Author Topic: Law Bans Cash for Second Hand Transactions  (Read 10323 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Law Bans Cash for Second Hand Transactions
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2011, 11:56:51 AM »
On the other hand, if this is upheld, then it's quite blow for fiat currency. The Legal Tender doctrine is the only thing that keeps Gresham's law in effect.

It would only be a blow to the fiat currency if it were replaced with gold, silver, and barter transactions. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

zahc

• friend
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2011, 12:46:43 PM »
Right. But don't you understand, if it's upheld it's a precedent. Then some other state can create its own better currency.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2011, 07:37:31 PM »
Looking at the text of it... (emphasis mine)
http://www.mygov365.com/legislation/view/id/4db66f7549e51bd334be0300/tab/versions/
Anyone, other than a nonprofit entity,who buys, sells, trades in, or otherwise acquires or disposes of junk or used or secondhand property more frequently than once per month from any other person, other than a nonprofit entity, shall be deemed as being engaged in the business of a secondhand dealer.

Horrible wording, since it sounds like even if you just buy stuff for personal use from garage sales more than once a month, you're "engaged in the business of a secondhand dealer."

A secondhand dealer shall not enter into any cash transactions in payment for the purchase of junk or used or secondhand property. Payment shall be made in the form of check, electronic transfers, or money order issued to the seller of the junk or used or secondhand property andmade payable to the name and address of the seller. All payments made by check, electronic transfers, or money order shall be reported separately in the daily reports required by R.S. 37:1866.

So, now that we've defined little old ladies who hit the garage sales every weekend as secondhand dealers, we're going to require them to keep ledgers and file daily reports.

A.(1) Every secondhand dealer shall obtain a signed statement from the seller that the junk or used or secondhand property has been paid for or is owned by the seller, and a failure of the dealer to exact a statement from the seller shall be prima facie evidence of the fraudulent intent and guilty knowledge on the part of the dealer within the meaning of this Part, sufficient to warrant a conviction.

Gee, that's going to be so easy to handle at a garage sale.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2011, 08:31:52 PM »
Affects face to face gun transactions. Also affects interstate commerce, if a guy growing pot in his backyard for his own use affects IC, then this surely does.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2011, 01:59:49 PM »
I think this is a good idea run a muck.
Years ago here in NJ they passed some law that you could not take RR track to the scrap yard. Because people were steeling it.
I tried to get rid of some once and had a hell of a time. Company I used to work for was on a very old property that had tracks. Most were buried, we were clearing more of the property and dug up a bunch. So I cut it in 10' lengths a took it to the scrap yard. They refused to take it. Tried 2 more, same results. Took it to a yard in PA. They questioned me up and down but once they guy came out of the scale house and looked at it they took it. 150 year old rail looks quite different then the new stuff.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2011, 02:13:36 PM »
http://www.mygov365.com/legislation/view/id/4db66f7549e51bd334be0300/tab/versions/
Horrible wording, since it sounds like even if you just buy stuff for personal use from garage sales more than once a month, you're "engaged in the business of a secondhand dealer."

You know, anything that limits my wife to one garage sale per month is fine with me. Looks like a lot of thrift stores would skate on this, though, as they are not for profit.

But on the other hand, when you outlaw garage sales, only outlaws will have garage sales.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

wmenorr67

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2011, 02:40:31 PM »
But are garage sales actually for profit.  How many people sell something at a garage sale for more than they bought it for.
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2011, 02:50:54 PM »
Years ago here in NJ they passed some law that you could not take RR track to the scrap yard. Because people were steeling it.

Ha!  Good pun  =D

I'm glad that you got things ironed out with the scrap dealer.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2011, 03:01:36 PM »
You know, if the police had really wanted to investigate that sale of track they could have railroaded you into admitting guilt.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 06:44:02 PM »
You know, if the police had really wanted to investigate that sale of track they could have railroaded you into admitting guilt.

They still might find something that ties him to the crime and track him down.

Has there been a spike in this sort of crime lately?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 01:32:36 AM »
Maybe all these puns are a signal that you guys should switch to decaf. You have to derail the thread with your little jokes, because you can't even conduct yourselves in an adult manner. Give me a brake man.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 06:07:24 AM »
I nominate this thread for the APS FAQ on how to conduct a proper thread veer. 
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2011, 06:38:11 AM »
Can I still pay cash for an hour hand?

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2011, 10:36:40 AM »
Ok, I'll try to get back on the right track  :angel:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2011, 10:39:03 AM »
Can I still pay cash for an hour hand?

There's a "Second Hand Store" in the nearest little town to us.  But what I could really use is a third hand.  ;)