Author Topic: Was I wrong?  (Read 12372 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Was I wrong?
« on: April 24, 2008, 05:24:19 AM »
This morning driving down a 45 mph to work I was being tailgated by a young woman in a Japanese SUV of some kind, had been for about a mile.  In her right hand was a cup of coffee, in her left hand was a cell phone she was talking on.  When I say tail gated, I mean really tail gated.  I could not see the top of her grill over the top of my trunk (older Toyota Avalon).  Traffic was admittedly going a little slow (35 instead of the speed limit) but it was moving well and the delay was far ahead of where we were.

Getting tired of this I gave her a brake check and she dropped both the cell phone and cup of coffee.  What was especially glorious about it was the cup of coffee flew forward and popped like a water balloon on her windshield.  My morning chuckle accomplished I continued to work.

I mentioned this to a coworker and she was aghast that I would do such a thing.

Was my little bit of road vigilantism wrong?  I don't think so.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Re: Was I wrong?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 05:31:11 AM »
Well, brake checks are common protocol in this situation right?  Not your fault she dropped her coffee...she should know better.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008, 05:35:06 AM »
I think you get extra points for the coffee drop.

Hopefully she learned a valuable lesson. It was someone like that who killed an award-winning jazz musician who was changing his tire on 495 in MA a couple of years ago, a guy who had defected from the Soviet Union and fought to achieve the American dream and all. Good musician, too. Some distracted lady in a behemoth of an SUV meandered into the service lane, hit his stopped vehicle in the tail and knocked it onto him, killing him instantly.

So I have no sympathy for the coffee spill, since she had NO hands on the wheel. I hope it damaged dash electronics. Good for you.

Ex-MA Hole

• friend
    • The Brown Bomber
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008, 05:36:32 AM »
I could be wrong, but I believe what you did constitues road rage, aggrsssive driving, driving to endanger and driving in the passing lane, no?
One day at a time.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008, 05:37:20 AM »
You're a hero in my eyes.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008, 05:38:44 AM »
Oh, I should note it was a 2 lane road with an incredible shoulder since the city decided we didn't need a 4 lane anymore.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2008, 05:47:04 AM »
*sigh*. Wrong? No. Right? No. Grey area.

Satisfying? Heh, more than likely. I do hope she figured something out from  the episode.

jrfoxx

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2008, 06:36:01 AM »
I think you get extra points for the coffee drop.
agreed. she shouldnt be tailgating, nor having her hands full while driving. serves her right.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2008, 06:54:41 AM »
Wrong?  Probably.  But some people are so damn self absorbed that they deserve a reality check sometimes.
Where I live, I think you have to be able to drive while on the phone holding a soy latte non fat whipped to pass the driver test.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2008, 07:05:35 AM »
I wouldn't have done it; I'd have pulled over to the right lane and let her pass.  But then, my policy is complete non aggression on the road.  That said, those who tailgate assume the responsibility for stopping IMO (and according to law).

I do hope karma pays you back, though.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 07:11:25 AM »
I wouldn't have done it; I'd have pulled over to the right lane and let her pass.  But then, my policy is complete non aggression on the road.  That said, those who tailgate assume the responsibility for stopping IMO (and according to law).

I do hope karma pays you back, though.

Again to be clear it was not a case of left lane vigilantism (which drives me as nuts as anybody else) as there was no left lane.  Due to asinine city planning this is a 2 lane road with the traffic somewhat stacked up in both directions.  The only way I could have pulled over would have been onto the shoulder and stop, then hope some kind soul would let me back in (unlikely on this road during the commute). 

I view it as pre-emptive self defense since there was a very good chance I would get rear-ended by her if I had to make a real emergency stop for whatever reason.  After the obscene gesture she did stop tail gating me.

Edit:  I tipe gud

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2008, 07:23:36 AM »
What obscene gesture?

She gave you one, or you gave her one?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2008, 07:27:57 AM »
What obscene gesture?

She gave you one, or you gave her one?

Her to me, I was laughing to hard to even consider one, not that I do that anyway.

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008, 07:31:02 AM »
gray area. but gloryfingly satasfactory.

ok, maybe not a gray area in this day and age, but still, satisfying!
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008, 07:34:47 AM »
Grey area since it's not your's or anyone's place to do that, and to simply MYOB and drive as safely as possible is the default best policy.

OTOH, I agree with the sentiment, and I'd be irritated at the woman too. It's a minor, but constant fear that Mrs. Dual will kill herself and our four daughters tooling about in the minivan multitasking while driving like that. So I'm in the "wrong but very sympathetic" camp here.
I promise not to duck.

mfree

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 07:37:22 AM »
Paddy, karma's done. Lady was tailgating, and she got creamered. Who's to say that if 41magsnub didn't brake-check her that day that she wouldn't have mowed a pedestrian down at a crossing the next day or rammed the back tire of a motorcycle in her inattention?

The Annoyed Man

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 07:48:53 AM »
Again to be clear it was not a case of left lane vigilantism (which drives me as nuts as anybody else) as there was no left lane.  Due to asinine city planning this is a 2 lane road with the traffic somewhat stacked up in both directions.  The only way I could have pulled over would have been onto the shoulder and stop, then hope some kind soul would let me back in (unlikely on this road during the commute).

I view it as pre-emptive self defense since there was a very good chance I would get rear-ended by her if I had to make a real emergency stop for whatever reason.  After the obscene gesture she did stop tail gating me.

Ah yes, one of those PITA two lane roads that always runs bumper to bumper.  Well, there was nothing else you could do I suppose.  You are thus absolved.  laugh

Tailgaters are especially annoying to me; I drive a small fuel efficient vehicle most of the time and it's typically an SUV on my ass in an attempt to intimidate.  I get the last laugh, though, because I'm getting 40mpg and they're not.

mfree
Paddy, karma's done. Lady was tailgating, and she got creamered. Who's to say that if 41magsnub didn't brake-check her that day that she wouldn't have mowed a pedestrian down at a crossing the next day or rammed the back tire of a motorcycle in her inattention?

Thinking like that is annoying because it's dishonest.  He didn't 'brake check' randomly or for the purpose of brake checking.  He did it to stop her from tailgating.  You know it, I know it and he knows it.

xavier fremboe

• friends
  • All-American Meanie
    • The Shop
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 07:55:17 AM »
I totally understand where you're coming from, but I've made the decision to no longer brake check.  Consequences are too high.  Instead, I keep cleaning my windshield until they back off.  You'd be surprised to see how well it works.  Third time some one has to clean their windshield from my overspray and they usually get the picture.
If the bandersnatch seems even mildly frumious, best to shun it.  Really. http://www.cctplastics.com

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 08:00:26 AM »
What, no one carries a sack of ball bearings or a box of roofing nails anymore?

Wimps.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 08:08:43 AM »
^ Typical white person.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 08:15:22 AM »
I imagine she thinks you owe her a cup of coffee and a spray bottle of Armor-All.  She learned nothing.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Manedwolf

• friend
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 08:26:10 AM »
I totally understand where you're coming from, but I've made the decision to no longer brake check.  Consequences are too high.  Instead, I keep cleaning my windshield until they back off.  You'd be surprised to see how well it works.  Third time some one has to clean their windshield from my overspray and they usually get the picture.

Yes, that's the equivalent of taking a wiz at the driver tailgating you. It works quite well!

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2008, 08:29:29 AM »
I don't think you did anything wrong. It's not like you started following her around and driving at her real aggressive or did anything to cause any actual danger. Something that I like to do but have only been able to get it to work about twice now is to slowly keep speeding up way past the limit and wait for them to realize how fast they are going when they all of a sudden slow waaay down, Cheesy.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

PTK

• friends
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »

I do the same thing, and there's MUCH less chance of getting rear-ended like there is with "brake checks".
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

41magsnub

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2008, 08:46:00 AM »

That's not a bad idea, I need to get out my pick set and adjust the nozzles to get a little more altitude to be effective though.