Author Topic: TSA VIPR Teams Searching Cars/Trucks  (Read 12465 times)

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
Re: TSA VIPR Teams Searching Cars/Trucks
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2011, 08:23:39 PM »
Don't worry, you can always retain your 4th amendment rights by walking to see your friends/family in that town 30 miles over.

As long as you don't walk on public roads, right of ways, or sidewalks.  ;/

What logical difference exists between a bus or train and a personal vehicle? What makes one more "reasonable" and outside the warrant requirement?

Personal property springs to mind.
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »
You will get more sober responses if you bring up Tom Clancy's move of stopping and detonating a tanker full of gasoline on I-5 where it passes under buildings in Seattle.

Ship full of anything nasty in the Houston Ship Channel could be even worse.  The channel runs pretty much right into downtown, and the prevailing winds would carry an airborne contaminant right to an insane number of people.

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2011, 09:44:29 PM »
Don't worry, you can always retain your 4th amendment rights by walking to see your friends/family in that town 30 miles over.

I'm sure somewhere between those two towns you would get stopped for looking suspicious. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2011, 11:22:19 AM »
Imagine what a 3-5 man element armed with small arms could do at a sporting event, convention or even a going away or welcome home ceremony for military unit?

Mall, or the security checkpoint at an airport. 
All one has to do is turn to the types of attacks they've pulled off in the past in isreal.  A shootout at a mall would be disastorous to our economy.

Like Chris said, if they could, they would. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

nigmalg

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2011, 03:59:31 PM »
Personal property springs to mind.

You would have to make the argument that your book bag is subject to search anywhere until and unless you enter your own vehicle. It's saying that the method for your transportation dictates the reasonableness of a search. Nothing about your book bag changed having moved from a bus to your vehicle.

But I admit this is more rhetorical than a inquisitive. "Reasonableness" of TSA checkpoints at airports has been justified because of the method of transportation. My point is there is NO legal threshold to cross when moving the searches into ANY form of public transportation or private transportation on public roadways.

Expect suspicion-less sidewalk, car, bus, and train searches in your immediate future.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2011, 07:23:38 PM »
Expect suspicion-less sidewalk, car, bus, and train searches in your immediate future.

I expect that will be an interesting day.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2011, 07:41:34 PM »
I expect that will be an interesting day.

Yes, but the ever encroaching bubble of precedent will be close behind.  First, the planes were screened, then the ships, then the trains, then the buses, then commercial trucking, then private vehicles on public roads...
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »
And then next they'll be driving x-ray vans around and peeking thru the walls of your house (not to mention the radiation) searching for drugs, guns, and kinky sex acts not approved by DHS nor the Commissioner of Baseball.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 08:40:31 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2011, 09:00:10 PM »
And then next they'll be driving x-ray vans around and peeking thru the walls of your house (not to mention the radiation) searching for drugs, guns, and kinky sex acts not approved by DHS nor the Commissioner of Baseball.

I imagine lead sheeting prices will go through the roof then....  ;)
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2011, 09:54:47 PM »
I imagine lead sheeting prices will go through the roof then....  ;)

Probable cause.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2011, 01:33:36 AM »
Some of the better foil backed insulation in the walls should handle the X-rays pretty well.
Or if they really start doing that foil cut outs in various interesting shapes to give them something to wonder about.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2011, 03:12:57 AM »
If I ever win the lottery....1-2 yard thick concrete walls.  With rebar reinforcement.  I even get to use the excuse that it's environmentally friendly, since a wall that thick is a pretty good insulator.

I'd like to see them get a return through that.  >:D
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

erictank

• friends
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2011, 05:27:05 AM »
Probable cause.

Lack of which hasn't stopped 'em yet, the bastards. :mad:

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2011, 10:03:54 AM »
If I ever win the lottery....1-2 yard thick concrete walls.  With rebar reinforcement.  I even get to use the excuse that it's environmentally friendly, since a wall that thick is a pretty good insulator.

I'd like to see them get a return through that.  >:D

Build a traditional underground house. I can share plans.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2011, 10:25:49 AM »
Yes, but the ever encroaching bubble of precedent will be close behind.  First, the planes were screened, then the ships, then the trains, then the buses, then commercial trucking, then private vehicles on public roads...

Then no longer at that awkward stage  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin