Author Topic: Moody's: Cut debt to gdp ratio or lose credit rating  (Read 10094 times)

agricola

• friend
Re: Moody's: Cut debt to gdp ratio or lose credit rating
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »
The best way to respond to this would be by making credit agencies (and audit companies) financially responsible for the firms / loans they sign off on.  It wouldnt have to be much - say between 1% and 10% of losses - but it would focus their minds a bit.
"Idiot!  A long life eating mush is best."
"Make peace, you fools"

Bigjake

• friend
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2011, 10:20:21 PM »
Too late.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/05/us-official-says-sp-reconsidering-us-credit-downgrade/

We're ****ed.  Welcome to white trash row of not being able to make the interest payments on that credit card we wantonly abused.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2011, 10:38:20 PM »
Unsurprising. Completely understandable, in fact.

Washington still doesn't take the debt seriously. (By this I am meaning both Democrats and non-Tea Party Republicans.)

Again, I hope we can hold off the collapse until a new President is given a chance to deal with the issue.

Too bad we don't have "no confidence" votes. It would be especially helpful now.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2011, 10:59:35 PM »
Too late.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/05/us-official-says-sp-reconsidering-us-credit-downgrade/

We're ****ed.  Welcome to white trash row of not being able to make the interest payments on that credit card we wantonly abused.

Just saw this too. Guesses on the stock market next week? I'm guessing at least -400 on Monday.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2011, 11:13:23 PM »
I'm glad I've dropped to under 10% in the market right now. And I'm glad I didn't drain the bank buying a truck yesterday.

With business already a little slow, I can't what for fall and winter.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

birdman

• friend
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 11:42:07 PM »
Just saw this too. Guesses on the stock market next week? I'm guessing at least -400 on Monday.

Institutionals will buy with that low of a drop, kicking up prices a little, just as the Dow rebounded today, so my bet is a net loss of 200-400 over the course of next week (low of 11200-11400) with some hectic 200 point swings, and maybe a dip below 11000 (automated buying won't sustain that drop, so a rebound to the 11200 will likely occur).  That's just my bet...I really do want to see what happens, but I think just due to volatility we are going to see net 50-100pt/wk loss trends as non-volatile seeking investors park money in specific undervalued growth stocks and non-equities.  Also, I bet you will see a commodities spike, depending what the fed says in response and what treasuries do.  If there is a move out of treasuries, and the fed hints of monetization, expect a spike in oil and gold.  If an investor is required to buy AAA, and they are contracted with s&p as their rating agency, they will have to move out of treasuries, which could also trigger de facto monetization if the fed tries to prop them up.

Good news?  If we see an interest rate spike, even 1-1.5% Obama's debt limit raise won't last him till nov2012 as interest payments will short him significantly.  Right now, our average interest rate is about 1.5-1.7%. Raising that by 1.5% would result in a 300-400B hit over the next 15 months...which could be good news for getting someone else in office.

I hope I'm wrong, and clueless.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 07:25:57 AM »
The Dow futures are down 251 to 11,151 as of 7:29 AM EDT Monday.  It's not going to be pretty today.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 07:30:14 AM by RocketMan »
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 10:04:47 AM »
I feel bad for people who have their retirement attached to the drop, but I'm going to use this as a buying opportunity on some of my historically stable stocks that, like a good swimmer, can just flow with the riptide until they break free.

I saw a good article on Fox News regarding all this. The author's thought process was that with the overall drop last week due to the faux spending cuts bill, the market had already "prepped" itself for this, and just like in 2009, we'll see a "panic drop" this week that will somewhat correct itself (but likely not recover from last week). At least that's the theory. :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2011, 10:14:32 AM »
Oh, and here's a good one:

"I believe this is without question the Tea Party downgrade," said Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass. "This is the Tea Party downgrade because a minority of people in the House of Representatives countered even the will of many Republicans in the United States Senate who were prepared to do a bigger deal."

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/08/07/blame-game-vitriol-demonstrates-sp-disgust/#ixzz1URkRzcbs

S&P specifically stated the downgrade was due to them not seeing enough spending reduction. Everyone who believes the Kerry line needs to immediately be rounded up and prepped for sterilization, because we can't have them breeding. Only an idiot wouldn't know that "bigger deal" in Kerry's world is tax increases.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2011, 11:48:15 AM »
Oh, and here's a good one:

S&P specifically stated the downgrade was due to them not seeing enough spending reduction. Everyone who believes the Kerry line needs to immediately be rounded up and prepped for sterilization, because we can't have them breeding. Only an idiot wouldn't know that "bigger deal" in Kerry's world is tax increases.

[OWH]Three generations of imbeciles are enough.[/OWH]

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton