Author Topic: Stupid stupid stupid movie...  (Read 2607 times)

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: Stupid stupid stupid movie...
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2007, 03:40:39 AM »
Alien and Aliens were great movies, and so was Predator. These movies had really cool alien enemies in them. So it was strange to see someone mess up so badly and make a crappy film with such awesome baddies. One thing that didn't help was that AVP was what, a PG-13? The new AVP2 (coming sometime soon), is going to have an older age rating, I believe. Also, I have heard that we will see a Predalien...  grin

They took Transformers, a property about giant fighting robots with a huge nostalgia audience among gen X, and made it into an episode of "Friends" with some robot cameos.

They made "Sunshine", which was an awesome premise, could have been the first hard SF from Hollywood in decades, and decided to add in a "crazy killer on board" trite subplot and existential crap.

No amount of incompetent directing from Hollywood surprises me.

tyme

• expat
  • friend
  • Did you know that dolphins are just gay sharks?
    • TFL Library
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2007, 04:32:42 AM »
Sunshine is awesome.

Note who is fascinated with staring at the sun (God).
Note which of the crew is willing to sacrifice themselves.
Note the motivation for the interference.
Note who is explicitly not afraid, and note what happens to that person.  Also note the religious status of that person.

The movie is a metaphoric minefield.  The inaccuracies in the science didn't bother me at all.  But it's one of those movies that people seem to hate or love, with no middle ground.
Support Range Voting.
End Software Patents

"Four people are dead.  There isn't time to talk to the police."  --Sherlock (BBC)

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2007, 06:54:09 AM »
I don't know, I thought the Transformers movie was remarkably similar in action/plot to some of the cartoons.  I think they did very good job of making the robots look nearly real.  Some parts like the little cell phone transformer were a bit cheesy to me. 
At least Morgan Fox got me through the early part of the movie.  They did a good job of finding ways to insert her cleavage into scenes.  Smiley
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2007, 03:52:24 AM »
I apologize in advance for this bit of necroposting, but I just found out "Aliens vs Predator: Requiem" comes out this Christmas. It looks interesting: Aliens & Predators on earth with hunters & military people thrown into the mix. I do believe I caught a glimpse of that Alien/Predator hybrid in the preview as well.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

HankB

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2007, 04:07:00 AM »
"Alien" and "Aliens" were good movies. When "Alien 3" came along, I figured they couldn't possibly make a WORSE movie in this genre . . . but was proven wrong with "Alien 4."

AvP wasn't as bad as Aliens 3 and 4 . . .

Now, if you want a really stupid, Stupid, STUPID movie in the science-fiction category (other than the dragon and giant snake movies they keep putting on the Sci-Fi channel) go rent Zardoz.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2007, 04:49:49 AM »
Now, if you want a really stupid, Stupid, STUPID movie in the science-fiction category (other than the dragon and giant snake movies they keep putting on the Sci-Fi channel) go rent Zardoz.

Or "Solaris", or "The Black Hole", or...the list stops here because my morning coffee has not kicked in.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

CAnnoneer

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2007, 07:20:03 AM »
Aaah, I must disagree. Solaris and Zardoz are classic hardcore Sci-Fi. Albeit, Hollywood did some butchering on Solaris with Clooney to turn it into much more of a film noir than it was supposed to be. Go rent the old Russian version for the classic look. IMO, good Sci-Fi is far more about ideas and people at odds with themselves and existence, than it is about technobabble and gadgetry. If you take the latter view, I agree, Zardoz would look stupid, but that is not its point.

A1-4 are all very different movies albeit situated in the same universe. A1 is horror, A2 is action, A3 is a sermon. A4 tried to be an action sermon horror, and so mostly failed. All movies had a lot of potential but none reached it completely. Still, all of them were entertaining, in different ways, and much better that the usual Hollywood spam.

AVP probably accomplished only 30% of what it could be. A few very interesting ideas were wasted by some atrociously bad writing,  a completely unremarkable cast of actors, and bad camerawork.

The AVP game for me was mostly the marine parts. Alien was annoying and Predator was too easy. To me, the best FPS is about a hero rising to fight incredible odds and triumphing by courage, skill, intelligence, and determination. If you are just a bug drone in a monster swarm, you are no individual hero. If the opposition are so hopelessly outclassed by your kit, where is the challenge?

In Sci-Fi, what I would like to see is a well-written, well-actored, lavishly made movie on the Warhammer 40K universe. I have some nifty ideas for a screenplay.

HankB

• friend
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2007, 10:08:03 AM »
In Sci-Fi, what I would like to see is a well-written, well-actored, lavishly made movie on the Warhammer 40K universe. I have some nifty ideas for a screenplay.
Actually, I'd like to see well-written, well-actored, lavishly made movies based on classic science fiction.

A Brit studio - Pendragon? - went about remaking Well's War of the Worlds as a period piece (Martian invasion in Victorian times), but production values were abysmal. It would've been nice to see it done with the budget of Tom Cruise's movie.

I'd also like to see some oldies like Doc Smith's Lensman or Skylark series of books made into movies - the technology to do them justice has existed since the original Star Wars. Or maybe something like J.W. Campbell's The Mightiest Machine.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain