Author Topic: I'm going to buy a .22 DA pistol  (Read 1355 times)

I'm going to buy a .22 DA pistol
« on: August 22, 2005, 09:04:01 PM »
Along with a copy of 'Fast and fancy revolver shooting'.

I'm not in the country anymore so I can't just walk out back a few dozen yards whenever I want to practice (Sad) but there is probably a good local range I can spend several hours a week at. Makarovs, Stars, etc, all are fine handguns but since I'm not actually going to be fending off any attackers with the pistol (that job is occupied by a 30-30 with some gee-whiz-bang saboted hunting round I inherited with it) or CCWing, the .22 makes sense. Plus I'll be able to score points with the guy who is no longer doing the actual store front but is still likely connected in some way to FFLing, he thought me trying to get a 9MM CZ75 was a horrible idea earlier and said I should go with a .22, I didn't like hearing it then but he was actually right.

So far I've narrowed it down to: a Ruger SP-101 3" or 4" or a Taurus 94 snubby/4". Anyone have personal experience with either of these?

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 06:11:41 AM »
I'd get the Ruger simply because it will probably never break and resale will be higher should you decide to get rid of it.

Greg

griz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 10:34:59 AM »
I've got the Taurus with the 4" barrel. I had to send it back a couple times to get it to quit spitting lead. Other than that I like it. Light, accurate, and an acceptable trigger. I believe the Ruger would also be a fine gun.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2005, 11:28:28 AM »
Probably get a lot more responses on THR.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

griz

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2005, 12:24:58 PM »
I was thinking the same thing Jefnvk. This may be the first thread sent to THR for being OT. Smiley
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2005, 04:26:02 PM »
Between the Ruger and the Taurus, I'd get the Ruger.

HOWEVER, my vote for the nicest .22 DA wheelgun is a S&W Model 17 or 18, AKA the K-22.  Look around for a used one, you won't be disappointed.

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2005, 07:32:45 PM »
Here's another vote towards a K-22. My dad had one that I learned to shoot with when I was still in single digit age.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein