of Churchville, VA on US 250.

Reason #8,764 to kill every coyote and feral cat you see.

That's about a 4 hour drive one way.  Now I'm going to have to figure out what a non resident upland bird license will cost me. 

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2016, 08:34:40 PM »
DM, where are you moving to?

I frequently hunt the GW National Forest just off Rt55 near WV in a little valley called Vance's Cove.

As for grouse, I don't hear them drumming like I used to.  Also don't jump them like I used to either. :(

Chris

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2016, 09:20:54 PM »
DM, where are you moving to?

I frequently hunt the GW National Forest just off Rt55 near WV in a little valley called Vance's Cove.

As for grouse, I don't hear them drumming like I used to.  Also don't jump them like I used to either. :(

Chris

NE Tennessee, hopefully near Bristol.  The Knoxville area is my second choice.  Are you not hearing or jumping them because it is the low spot in their population swings or is it loss of habitat, etc?

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2016, 09:24:57 PM »
low spot in population swing.  Probably due to 'yotes.

You're at the other end of the state. 

Chris

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2016, 09:32:00 PM »
low spot in population swing.  Probably due to 'yotes.

You're at the other end of the state. 

Chris

Yeah, but I love grouse hunting.  Leave on Friday, hunt all day Saturday, part of Sunday and then drive home.  Bring my fatbike and ride a little too, the perfect weekend.