Author Topic: PA Homeschooler arrested - weapons cache & terror solicitation alleged  (Read 1466 times)

Patriot

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,301237,00.html

I *love* how the Fox News shows a picture of all these dangerous-looking guns, then says

The weapons found included a 9 mm assault rifle that the teenager's mother had recently bought for him, Castor said. Police also found about 30 air-powered guns, plus swords, knives, hand grenades, a bomb-making book, videos of the 1999 Columbine attack in Colorado and violence-filled notebooks. The weapons were plainly visible in the boy's bedroom, Castor said.

They found no ammunition for the most dangerous weapon, the assault rifle.

So he has ONE "real" gun (probably a Hi-Point carbine - how many other 9mm 'assault weapons' are there), a bunch of airsoft guns, cheap Chicom crap knives/swords, the anarchist cookbook, probably non-explosive grenade-shaped bb containers, and 'disturbed kiddo' paraphernalia.  There probably wasn't even any real ammo. 

Sounds like the kid is disturbed.  This whole thing apparently came to light after he tried to talk some student into helping him (said student went straight to police).  Allegations of confessing to police about planning a "Columbine-type" attack on a local public school.  Article said he's charged with 'solicitation to commit terror.'  I don't really have a problem with that.  The 'weapon cache' and 'homeschooler' aspects are going to be hyped out of all proportion.  That I do have a problem with. 

Manedwolf

• friend
Re: PA Homeschooler arrested - weapons cache & terror solicitation alleged
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 12:02:06 PM »
If a hi-point carbine is an "assault rifle", then a Geo Metro is an "armored personnel carrier".

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007, 12:53:24 PM »
Article says one of the grenades was live.   shocked  might be a good call after all.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Patriot

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007, 01:08:02 PM »
Article says one of the grenades was live.   shocked  might be a good call after all.

Didn't say it wasn't. 

I take issue with this: 

and this: 

and the fact that the news is making a big deal that he's homeschooled.  What does that have to do with anything?  You don't see "Black student goes on shooting spree" headlines about the Cleveland shooting.   rolleyes

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007, 01:25:39 PM »
I don't care for the fuzzy pictures of plastic guns either... but the article did mention that the cops considered one of the grenades as "live".  That's dangerous ordnance for unstable people.  That alone justifies grabbing the kid.

The pics are silly though.  And deliberately misleading.  Most of those are probably airsoft, not even bb-guns.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007, 01:39:23 PM »
I'm reading into this that a disturbed child had a real gun with no ammo, some plastic guns, and a "bomb" made with torn up firecrackers. I want to say that as of right now he had committed no crime, but then again I don't want to know what would have happened if he had gone on for another two weeks either. 
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007, 01:43:57 PM »
We very clearly have to ban home schooling.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 01:52:17 PM »
The news is now saying that they're considering charges against the parents for letting him have the "massive arsenal" shown there, not just the hi-point.

It's illegal for kids to have airsoft...?

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 01:54:39 PM »
Authorities also found one working hand grenade and three others that were still being assembled.
This could just mean that the spring is loaded so the handle will fly off.  They didn't actually say it would explode.  These police departments always seem to be creative in their wording to make things sound worse than they are.

It is great that they have a chance to talk or council the kid on his problems, but the "arsenal" is rediculous.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007, 02:07:47 PM »
Even Fox is screaming that HE HAD AMMO FOR THE 30 AIRGUNS...

WTF?

yesitsloaded

• friends
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007, 02:36:54 PM »
Do ya feel lucky punk, this right here is a piece of chinese junk. It shoots a 6mm plastic ball at maybe 200 feet per second. It might put an eye out if I can hit you with it. So do you feel lucky, do ya cheesy
I can haz nukular banstiks ? Say no to furries, yes to people.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007, 05:40:29 PM »
making a big deal that he's homeschooled.  What does that have to do with anything

Well, don't you know? Every young slave valued child must be under government oppression in public school. Home schooling just doesn't teach them to worship and obey the government everything they need to know, in the right manner.

Homeschooling is just plain evil, as evidenced by this article.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007, 09:39:43 PM »
and the fact that the news is making a big deal that he's homeschooled.  What does that have to do with anything?  You don't see "Black student goes on shooting spree" headlines about the Cleveland shooting.   rolleyes

I think you are being overly sensitive. 

The 14-year-old, who authorities said had felt bullied, was taken into custody after police raided his home in the Philadelphia suburbs on Wednesday evening. He had talked about mounting an attack on Plymouth Whitemarsh High School similar to the 1999 massacre at Colorado's Columbine High School, authorities said.

His educational background is going to be of interest if the above statement is true.  Besides, articles about people frequently contain background info about them.  If it is an adult, they say where they lived and worked.  If it is a child, where they are a student.

Well, don't you know? Every young slave valued child must be under government oppression in public school. Home schooling just doesn't teach them to worship and obey the government everything they need to know, in the right manner.

Homeschooling is just plain evil, as evidenced by this article.

Darn right, comrade.  This is the first step in the plan to outlaw homeschooling.   shocked
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2007, 06:39:39 AM »
Apparently, military surplus dewatted grenades are easy to rebuild, if you have blackpowder and the fusing device, according to the expert on Fox News Channel.

Anyone ever see these fusing devices on sale to the public?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2007, 08:34:48 PM »
The news is now saying that they're considering charges against the parents for letting him have the "massive arsenal" shown there, not just the hi-point.

It's illegal for kids to have airsoft...?

It is in Plano, Frisco, and Garland, TX. For that matter, any 'realistic appearing toy gun'.  That really stinks my cheese.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2007, 09:37:43 PM »
Apparently, military surplus dewatted grenades are easy to rebuild, if you have blackpowder and the fusing device, according to the expert on Fox News Channel.

Would blackpowder have enough power to shatter even the prestressed shell of those? I'd think it'd just be a small cannon.

slzy

• friend
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2007, 08:47:17 AM »
the kid looked like he needed to repeat gym a coupla times.

Barbara

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2007, 06:29:09 PM »
"Black student goes on shooting spree"

Eh, the kid was white. The school was majority black, but Asa Coon is white.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2007, 07:10:38 PM »

No, and I have a few of those dewatted grenades as desk paperweights in my office.  The last time I saw the press releases, they said the kid needed cannon fuze or something similar to make his grenades work.

Looking at my own grenades with their bottoms machined out and fuzes gone, I believe it would take less work to go to the hardware store and buy some threaded pipe sections and end caps, then proceed from there.  Throw some ball bearings or nails in there if you're looking for shrapnel effects.  Now watch, we'll have to sign registration logs to buy plumbing supplies...  undecided 

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

doczinn

• friend
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2007, 08:45:11 PM »
Asa Coon is white
And it's a damn lucky thing for Mr. Coon that he is!
D. R. ZINN