Author Topic: Hamline University Student Suspended After Advocating Concealed Carry for Studen  (Read 1792 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Hamline University Student Suspended After Advocating Concealed Carry for Students

School Orders Psychological Evaluation

October 10, 2007

FIRE Press Release
ST. PAUL, Minn., October 10, 2007Hamline University has suspended a student after he sent an e-mail suggesting that the Virginia Tech massacre might have been stopped if students had been allowed to carry concealed weapons on campus. Student Troy Scheffler is now required to undergo a mandatory mental health evaluation before being allowed to return to school. Scheffler, who was suspended without due process just two days after sending the e-mail, has turned to the Foundation for Individual Rights in Education (FIRE) for help.

Hamlines punishment of Troy Scheffler is severe, unfair, and apparently unwarranted, FIRE President Greg Lukianoff said. Peacefully advocating for students ability to carry a concealed weapon as a response to the Virginia Tech shootings may be controversial, but it simply does not justify ordering a mandatory psychological evaluation.

On April 17, 2007, Hamlines Vice President of Student Affairs, David Stern, sent an e-mail to the campus community offering extra counseling for Hamline students in the wake of the Virginia Tech shootings. Later that day, Scheffler responded directly to Stern, arguing that Virginia Techs ban on concealed weapons was part of the problem and advocating that Hamline eliminate its similar policies. Scheffler also wrote that the universitys diversity programs may have angered some in the student body, himself included.

On April 19, 2007, Hamline University President Linda Hanson e-mailed the campus community again to address the tragedy at Virginia Tech. Scheffler responded directly to Hanson and again criticized the universitys concealed weapons ban, academic standards, financial policies, and the universitys efforts to promote diversity.

Hanson replied to Scheffler on Friday, April 20, offering him a chance to meet with university personnel to discuss his views the following week. Yet on Monday, April 23, before Scheffler was even able to respond to Hansons invitation, he received a hand-delivered letter from Dean of Students Alan Sickbert notifying him that his e-mails to Stern and Hanson were deemed to be threatening and thus an alleged violation of the Hamline University Judicial Code.

Sickberts letter also informed Scheffler that he was being placed on immediate interim suspension that could not be lifted unless he agreed to a mental health evaluation by a licensed mental health professional.

FIRE wrote to President Hanson on May 29, 2007, vehemently opposing the sanctions against Scheffler, since neither of Schefflers e-mails even came close to meeting the legal definition of a threat. FIRE also pointed out that Hamline maintains a Freedom of Expression and Inquiry policy that encourages the public expression of opinions and the freedom to examine and discuss all questions of interest. FIRE wrote that it is difficult to reconcile these admirable commitments to freedom of expression with Hamlines hasty actions against Scheffler.

FIRE also informed Hamline administrators that subjecting Scheffler to a mandatory psychological evaluation poses a grave threat to liberty at Hamline. FIRE wrote, A psychological evaluation, to be overseen by a Hamline administrator, is one of the most invasive and disturbing intrusions upon Schefflers individual right to private conscience imaginable. Because Scheffler has shown no proclivity toward violence and has made no threatening comments, this psychological evaluation seeks to assess his political opinions&.

Hanson responded to FIRE on June 11, 2007, claiming that there were several reasons for Schefflers suspension, including the e-mails, his failure to meet with administrators when invited, and critical input from various members of the Hamline community. FIRE addressed each of those claims in another letter to Hanson on September 17, 2007. Not only did FIRE reiterate that Schefflers e-mails were not threats, but it also pointed out that Scheffler was given less than one full business day before his suspension to respond to the invitation from school officials to discuss his views. FIRE also noted that the alleged information from various members of the Hamline community, which supposedly played a role in determining Schefflers sanctions, had not even been revealed to Scheffler himself, denying him the right to defend himself or present his side of the story. In a September 28, 2007, response, Hamlines attorneys refused to address FIREs concerns that Scheffler has been denied his due process rights.

How can Scheffler hope to defend himself when Hamline refuses even to tell him what he is accused of doing? FIRE Vice President Robert Shibley asked. Hamlines policies promise freedom of expression and basic due process to its students, but this case brings the sincerity of those promises into serious question. FIRE calls on President Hanson to either admit that the suspension and order for a mental health evaluation had no justifiable basis or give Scheffler all the information he needs to respond to the charges against him.

FIRE is a nonprofit educational foundation that unites civil rights and civil liberties leaders, scholars, journalists, and public intellectuals from across the political and ideological spectrum on behalf of individual rights, due process, freedom of expression, academic freedom, and rights of conscience at our nations colleges and universities. FIREs efforts to preserve liberty across America can be viewed at thefire.org.

Hawkmoon

• friend
Sic transit freedom of expression.

I guess freedom of expression at Hamlin applies only to the president and administration ... CERTAINLY not to the students.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ned Hamford

• friend
This is the reason why I, for the most part, keep my mouth shut at any place of education. 
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

LadySmith

• friends
  • Veni, Vidi, Jactavi Calceos
Universities aren't the places for the open exchanges of ideas and creative thought that they used to be.
Rogue AI searching for amusement and/or Ellie Mae imitator searching for critters.
"What doesn't kill me makes me stronger...and it also makes me a cat-lover" - The Viking
According to Ben, I'm an inconvenient anomaly (and proud of it!).

wmenorr67

• friend
Where is the ACLU?
There are five things, above all else, that make life worth living: a good relationship with God, a good woman, good health, good friends, and a good cigar.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American Soldier.  One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Bacon is the candy bar of meats!

Only the dead have seen the end of war!

Standing Wolf

• friend
FIRE also informed Hamline administrators that subjecting Scheffler to a mandatory psychological evaluation poses a grave threat to liberty at Hamline. FIRE wrote, A psychological evaluation, to be overseen by a Hamline administrator, is one of the most invasive and disturbing intrusions upon Schefflers individual right to private conscience imaginable. Because Scheffler has shown no proclivity toward violence and has made no threatening comments, this psychological evaluation seeks to assess his political opinions&.

Well, heck. It worked for Stalin, didn't it?
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

HankB

• friend
It has been remarked in the past that the only place Communism is alive and well is on American university and college campuses. (Or is it campi?)

The Soviets routinely used "psychological problems" as a pretext for taking punitive action against refuseniks - people who were unwilling to sing the praises of the Communist system.

It is TOTALLY clear that Hamline is following this same policy.

Funny how the mass media has "spiked" this story . . .

(If he DOES go in for this "screening" he ought to bring along a video camera & microphone . . . )
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Because Scheffler has shown no proclivity toward violence and has made no threatening comments, this psychological evaluation seeks to assess his political opinions&.

As bad as it looks, I'd like to see the e-mail before I decide.  So far, the only thing we have to go on is the press release of the group that is helping they guy.  Why should I take their word, alone?

Scheffler also wrote that the universitys diversity programs may have angered some in the student body, himself included.

This could be expressed in many ways:

"The university's diversity programs may be a source of resentment for some here." 

or

"F$%^ing ni$%#@s should ...."

I don't know anything about this school.  I did an internship in a university counseling center and they never ordered psychological evaluations.  Personally, I don't think they should.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
For those wondering what was exchanged between stiudent and university, look no further:

http://www.thefire.org/index.php/article/8475.html?PHPSESSID=17244a428fba0de591e95afb8b2862a6

<cut & paste into your browser as one long string - I don't know why is posted as 2 lines>

"FIRE" has the full exchange of e-mails and letters posted for all to see.

Then we can discuss.

stay safe.

skidmark
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Manedwolf

• friend
Where is the ACLU?

Busy defending terrorists and NAMBLA. They don't care one bit about 2A issues, you know that.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
Thanks for posting the letters.  I think Troy needs to work on his writing skills:

I have yet to hear a student in my cohort that is happy with the curriculum or quality of professors.

Why are you going there?  Transfer!

Furthermore, why are you diversity initiatives anti-Euro American (ie white folks)?
If I remember corrextly it was like 1 white in a picture out of like 12.
Maybe you can instruct your staff on sensitivity training towards us privilaged white folk.

Good grief.  I hope he isn't an English major.

That being said, I don't see anything that warrants a psychological exam...maybe a remedial writing class.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

Sergeant Bob

• friend
The e-mails were certainly not "PC" but, I found them in no way threatening.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Universities aren't the places for the open exchanges of ideas and creative thought that they used to be.

They are if you go with more leftist ideas.  Global warming, welfare for everyone, socialized medicine, bunny hugging extremeism, special rights to protected classes and intelligent design.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

auschip

• friend
The e-mails were certainly not "PC" but, I found them in no way threatening.

I agree, I didn't see anything threatening either.  Bad taste?  Maybe, but thankfully that isn't against the law (yet).

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
I read his e'mails...

Threatening - a real stretch there but if one is looking for an excuse to squelch the expression of opposing opinion as the school's admins obviously were...

The ideas the student expressed have been expressed both here and on THR many times, in many ways and most here and on THR would agree with them.

The way the ideas were expressed, however, were less than stellar. In this day and age of PC anything not expressed with a positive spin will go over about as well as the Bricks of Bubba thru a plate glass window.

The student should have found a spin-meister to edit/rewrite his thoughts before forwarding them on to the PC University Admin.

Better yet - if there even is such a place - transfer to a less oppressive institution of higher learning.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Ned Hamford

• friend
I'm rather sympathetic to his misrepresentation complaint.  Once you go someplace your stuck with the bills and the grades accummullated.  With your new 'bad' record transfering to a like quality place may not be possible.  And with the heavy debt accummulated... and the difficultly of transfering credits (may have to take an extra year ect).

I know I'm stuck at my current school.  While I seldom think myself targeted, I know the administration is filled with opportunistic bastards.
I don't tow the line.  I have had consuling suggested and have time and time again found rooms reassigned the day of scheduled events or new policies which seem to affect no orgs but the ones I belong to. 

While I find the guy's email's poorly expressed, I think his speech legitimate and worthy of protection.  Doubly so as I seem to agree with abunch of it.
 cheesy
Improbus a nullo flectitur obsequio.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Quote from: charby
Global warming, welfare for everyone, socialized medicine, bunny hugging extremeism, special rights to protected classes and intelligent design.

One of these things is not like the others......

And my I just say this makes me really want to go back to college. angry
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

wooderson

• friend
Where is the ACLU?

Have they been asked for assistance?

Eh, why worry about that kind of minor detail when we can whine about them evil ACLUers, right?
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

Manedwolf

• friend
Where is the ACLU?

Have they been asked for assistance?

Eh, why worry about that kind of minor detail when we can whine about them evil ACLUers, right?

Wooderson, just TRY to look at how many 2A claims the ACLU has ever helped with. Ever.

wooderson

• friend
This isn't a second-amendment issue, dude.

And I repeat the question.
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

wooderson

• friend
Though it occurs to me that if you need an example of where the ACLU Evildoers agreed with the Godly Gunowners, look at the recent laws in Texas about traveling with a handgun in your car.

m1911owner

• friend
WND had an article about this, which included excerpts from his emails.  The article was intended to be supportive of the student, but I found that his emails were rather creeping me out.

Completely ignoring the firearms issue, I'm thinking perhaps the school wasn't completely unjustified in wondering if that guy is playing with a full deck.

Len Budney

Completely ignoring the firearms issue, I'm thinking perhaps the school wasn't completely unjustified in wondering if that guy is playing with a full deck.

He certainly did his cause a disservice by combining 2A and affirmative action. That, combined with his sometimes-muddled expression, does have a slightly creepy effect; the only reason I'm confident he wasn't hinting that fed-up white folks might start shooting black folks is that I already had some idea where he was coming from.

--Len.
In a cannibal society, vegetarians arouse suspicion.

m1911owner

• friend
It further occurs to me that this comes on the heels of the VA Tech shootings (indeed, that was the impetus for the student's emails to Hamline), where VA Tech was widely condemned for failing to predict that their student would do what he did, and stopping him, and is now defending lawsuits for that "failure."

The actions of Hamline are a predictable result of the "someone should have done something" mindset that the media and vulture lawyers have demonstrated with VA Tech.  ("Nanny State", anyone?)

doczinn

• friend
This isn't a second-amendment issue, dude.
It's a first-amendment issue. But to leftists, it smells like the Second.
D. R. ZINN