Author Topic: Cool Boomstick...  (Read 1854 times)

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
Cool Boomstick...
« on: April 15, 2011, 02:29:33 AM »
At Knob Creek, we were camped next to the folks from Chiappa - they're making a sort of Mateba clone - It's a revolver with the barrel online with the lower portion of the cylinder... VERY interesting, felt very nice... Didn't have a chance to shoot one, but given what we saw, I'd consider one of their smaller .357s for carry duty.
Blog under construction

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
Re: Cool Boomstick...
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 02:54:46 PM »
I like the idea of a lower axis of recoil.  I figured one of the problems with the Springfield XD might be the high bore axis.  Never fired one, but it looks like it would flip up pretty bad.  Maybe it's just a visual/imaginary thing, though.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2011, 03:39:58 PM »
Been interested in this since I saw the first prototype. I really like the idea of it's hexagonal "cylinder" too so the exposed sides are always flat to improve it's carry profile just a tad.

The interior lockwork is a bit complex as compared to what most are used to seeing in a DA/SA revolver, but it reportedly works well.
I promise not to duck.

birdman

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 03:54:10 PM »
I like the idea of a lower axis of recoil.  I figured one of the problems with the Springfield XD might be the high bore axis.  Never fired one, but it looks like it would flip up pretty bad.  Maybe it's just a visual/imaginary thing, though.

My girlfriends XD compact isn't bad at all, even for her, YMMV

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »
The Chiappa company’s name is pronounced KEE-opp-a and it is attracting a lot of interest in handgun circles these days with the arrival of a startlingly different new production model revolver. The Rhino, chambered in .357 Magnum, is a radically innovative design by Emilio Ghisoni, previously known as manufacturer and designer of the Mateba Autorevolver

http://neveryetmelted.com/categories/mateba-autorevolver/
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2011, 06:09:41 PM »
I've been keeping an eye out for them, they look neat.  I have yet to find one in person though.

I also really would like to own a Mateba, but have yet to find one anywhere close to my discretionary spending limit.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 07:11:18 PM »
I've been keeping an eye out for them, they look neat.  I have yet to find one in person though.

I also really would like to own a Mateba, but have yet to find one anywhere close to my discretionary spending limit.

I saw one in a shop last week.  Not the snub, it looked like a 4" barrel.  "On consignment".  Unfortunately I couldn't attract anyone's attention, to show it too me.  Perhaps they have me pegged as a cheap*ss tire kicker.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 07:18:57 PM »
I like the idea of a lower axis of recoil.  I figured one of the problems with the Springfield XD might be the high bore axis.  Never fired one, but it looks like it would flip up pretty bad.  Maybe it's just a visual/imaginary thing, though.

My girlfriends XD compact isn't bad at all, even for her, YMMV

I have a XD Subcompact too....if anything, the recoil is less than full-size Glocks, SIG's, and even 1911's.....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
I have a XD Subcompact too....if anything, the recoil is less than full-size Glocks, SIG's, and even 1911's.....

The XD subcompacts aren't light.  26oz empty for the 9mm, vs. almost 20 oz for the equivalent Glock.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 10:48:58 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.