Author Topic: Debt collection companies are now partnering with local DAs  (Read 1124 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Debt collection companies are now partnering with local DAs
« on: September 17, 2012, 09:37:16 AM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/16/business/in-prosecutors-debt-collectors-find-a-partner.html?_r=1

Interesting new tactic in collecting debt. DA's are trying to make up for budget shortfalls are allowing debt collectors to use the DA's letterhead in turn for a cut of the fee.

They bear the seal and signature of the local district attorney’s office. But there is a catch: the letters are from debt-collection companies, which the prosecutors allow to use their letterhead. In return, the companies try to collect not only the unpaid check, but also high fees from debtors for a class on budgeting and financial responsibility, some of which goes back to the district attorneys’ offices.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Debt collection companies are now partnering with local DAs
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 09:53:35 AM »
collecting on bad checks is not the same as collecting debt.  what amount on a bad check can i write you and have you say its ok?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 10:14:04 AM »
Chasing hot checks is another deal altogether and is actually a job of the local DA's office looks like the may be contracting it out, lots of room for abuse though.

I wonder if that's kosher under the FDCPA for regular debts?
About 20 years ago we got a little behind and had a rough time for a while and got to deal with debt collectors. Because of the experience I had I consider them to be mostly human filth. I even had one jerk threaten to come to my house and rough me up, I reminded him he had my address and he was welcome to try. A lawyer friend of mine told me if I could have recorded that threat I could have had a field day.

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 01:21:12 PM »
Chasing hot checks is another deal altogether and is actually a job of the local DA's office looks like the may be contracting it out, lots of room for abuse though.

I thought going after paper hangers was the domain of the FBI or SS depending on what sort of monetary fraud was involved.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 03:23:24 PM »

Yep, slippery slope and such.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 03:26:39 PM »
going after folks is a real pain,  very difficult
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I