Author Topic: TSA VIPR Teams Searching Cars/Trucks  (Read 12463 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
TSA VIPR Teams Searching Cars/Trucks
« on: June 29, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/Authorities-Conduct-Random-Inspections-at-Port-of/7beCpszvaEmkasNenRgu3w.cspx

TSA VIPR Teams searching cars and trucks entering and leaving the Port of Brownsville.  It was a random inspection and not related to any threat.

I wonder why this was just a blip on the news radar screen.  (We really need a sarcasm smiley.)  I guess the TSA has decided it is going to take the T in its name literally.  Any guess in what year random TSA check points will be set up on interstates?
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: TSA VIPR Teams Searching Cars/Trucks
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2011, 10:51:56 AM »
Is TSA a law enforcement agency?  I don't think they are, so how can they stop and search vehicles?
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2011, 10:52:56 AM »
Is TSA a law enforcement agency?  I don't think they are, so how can they stop and search vehicles?

Going to be one hell of a fight one of these days  :mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 11:00:51 AM »
Going to be one hell of a fight one of these days  :mad:

I can see it happening.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 11:16:57 AM »
http://www.krgv.com/news/local/story/Authorities-Conduct-Random-Inspections-at-Port-of/7beCpszvaEmkasNenRgu3w.cspx

TSA VIPR Teams searching cars and trucks entering and leaving the Port of Brownsville.  It was a random inspection and not related to any threat.

I wonder why this was just a blip on the news radar screen.  (We really need a sarcasm smiley.)  I guess the TSA has decided it is going to take the T in its name literally.  Any guess in what year random TSA check points will be set up on interstates?

They're already doing that: http://justpiper.com/2010/09/counter-terror-operation-operation-viper-stops-trucks-on-i-20-douglas-county-ga/
"It's good, though..."

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 11:20:01 AM »
You know it isn't so much the traffic going into our ports that bother me.  It is the untold hundreds if not thousands of containers that arrive that don't get searched that bother me.  I am still surprised to this day we haven't had another attack since 9/11.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 11:46:12 AM »
You know it isn't so much the traffic going into our ports that bother me.  It is the untold hundreds if not thousands of containers that arrive that don't get searched that bother me.  I am still surprised to this day we haven't had another attack since 9/11.

FTW!!!
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 11:47:04 AM »
You know it isn't so much the traffic going into our ports that bother me.  It is the untold hundreds if not thousands of containers that arrive that don't get searched that bother me.  I am still surprised to this day we haven't had another attack since 9/11.

Agreed, and one of the reasons I hate all the crap at airports when there are so many bigger and easier targets. Laden container ships are extremely difficult to search, and an explosion at the right time as a ship enters port will leave the port useless for a long enough time to have a severe economic impact on the US. Especially Los Angeles or whatever the port is in New Jersey (the two busiest port in the US I believe).

I was at a disaster prep drill at LA Harbor I think around six or so years ago where this type of scenario was simulated with two near simultaneous explosions - one on a container ship that left the port blocked, and the other on a tanker already in port that created a large concussion perimeter and created a ginormous oil spill. If I recall right, economic damage was in the hundreds of billions.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »

That's why I think they blew their wad with 9/11.  There are too many holes for them to exploit if they had any decent amount of resources.  They threw a hail mary pass and connected, I wouldn't call that their normal level of excellence.

Chris

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 12:31:31 PM »

Even if they are, there's that whole "get a warrant" thing.  Or, doesn't that apply anymore?
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 12:32:14 PM »
That's why I think they blew their wad with 9/11.  There are too many holes for them to exploit if they had any decent amount of resources.  They threw a hail mary pass and connected, I wouldn't call that their normal level of excellence.

Chris

But at the sametime a "small" attack at the right time and place would do a lot of damage to the economy and/or overall moral of the country.  In my travels I look at things like that I and think to myself if I wanted to make a show would this be something I want to attack and if so how.  Part of it goes along with my miltary job and training to look for stuff like that but at the sametime the terrorists aren't dumb either.  I could go list a dozen or so things right off the top of my head to attack to make a point.  Alot of people on here could more than likely do the same.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2011, 12:33:31 PM »
Even if they are, there's that whole "get a warrant" thing.  Or, doesn't that apply anymore?

