Author Topic: Those crafty Ebay Sellers!!  (Read 1254 times)

dogmush

• friend
Those crafty Ebay Sellers!!
« on: November 19, 2017, 06:00:17 PM »
So I'm slowly but surely setting up my machine shop in my garage, and I wanted a nice bright LED to hang over my lathe as a work light.  I tend towards LED's since they last a while and put out nice, bright, white light.  The LED light fixtures that Home Lowes-pot sells are simultaneously a little overpriced, and chinsy.

But I had a brain wave!  You can get LED lights for your truck on Ebay super cheap and I have a couple ATX power supplys lying around.  Perfect!  A real quick perusal got me this light bar for $23.

960watts  of tool illuminating POWER!!  People will be able to see my turning from space!

The light bar gets delivered, and it looks good, nice aluminium heatsink/housing, but the wires to feed it seem pretty small.  Like 14AWG small.  I'm no enginerd but it seems to me that 960W at 12VDC is like 80 Amps.  I was planning on stringing all the rails of a 1000W power supply together and running all the wires to big bus bars to power this thing.  What gives?

So I hooked up a couple meters:

Now the voltage drop tells me I'm losing a little bit through my alligator clip test setup, but I don't think there's any wiring on earth that's going to get this set up to 960W.  I think it'll be more like 60W.  I suspect the 144,000 lumen claim is a little optimistic as well, but I don't have any handy way to test that.

<---This is my shocked face that you can't trust the Chinese electronics off of Ebay to be what they're rated at, but I thought it'd be a little closer.

It is, however plenty of light for my application, and it will leave me with some extra DC power right there if I decide I want more stuff.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: Those crafty Ebay Sellers!!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 06:03:44 PM »
960 watt LEDs would either be super bright or a crap load of LEDs.  My ceiling mount LED light fixture pulls 40 watts and puts out plenty of light for my 12x14 room.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 06:14:12 PM »
We're they meaning watt equivalent of incandescent lighting and decided not to say that?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 06:29:52 PM »
We're they meaning watt equivalent of incandescent lighting and decided not to say that?

Possibly,  but I think it's more likely they just lied and figured no one would do the math and check the amperage draw.

If it was actually 960w, you'd have to run 4 gauge wire to power it up.

I kinda want to contact the seller and call him out, but honestly, since it's bright enough for my application, it's fine, and I wouldn't want the full Monty.

I was kinda going Tim Allen grunt grunt with this light, as a 4' fluorescent tube would give me plenty of light.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 07:25:20 PM »
First issue is right there in the ad. They compare the competition's 3w LED to their MEGA YUUUGE 7w LED!!!! I count 40 banks of two on the light bar. 80 LEDs at 7w each is 560 watts, max so their power claims are bogus right off the bat. They're probably not even 3w. I'd bet a good burger it's nothing but garden-variety 1w LED chips plus a healthy dose of lying through their teeth. Nothing new. Sunscribe to Big Clive's yootoobz channel. He's always tearing down some too-good-too-be-true piece of Chineseum-grade snookery.

Brad
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 03:51:39 PM by Brad Johnson »
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 01:02:12 PM »
I've noticed Chinese current-carrying standards seem to require a lot of cooling air circulation.

Either that, or their wire-gauge system is five units out of step with ours.
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 01:36:50 PM »
I always called those power ratings ILS is nstead of RMS. If Lightning Strikes.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 05:08:29 PM »
Good idea on finding some 12v ones online.  Bonus, you could run them off a battery in a pinch.

Years ago, I've heard you had to be careful about using florescent lights in a machine shop.  They lights with magnetic ballasts could cause the spindle to appear motionless or slowly rotating when it was running quite quickly - strobe light effect.

I'd be curious to hear more about your shop.  What kind of work are you doing?  What are your machines, tooling, work-holding, metrology, etc?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »

I'd be curious to hear more about your shop.  What kind of work are you doing?  What are your machines, tooling, work-holding, metrology, etc?

