Author Topic: Did I over-react or under-react?  (Read 7811 times)

Laurent du Var

• friends
Re: Did I over-react or under-react?
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2007, 10:16:11 PM »
Couple of questions :

In most of Europe you can't go into a shopping area  with a backbag,
normally Security people would ask you to but it into a consignement box or at least check the inside, how about Wal mart ?

How about going right up into the face of  those negative body language arms crossing eye rolling  middle easterners and talk to them : Hi, how are you doing you look a little lost here in the girly departement, can I help you or get one of the employees for you ?

I mean we know now that there was nothing going on, and if it was a try run for a terrorist act then we'll know soon enough. By the way it's your country,  if you see people whose behaviour you don't understand just go and find out.

Middle easterners allways have snot brakes, that's how you know !   

Vada a bordo, Cazzo!

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2007, 05:04:53 AM »
Holy Hell.  rolleyes

Next time, don't bother with the Feds or Wal-Mart Loss Prevention.

Call shootinstudent over to the store and avoid a 4-page debacle of nothing but two opposing sides urinating on the same electric fence.

To bring up his (shootinstudent's) original post:
How did you know they were middle eastern?
Prove that they weren't.

I really think this is an overestimation.  Look at how many shopping center and school massacres there have already been-they did not bring the US to a screeching halt.  Neither did the US shut down when the Virginia Tech shooting happened-this before we knew who the shooter was.
None were ever actually coordinated.  Remember the "DC Sniper?" Look what two nuts and a Bushy did to an entire Metropolitan area. 

Attacks on malls and walmarts are not likely to do anything except convince all but Zhawari and Bin Laden himself that the organization is one of common criminals.  That's the reason it hasn't happened already, and why it's not likely to happen in the future.
And how likely was the possibility of two fully-loaded jetliners taking out the WTC?
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2007, 07:03:33 AM »
Next time, don't bother with the Feds or Wal-Mart Loss Prevention.

Call shootinstudent over to the store and avoid a 4-page debacle of nothing but two opposing sides urinating on the same electric fence.

Thats great! Mind if I use that?
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2007, 01:37:16 PM »
Dionysus,

The point I was making about not recognizing middle eastern from other people is that any attempt to profile middle easterners will ultimately become "I'm suspicious of anyone with year-round tan and bushy eyebrows", so the profile doesn't even fit the target group.  I don't know if they were middle easterners or not, but that wasn't relevant to the point I was making about AZredhawk's racial profiling.  It was a low-risk situation for terrorism, and the racial profile doesn't even narrow down the suspicion to people from countries that have produced terrorists.  It just makes brown people of any nationality with bushy eyebrows more likely to have the Feds called on them because they went to walmart-that's not a good thing, imho.

None were ever actually coordinated.  Remember the "DC Sniper?" Look what two nuts and a Bushy did to an entire Metropolitan area.

Of course I remember it-I was there.  Despite what you might have read on the news, DC did not come to a screeching halt, the metro kept running, the stores stayed open, and people were able to buy groceries and get home after work to watch the 24/7 news coverage of the case.

What the sniper attacks did do was get people ready to support whatever search/seizure/gun-ban law that was thrown at them.  If DC weren't already under a total gun ban, the sniper case hysteria probably would've earned one.  But it wasn't going to get in the way of doing business.

And how likely was the possibility of two fully-loaded jetliners taking out the WTC?

That unpredictable part of that was the combination of two targets into one big plot-but the two targets themselves (airliners and the WTC) were not only predictable, they'd both been attacked in the past already.   Predicting that terrorists would hijack planes, and that they'd attack the WTC, was not difficult at all.  It already happened before September 11th.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Paddy

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2007, 05:47:04 PM »
Whatever.  Despite the hype, the Islamofascists have been unable to strike on American soil since 9/11, and I suspect we've killed tens of thousands of them in Iraq.  So keep pumpin' em out.  We still have plenty of ammo left.  grin