There usually are policies that state that by entering you are subject to search, just as going on a military base.  You give consent to search by entering.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2011, 12:36:53 PM »

Chris

I think they blew their wad in the sense of they spent lots of time and money to prepare for that attack, but I don't think it was a lucky shot. They did what they meant to do.

NY and DC were targeted because those two cities are well known by everyone on Earth that has a TV or radio. Those two cities are high visibility targets and using airplanes as the attack point only increased the damage, drama, and attention of the attack. More damage or more widespread damage could have been done with conventional bombs, but the images of the aftermath would not have the same effect.

Fly320s

• friend
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2011, 12:39:07 PM »
There usually are policies that state that by entering you are subject to search, just as going on a military base.  You give consent to search by entering.

That is true when entering the sterile area of an airport, or a ship port, or crossing a border, but it does not apply when driving down a highway. I'm not sure how it applies when entering public transportation such as a subway, bus, or train.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2011, 01:11:51 PM »
Remember: driving is a privilege, not a right!

By choosing to operate a motor vehicle you consented to a myriad of arcane rules.

You didn't want to? Well, maybe you should have... I don't know.... flown a plane.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2011, 01:38:21 PM »
Are you sure it isn't living that isn't a privilege in the kind of society we're forging?
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2011, 02:29:34 PM »
That is true when entering the sterile area of an airport, or a ship port, or crossing a border, but it does not apply when driving down a highway. I'm not sure how it applies when entering public transportation such as a subway, bus, or train.
  i think on a highway it might be a grey area   not so a port or terminal
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2011, 03:52:50 PM »

So is that also to be the case with federally funded highways  ???

:mad:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Chuck Dye

• friend
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2011, 04:17:40 PM »
I have had a TWIC for several years, though I have yet to use it, and have been subject to search on entry to ports but have yet to be searched.  As with airports, it is just so much security theater.  Given the ease with which trucks are stolen and driven, it is surprising that big rigs haven't been used by nut cases more than they have.  (The attack on the CA capitol draws hoots from truckers:  "You went after the government with powdered milk?" :rolleyes:)  You will get more sober responses if you bring up Tom Clancy's move of stopping and detonating a tanker full of gasoline on I-5 where it passes under buildings in Seattle.  
Gee, I'd love to see your data!

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2011, 04:19:55 PM »
So is that also to be the case with federally funded highways  ???

:mad:

Yet more reason for States to build their own fracking roads.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2011, 04:23:49 PM »
AQ doesn't really think like that. They want big flashy symbolism that'll whip up the folks at home. "Look, these huge buildings are falling down" not "A ship is blocking traffic, and I promise that's a really big deal to the infidel. It's hurting their gdp!"

People assuming tribal religious fanatics think in the same cold economic issues a lot of the people here are talking about is the same mistake in reverse made by all the people who thought tribal primitives really want democracy.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2011, 04:27:50 PM »
Imagine what a 3-5 man element armed with small arms could do at a sporting event, convention or even a going away or welcome home ceremony for military unit?

nigmalg

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2011, 05:46:55 PM »

I can easily see that logic extending beyond Ports and into public transportation. Hell, as others have already put it, public "highways". I believe there were stories posted here about VIPR doing searches at bus terminals.

• By driving on this roadway you consent to searches
  • By walking on this sidewalk you consent to searches

What logical difference exists between a bus or train and a personal vehicle? What makes one more "reasonable" and outside the warrant requirement?

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/funny/plea-deal-tsa-screener-assault-390182

Then there is this from the TSA.  During training for the full body scanner dude was shown to have a small penis and got tired of being teased for it.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 06:09:09 PM »
Remember: driving is a privilege, not a right!

By choosing to operate a motor vehicle you consented to a myriad of arcane rules.

You didn't want to? Well, maybe you should have... I don't know.... flown a plane.

Or taken a train?  :P

Don't worry, you can always retain your 4th amendment rights by walking to see your friends/family in that town 30 miles over.