Author Topic: Self defense in Dallas  (Read 718 times)

RadioFreeSeaLab

• friend
Self defense in Dallas
« on: October 10, 2007, 05:56:24 PM »
Lifted from xavierthoughts.blogspot.com

By Steve Thompson / The Dallas Morning News
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/100907dnmetrobshooting.2c97696.html

Customers picking up pants and shirts pulled up beside a large bloodstain Monday in the parking lot of Joe's Cleaners. Asked to describe his lethal encounter with a robber a few hours earlier, owner Joseph Baggett apologized for saying little. "I've still got work in there I've got to finish," he said.

But in between filling out police reports, pressing clothes and answering phone calls, the 53-year-old retired Army warrant officer gave his account. A man smelling of alcohol came into his store in the 1500 block of John West Road in Far East Dallas and then just left, Mr. Baggett said. A few minutes later, he returned, this time barging in holding a gun.

"The money's over there; go get it," Mr. Baggett recalled saying as he backed away from the counter and motioned toward the register. His wife ducked around a corner. The robber ignored him. "Turn around; we're going to the back," he said. He grabbed Mr. Baggett by the wrist and held the gun to the back of his head. "Where's the lady at?"

As they were headed for the back of the store, Mr. Baggett's wife emerged from behind them. She was holding Mr. Baggett's 9 mm handgun. "Stop it or I'll shoot you," she told the robber.

Mr. Baggett said he felt the robber's pistol come off the back of his head, so he spun around and grabbed it. "I don't think he was expecting that." The pair struggled a moment until Mr. Baggett pushed the robber away. Mr. Baggett's wife handed him the 9 mm, and he fired three times. A bullet hit the robber in the face.

The man stumbled out the front door and fell in the parking lot, still holding his gun. Emergency workers tried to revive him, but he was soon dead. Police didn't identify the robber Monday, pending notification of his next of kin. They said Mr. Baggett appears to have acted in self-defense, but the facts, as is routine, will be given to a grand jury. It was evening before Mr. Baggett found a chance to drag a hose around to the front of his store. In shorts and a cutoff shirt, he washed down the bloodstain before closing up shop

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
Re: Self defense in Dallas
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 03:41:59 AM »
I love to hear good news  laugh
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 05:00:24 AM »
Scary stuff.
Good on him.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 05:17:43 AM »
The city ought to reimburse Mr. Baggett the cost of the cleaning and cartridges.  It is the neighborly thing to do, since he saved Dallas taxpayers a lot of money.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Werewolf

• friend
  • Lead, Follow or Get the HELL out of the WAY!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 05:31:47 AM »
Emergency workers tried to revive him...

Don't those paramedics have anything better to do - like maybe take a doughnut break or help some little ole lady who's fallen and can't get up?

but he was soon dead.

Rehabilitation thru reincarnation... Gotta love it.
Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love
truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And never regret anything that made you smile.

Fight Me Online

Azrael256

• friend
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »
The city ought to reimburse Mr. Baggett the cost of the cleaning and cartridges.
Heck, I'd buy him a box of XSTs or something personally.

wooderson

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 03:44:17 PM »
Man, Dallas has gotten weird in a hurry. Three newsworthy self-defense shootings in like a month (the musician who got shot through a door, the SKS near Alliance, this).
"The famously genial grin turned into a rictus of senile fury: I was looking at a cruel and stupid lizard."

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 03:57:37 PM »
I'll tell you, Mrs. Baggett sure took a chance telling the robber to stop. I think she'd have been justified shooting him on the spot.

Yeah, I know, Monday morning QB.