Author Topic: How long does it take to cut down a shotgun  (Read 4409 times)

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
How long does it take to cut down a shotgun
« on: September 20, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/washington-gunman-hunted-victims-fbi-213651130.html;_ylt=A2KLOzKmvTtSnH8AiNTQtDMD

Comey's account of the rampage came after analysis of security camera footage taken inside the 197 building, providing the most detailed chronology so far of the massacre.

The FBI chief said that after driving into the naval installation in the heart of the US capital early Monday, Alexis had headed into building 197 and gone into a fourth floor restroom, carrying a bag.

He came out of the the restroom moments later holding a sawed-off Remington 870 shotgun and began blazing away at anyone who crossed his path, Comey said.

The shotgun was reported to have been cut down at both the barrel and stock ends.

Does anybody have any info on what he actually bought?  Was it a PGO or a shotgun-shotgun like Uncle Joe wants us to use?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
Re: How long does it take to cut down a shotgun
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2013, 09:39:17 AM »
for a quick and dirty hack job on the barrel end, maybe an hour w/ a hacksaw?  If that?  Depends on your stamina, etc.    Sawzall and a vice?  less than 5 minutes.

Buttstock?  3-5 minutes.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 10:04:13 AM »
Is there a picture or an expert account regarding the shotgun? Otherwise "sawed-off", as quoted in the article, to a major chunk of the population, means an 870 Home Defense gun bought at the Big 5.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2013, 10:11:25 AM »
I've chopped the barrels of a couple shotguns (remaining at legal length) and it only takes a minute or two. The stock would take a bit longer with a hacksaw.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2013, 01:40:59 PM »
Aren't 870s pretty small when you take off the barrels? Why not just do that?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 01:57:36 PM »
If you don't care about the looks, and you have power tools (esp. A chop saw), a couple of minutes.  Only thing you need to be careful about is not cutting the bolt that holds the stock on the receiver.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2013, 02:11:45 PM »
Better question, is: why discourage it at all in the first place?

Cutting the barrel down means the mag tube has to be shorter as well.

My HD shotgun already only has a 5-shot tube.  And I can't extend the tube due to the design (Stevens Ithaca clone), and even if the design allowed it, I could only get 1 more shell in there and still remain at 18" tube length.

Cut shotguns mean fewer rounds and less accuracy.  No choke to keep the buck spread tight.  No front sight to use when shooting slugs.  I'd sure hope for that guy to be at the mall shooting I was a victim of, rather than the guy with an 18-20" security shotgun with a 9 shot tube that is even with the tip of the barrel.

Unlike box magazine fed firearms, tube fed reloads are slow.  Yes, there are magic fancipants guys that can reload shotguns crazy-fast.  But they don't do mass shootings and more than Rob Leatham or Jerry Miculek do. 

Let's say he cut it to 12".  He should only be able to fit about 3 shells in there.

Yeah, it's a devastating weapon close in from sudden concealment against a surprised security guard.  I guess it's a good way to trade up to a high standard capacity pistol or rifle.  But for a shooting spree, it's quite limited.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2013, 03:20:15 PM »
AZ, you're trying to make it much more complicated than it actually is. Cutting the mag tube down would create many more problems, and even a moron like Alexis would recognize that.

A standard 870 express available at every gun shop nationwide will hold 4+1. Cutting the barrel just in front of the mag tube, and the stock at the base of the pistol grip will put the total length at 24", or half of the 48" it comes as new.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/PROTO-Standard-Tube-Cutter-3R304?Pid=search

Yup, got one of those in my toolbox at home for cutting some copper pipe....

Dunno how well it would do on a hardened steel barrel........  Even the relatively thing barrel of a shotgun.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

Dunno how well it would do on a hardened steel barrel........  Even the relatively thing barrel of a shotgun.

I used my dad's to chop up a heavy steel water pipe years ago. Wasn't too good for it but it cut it.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2013, 04:55:23 PM »
Gun barrels aren't hardened. At most a low alloy nickel or cro-moly. Quite soft. A tubing cutter has worked for me in the past ( all legal lengths). A pipe cutters frame is stronger & will be quicker but heavier.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
My portaband will do it quick

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 08:43:55 PM »
How long does it take to cut down a shotgun

Sounds like a question to ask Randy Weaver.   :O
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Stand_watie

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 09:48:14 PM »
Sounds like a question to ask Randy Weaver.   :O

Measure twice, cut once.
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

RoadKingLarry

• friends
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 01:37:12 AM »
A ribbed barrel would present some problems to that tool.

Cut off one of the arches in the ribbing, then run the tool around that section. The vents on my 870 Express's ribs are around 2" long, so you'd have plenty of space to work in.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 08:05:35 PM »

Done it, it works fine.
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.