Author Topic: Orange NJ implements the latest pre-crime technique - Updated  (Read 2320 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Orange NJ implements the latest pre-crime technique - Updated
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:58:35 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aebHqLvYjM8

If a police officer monitoring one of the many HD CCTV cameras think you are going to commit a crime, they will bath you in a red light.  Watch for more.

ETA: Link, as I am stooopid.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 03:40:51 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Re: Orange NJ implements the latest pre-crime technique
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:29:31 PM »
Looks like I've got an idea for a new game!

Also, gives a new meaning to "Red Light District", huh?
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
Re: Orange NJ implements the latest pre-crime technique - Updated
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 04:21:45 PM »
It would be much more cool and instructive to suddenly see a red laser dot on your chest.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 04:42:56 PM »
It will probably see use following some officer's wayward wife. Just as she's about to go into BF's building, red light.  :laugh:

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 06:11:33 PM »
It would be much more cool and instructive to suddenly see a red laser dot on your chest.

You see the man in the spaceship with the big gun?  :lol:
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Blakenzy

• friend
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 07:13:23 PM »
In the last part they shine a light on a cartoon pedophile approaching a cartoon kid on a slide.  :lol: LOL

I don't know what to think of this. Concerning surveillance of civilians it is just the cherry on the cake. They are already spying on you whether you know it or not. I can see it easily abused to harass individuals. If every time you walk down the street you get illuminated it would certainly make anyone begin to feel stressed out. On the other hand it is useful to know when the people behind the cameras have taken an interest in you. If they take to shining the light on to traffic then it might be a safety issue. My best guess is that 90% of the time it will be used to disturb people who are attempting public urination or jay walking. If the camera operators are held accountable for misuse (have to be able to justify every instance they turn it on) then it would be better I suppose, but I don't see that happening. What parameters will be used to decide whether someone gets shined or not ?
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives. A popular government without popular information or the means of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or perhaps both"

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 07:17:42 PM »
If I lived in Jersey, I would be selling *expletive deleted*ck me, no *expletive deleted*ck you! shirts.

Red Emergency use only!
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 01:05:34 AM »
If I lived in Jersey, I would be selling *expletive deleted* me, no *expletive deleted* you! shirts.

Red Emergency use only!

Use color patterns to make the shirt illegible except when illuminated with a red light.

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 07:54:51 AM »
Maybe they can combine this with that new radar weapon that simulates burning - that way they can zap you if the light fails to result in total compliance.

Put enough of them out there and you could have some pretty safe streets, comrades.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

HankB

• friend
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 08:29:23 AM »
Use color patterns to make the shirt illegible except when illuminated with a red light.
Assuming the lights are close to the cameras, all it would take is a wavelength-dependent retroreflector . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 09:13:56 AM »
"There's a light in your eye and then a guy says, 'Outta the car, long-hair!'"
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife