Author Topic: Fixing rust holes in a steel bird bath  (Read 2637 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Fixing rust holes in a steel bird bath
« on: August 18, 2005, 12:57:39 PM »
About five years ago I made my wife a rusty metal sculpture bird bath. Cut out three dove shapes from 18 gauge steel, pounded a bowl out of the lid from a 55-gallon drum, and then welded it all together. It turned out really nice, and she absolutely loves it.

Well, pounding that bowl made the metal pretty thin in spots, and it's now getting some holes in those areas. The metal is likely too thin in those spots for me to fill it in using my mig welder; I'd burn right through the existing metal.

Going the bondo route would look ratty, and would give way in no time.

So, any ideas on what I could use to patch the holes?

Thanks for any replies.

Paddy

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2005, 02:17:58 PM »
I can't really get a mental picture of the thing, but I think once metal is rusted, it's irrepairable.  Can you replace the bowl part with a new 55 gal drum lid and re-weld the sculpture back on to it?

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2005, 03:21:50 PM »
Gas tank sealant or garage floor epoxy.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2005, 03:54:03 PM »
Why not bondo and screen? I bet you could find someone who could make it look good..I think it takes a special talent to do, though.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2005, 03:26:52 AM »
If they are just pinholes, perhaps you could solder or braze them.

The gas tank liner thing might be a very good suggestion, as this is just what it's designed for.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2005, 04:58:17 AM »
Use fiberglass fabric and resin.

With some care and some paint, you'll be able to make it look pretty darned good.

My Grandmother had an old marble birdbath that cracked. She really loved it, so my Grandfather used epoxy and stainless steel pins to put the two halves back together, and then used fiberglass and resin on the interior. It's lasted for nearly 30 years.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

onions!

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2005, 02:05:51 PM »
Duct tape?

Seriously,what about lining the bath w/thin copper sheeting?I've seen some @ a craft store that came in sheets & could be cut w/scissors.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2005, 08:53:00 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

I've done tons of bodywork--welding, leading, and bondo--to know what works for cars. I'm proud to say that I took an absolute rust-bucket  of a 1969 Jaguar XKE (E-Type, for you purists) and tore it down to the last piece of metal and built it back up into a trophy car. Did pretty much the same with MG's, too.

But that was 20 years ago.

Seems like the epoxy/resin votes are in the majority. I'll give them a try.

Thanks again for the replies.

Stickjockey

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 01:22:33 PM »
+1 on the resin methods. Maybe try gas tank sealer, like POR-15 or such?

Is the metal too thin for you to cut the rusted parts out and replace with welded-in patches?
APS #405. Plankowner? You be the judge.
We can't stop here! This is bat country!!

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 01:52:59 PM »
Stickjockey, I made this bird bath when I still had my photo studio. IOW, I had 220 volts right there, my old Millermatic mig welder right there, and still could produce a halfway decent weld.

My welder is now sitting in the garage of a friend about an hour away, I don't have 220 volts outside, and my welding skills need refreshing.

As for just creating a new bowl, this is how I made the original: I took a 55 gallon drum, heated areas of the lid until they were red-hot, then beat on them with a mallet. For two days. The noise was deafening, even with ear plugs and muffs.

Somehow I don't think the neighbors would appreciate it. Wink

It really turned out quite well, though. I'll have to post a picture or two sometime.

Anyone who's been to an art show in the last few years knows how popular the rusty metal sculptures have become. And pricey, too. Don't know what this would sell for, but I had less than $20 into it, and it's one of my wife's favorite gifts.