Mostly hobby/hobby gunsmithing at home.  I have a couple welders, I've been welding at work for years.  I'm trying to set up a home fab shop that is midway between crappy hobby junk, and $20k worth of production machines.

I have what's left of the Harbor Freight version of the Sieg X2 mini-mill.  I bought it thinking "oh, I'll have fun upgrading it".  Then took it apart for two years.  It's been given a bigger table, Air-shock and extended Z axis travel, bigger motor, Belt drive conversion, custom fabbed stiffened column with positive tram adjustments, custom fabbed pedistal to hold electronics, mach tach tachometer, custom spindle light, and am putting the finishing touches on the three-axis DRO.  And probably some other stuff.  I should have just bought a bigger mill.

I just bought and set up this Asian lathe.  That's what the light is for.  It seems pretty capable so far.  I've turned some test pieces and the magnet ring for the mill's tach.  I like it.  It's not as solid as the big Jet at work, but it runs very well in it's envelope.

After those two are set how I like them I'm aiming for a CNC engraver/router.  Then I can fab my gun projects, make supressors, engrave my own NFA stuff and the like.  I have an 80% G19 in a couple boxes that I want to do a bunch of slide milling on as my next project. I also got hooked on a YouTube channel called Clickspring, so eventually I really want to make a clock.  It looks really fun.

Tooling, I run carbide inserts on indexable tool holders in the lathe.  Your basic CNxx rhombus inserts.  I have different nose and relief angles for ferrous vs. non-ferrous.  I'd have to go look at them to get the letters. I have HSS parting blades, and a couple pieces of HSS that I picked up along the way I can grind if I need to, but I haven't had to yet.  On the mill HSS Ti-Ni endmills and collets.  I decided against endmill holders because the collets hold the end-mill up closer to the spindle and that helps both Z-axis working room and rigidity.  2 and 4 flute in the common sizes.  I have a dovetail cutter in a box somewhere for Novak front sight cuts, but I haven't gotten around to using it yet.

Workholding, I've got a three and four jaw chuck for the lathe.  A 4" machinists vise and one of those Asian t-nut universal hold down kits for the mill.  I want to get square and hex collet blocks.  I have a good set of R8 collets for the mill and am thinking about a 5c set for holding round work on both machines.  I'm keeping my eye out for a good price on a rotary table.  I need about a 6" one.

Metrology, I started where everyone does; with a Harbor Freight digital caliper.  I learned my lesson on some wasted hours of work, and 100 45ACP reloads that wouldn't chamber despite measuring OK. sigh.  So I've haunted pawnshops and e-bay sales and have a Mitutoyo digital caliper, and a couple Mitutoyo mics.  I have an old Starrett dial indicator, as well as the HF dial I bought first.  I am still rocking my Asian DTI  but it actually does OK for indicating runout and tram.  The DRO setup I'm installing is so I can ignore backlash on the mill.  With patience I get mics and dial indicators under $40.  Just be aware of fake "name brand" digital measuring stuff.  It is all over E-bay.

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:13:03 PM »
Good stuff!

Yea, it's a delicate compromise between not buying junk that won't really preform, and having to pay industrial prices for industrial goods.  It's easy to spend twice what you have in a machine on the accessories to make it actually useful.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 10:59:01 PM »
I also got hooked on a YouTube channel called Clickspring, so eventually I really want to make a clock.  It looks really fun.

I've been watching his stuff too. Super awesome and has made me really want to try out some stuff. If you contribute to his patreon you can get another series of videos that aren't up on youtube for everyone. :)
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 12:25:20 PM »
Follow up.  I got the truck light bar installed, and it's great.  The curved shape throws a nice wide pool of clean light, and I centered it on the ways, so there are no shadows on my work.  A lot brighter than the Lowes Depot shop lights, and cheaper with a little work.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 04:45:12 PM »
Looks good.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?