Author Topic: Camera that "sees through" clothing?  (Read 2142 times)

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Camera that "sees through" clothing?
« on: August 20, 2005, 01:44:43 PM »
I recall stories from a few years ago about a camera that could "see through" clothing. One person I asked said that the story was a misrepresentation of the facts, and that no such camera really exists. Others have said they thought there was such.

Does anyone know whether such a camera exists?

And, no, I'm not looking to do anything kinky with one. Wink

...has left the building.

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2005, 02:41:15 PM »
My wife is a photographer and she told me that it is some kind of modified version of the Sony Nightshot. Basically you can see through light clothes and/or white clothing.

caseydog

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2005, 02:46:22 PM »
Dick , the story came from the early generation of digital camcorders with "low light" capability. Turns out that when you turned on the "night shot" feature during the daytime they could make certain types of clothes look almost invisible, when the story got back around to the camera manufacturers they modified the CCD pickups and night shot capability to all but eliminate the x-ray vision glitch.

So yes they existed but no you can't have a new one ! Smiley

Ray
Be kind as you speak to others , they may be facing demons you are unaware of...

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2005, 02:47:49 PM »
Maybe you are thinking of this: http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/2005-05-15-airport-xray-bottomstrip_x.htm

The agency in charge of the nation's air security expects later this year to begin using a controversial X-ray machine that will show airport screeners a clear picture of what's under passengers' clothes — whether weapons or just bare skin.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

Justin

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 03:03:08 PM »
Both casedog and Sindawe are correct.

The Sony camcorder was pulled from the market shortly after being released.

If only we were to be so lucky with regard to millimeter-wave scanning devices.
Your secretary is not a graphic designer, and Microsoft Word is not adequate for print design.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 04:09:07 PM »
Friend of mine has one.

IIRC light colored clothing is the most likely to be affected.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2005, 04:12:34 PM »
Yep.  The Sony with the nightshots could see through light colored clothes, although what you got was a blurry image, not crisp details.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

grampster

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2005, 04:15:22 PM »
If someone was looking at me, they would thank god all they got was a blurry image, not crisp details (without having a porcelain bus nearby, that is)  Tongue  cheesy
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

TMM

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2005, 05:08:41 AM »
that would be so cool...

~TMM

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2005, 05:15:23 AM »
the night shot is IR sensitive

if the body is warmer than the clothes
the camera sees the body

it resolved shape but not color

a cheaper high can be had by waiting for a shapely lass to walk though a beam of sunlight

http://www.3dstereo.com/Merchant2/graphics/00000001/glasses/xray_fr.jpg
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

mfree

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2005, 05:24:51 AM »
Any CCD camera that doesn't have the ruby-colored filter over the chip is IR sensitive.
IR illuminators can assume the intensity of a spotlight without anyone knowing.
Some clothing is see-thru by simple flash photography.
Some fabrics are IR-transparent.

Can you put that all together? Ok, then let me throw this in... you can get unfiltered CCD cameras from just about anywhere online, raw packages (no case, etc... just circuit boards) for ~$40. I know, I use one for an inspection camera at home, they're real handy to drop into vents to see just what died down there, stick 'em behind the furnace to see just what died back there, spaces behind walls to see what the previous owners stuck back there, etc.